Ford Y-Block Engines: How to Rebuild &…

Ford Y-Block Engines: How to Rebuild & Modify (Workbench How-to)

by Charles Morris

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Once again, I gave this book to my son-in-law. He thought it interesting and helpful in many areas. He did say that some key points were missing, but didn't go on further with that thought. Based on what he said about the book, I give this one 4 stars. He's kept it and passed it onto his other mechanic friends. ( )
  KWoman | Jan 19, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
So, I originally signed up to review this book because my boyfriend loves working on cars. And I have a Ford. So, I thought, this will help him work on my car!

Haha. I know nothing. Anyway, he loved the book despite it not being useful for any car we actually own, and then he gave it to his dad who is a real gearhead, who also read it. They both loved it, so I think if you know what you are doing and whether you actually need this book or not, it's probably great! ( )
  msfabian1 | Sep 15, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I must admit that I was surprised by the contents and quality of this book. Step-by-step dis-assembly and assembly instructions were provided in an easy to follow manner with excellent pictures to explain the process. I especially enjoyed the diagnostic chapter which helps guide the process of rebuilding an old engine. This book is an excellent general purpose reference as it addresses the common problems the majority of people will encounter in rebuilding or modifying a Ford Y-Block engine. The only drawback is the lack of information regarding the less common problems that might be encountered when rebuilding the subject engine. It certainly leaves you wondering if there will be a follow-on book which addresses the less common problems. ( )
  Taurus454 | Sep 8, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have received several of CarTech's books from the Early Reviewers program. As a technical writer, I'm looking at the book from several different angles. I'm amazed by the information put together by the author - they really are the expert on their subject. The pictures are wonderful and illustrative - they help the reader, they're useful. ( )
  spacmann | Aug 26, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed the book and I learned a lot at about engines. I am not a mechanic so I was exposed to terminology which I believe a mechanic would automatically know. The author goes overboard in regards to safety. But as a non-practitioner, I don't have an appreciation for the dangers of rebuilding an engine. Though there are ample photos, I found that there were many narratives that were not illustrated. Again, probably because I am not a mechanic. This book is probably better for someone who has a Ford Y-block that he can disassemble and for those who already have worked on engine blocks. Overall, reading the book was pleasure for me.
  ljohnshipley | Jun 29, 2014 |

In this Ford Y-block step-by-step engine rebuild and high-performance book you are shown how to machine and prep the block, refurbish the cylinder heads, and select the optimal rotating assembly for a particular horsepower level.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Charles Morris's book Ford Y-Block Engines: How to Rebuild & Modify was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible