Conscious Millionaire: Grow Your Business by…

Conscious Millionaire: Grow Your Business by Making a Difference

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm not sure what I was expecting with this book, but I wasn't really expecting that much of a sales pitch for his product. The few pages talking about his working with his dad's company were interesting, but I didn't really find much that was interesting to someone that didn't already own a business. ( )
  CharlesSvec | Oct 7, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm not clear how this book was already an "International Bestseller" as the front of the book claims, in its first publishing run. Its Amazon ranking is 214,175 and I found no mention of it on the NY Times or other bestseller lists. It's published by Crum's own publishing house, Conscious World Press LLC and there could be some funny business going on.

That same funny business is pervasive throughout the book. There are 16 (yes, I counted) trademarked phrases like "Conscious Millionaire Coaching", "Conscious Millionaire Visualization", "Conscious Millionaire Business Model" and "Conscious Millionaire Business Model". "Triple Win" is also a winner. There's nothing wrong with that necessarily, but I don't get the impression that the content is truly intended to make you a conscious millionaire.

The book continually redirects the reader to the web site with QR codes to videos and coaching sessions on his web site. And of course at the end of the book he invites you to join his Conscious Millionaire Masterminds for an unknown cost. This book may result in millions being made, but they'll be coming out of the pockets of the readers.
  jaden | Aug 5, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A note about these newly posted non-link reviews.

There is frequently a “pig in a poke” aspect to a lot of my book acquisitions these days, either being dollar store discoveries or review copies. In neither case is there a lot of consideration up front, but at least at the dollar store I'm able to thumb through the book. In the case of the LibraryThing.com “Early Reviewers” program, we get a paragraph of promo copy to decide if we're interested enough in the title to “request” it … and frequently what's in the pitch isn't necessarily what's in the book.

This is one of those LTER books. J.V. Crum, III's Conscious Millionaire: Grow Your Business by Making a Difference certainly sounded interesting – a guy who was following a newage/Buddhist path that turned his family business around into a muli-million dollar operation, and then sold it to go on to other projects … and supposedly telling the reader how to do this too. Unfortunately, the book isn't so much a personal story as it is a pitch for his organization … while the basic levels (which are required to actually “use” the book) are free, one gets the impression that he's going to be in your pocket sooner or later.

Now, I have a SERIOUS aversion to any of these “success seminar” kind of things, having been dragged through various permutations of that sort of circus over the years, and I have never run into one that was as profitable for the attendees as it was for the presenters. Just sayin'. So, when the author heads off in that direction in this book, he pretty much lost me. I was interested in a book about growing (or developing – the book is lagely targeted to folks already running companies) businesses “by making a difference”, not an indoctrination session into whatever particular snake oil is waiting behind the curtain.

I also wanted to read the book not jump in and out of it to the ConsciousMillionaire.com site, but the book is structured to have you start all sorts of journals and workbooks. I was NOT interested in “taking his course” (at least not at first touch), and there was no practical way to get much out of this book unless you submit to those demands. And demands there are … all through the book there are “Coaching” sections with stuff like this:

Open your Conscious Millionaire Journal. Describe the value your business provides to each of the seven stakeholders. Also describe the value each stakeholder provides to your business.

I kept reacting angrily to these because A) I wasn't playing along with the Journal, B) I don't have a particular “business” to anchor this stuff on, and C) because of this, I'm not likely to have the stakeholders this section is talking about (which are 1 – Owner-Entrepreneur, 2 – Investors and Lenders, 3 – Team Members, 4 – Customers, 5 – Suppliers, 6 – Society and Community, and 7 – Environment).

There was also a lot of material that didn't seem to make much sense in the course of the book … he has an evolving pyramid with five levels: Conscious – Focus – Action – Result – Learning, with sub-divisions depending on the section (primarily in the “action” level) that kept appearing in each chapter, along with additional “Coaching” sections which, frankly, seemed like “wave a magic wand and have these swell things happen”. There is a lot of saying stuff like: “Select your top three to five business values. Communicate them to your team, customers, and suppliers.” … but nothing concrete for any particular scenario.

I will admit that maybe if one had slavishly started the book with all the step-by-step journaling and worksheet assignments (and had a business with which to work), one might have something to extract one's specifics from … but I did not “sign up” to take this guy's COURSE, just to read and review his BOOK.

There are some “nice” bits and pieces in Conscious Millionaire which, if embraced by assorted business owners, would make them much less like the classic MBA cutthroats and more considerate for their community and world … but, again, not much of this is concrete in the reading. It appears that the reason that this was in the LTER program was that it's a new paperback edition of a book whose hardcover was (in the words of a cover blurb) an “international bestseller”.

If you are a business owner, and you want to consciously move towards being a millionaire, and are amenable to jumping into a whole system of self-assessments, you might get something of use out of this book. If you're hoping, however, to have an expository walk-through covering the subjects of the book, you're pretty much out of luck. The way this is structured, if you're not coming to it with a business that has “a team” and customers and suppliers that you have actual contact with, there's not much “there” there, as without delving into the stuff on the web site, it's pretty close to platitudes and wishful thinking.

Since this has only been out since March (oddly, the same date is on the Amazon page for the hardcover, so I have no idea how it got to be “an international bestseller”!), it's not gotten particularly cheap through any of the channels. However, unless you're in the niche for whom this is generally targeted, it's definitely one I'd suggest you skip – there's nothing in there of use to a reader, and especially one who is not already running a business.

CMP.Ly/1

A link to my "real" review:
BTRIPP's review of J.V. Crum, III's Conscious Millionaire: Grow Your Business by Making a Difference (1049 words)
  BTRIPP | Jul 23, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I work in the public sector and my husband owns his own business. I was hopeful about this book, more for the conscious part than the millionaire part. As a small business family, my biggest takeaway from this book is that it offers some helpful tips, but for someone to implement what Crum suggests, I think readers would feel pressure to join his coaching program in order to drill-down further into some of these areas.

There are also some useful tips in here. I was able to make sense of his conscious focused action model, I enjoyed the maximize your results daily & create an abundance mindset chapters, and overall enjoy the concept and not sure if there are other books like this. Yet, at the end of the read, and re-read of some chapters, it left me with a sense that most readers wouldn't find it thorough enough to really work with. For example, there is a section that was developed on NLP techniques. Crum notes that he did two decades of study on NLP, but what he offers from that experience seems too, I don't know surface, to be of much use.

He shares a compelling story of starting work as a young man in his father's company and his work to transform it into a million dollar company. He also shares his quest for personal enrichment, and notes participation in programs at Esalen Institute and others as having an impact on him. Perhaps his passion and experience would come through more in his program... for those interested in such a thing.
  bookcaterpillar | Jul 10, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Conscious Millionaire is a business self-help book which includes a lot of general self-help type advice. There is nothing here that I felt I hadn't heard before. But what is special about this book is that it offers a highly organized, almost obsessively organized, strategy for implementing change. Crum's passion is felt at each detailed step along the way. This is a book not to read but to keep at hand and study. If you are looking for a success guide book, this is one to consider. ( )
  byebyelibrary | Apr 19, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0976719223, Paperback)

Conscious Millionaire provides a revolutionary approach to building and growing a business. In the book, the author introduces a new universal model that helps entrepreneurs, business owners, managers, and leaders grow their companies while achieving their higher purpose in life. Groundbreaking in its formula, this step-by-step approach combines raising one's consciousness with a bottom-line methodology to building a business. Conscious Millionaire is about creating wealth in ways that are honest, provide high value, and will have a positive impact on today s society.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:51 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book Conscious Millionaire was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,353,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible