My Family and Other Hazards: A Memoir by…

My Family and Other Hazards: A Memoir

by June Melby

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Interesting topic but it gets a little boring describing all the details of the miniature golf course. And the repetitive things that happen.
I liked it that it is about a real story. ( )
  brigitte64 | Jan 31, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I tried to like this book, I really did. Unfortunately, the poinency of the memoir style is drowned in the awkwardness of the book's wording, the slowness of the the pacing, and the general dullness of the content. The author made a valiant effort to draw the reader into the oddness and quirkiness of her familial situation, but it simply falls flat. Honestly, not a book I'd recommend that any of my friends spend precious time on reading. ( )
  MissWoodhouse1816 | Oct 22, 2014 |
My Family and Other Hazards was a fun and quick read. The way June Melby intertwines the past and the present is presented in an easy way that does not make it difficult to follow.

The history of the various hazards are told as if you are there.

The interaction between family members reminded me of my own sisters and me. The eldest being the bossy one. Who doesn't have that family dynamic whether in New York City or the Chain of Lakes are in Wisconsin?

I really did enjoy this book and I recommend it for anyone. ( )
  KittyHughes | Oct 14, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Now an adult, June Melby has conflicted feelings when her parents inform her that they are retiring and selling the family business: a miniature golf course. Taking us back to the 1970s, June reflects upon her unique childhood with both humour and warmth.

We tag along as her family travels each summer from their home in Iowa to nearby Wisconsin to run this family business. Using the hazards along the course, June illustrates life. Each hazard is representative of a basic element, a lesson in life. She shares the lessons learned along the way, applying them to herself and her family.

In this entertaining memoir, we also learn the colourful history of miniature golf and its place in modern Americana. The memories are sweet like cotton candy, and easy like a summer breeze.

This is a perfect summer read, especially for other “baby boomers” like June Melby, and myself. Enjoy. ( )
  nightprose | Oct 6, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thoroughly enjoyable memoir of the summers of the author's childhood - when her family ran a miniature golf course on a lake in Wisconsin, with a little miniature golf history thrown in for good measure. ( )
  cransell | Sep 1, 2014 |
Most miniature golf courses have a first hole that is designed to be easy.

A funny, heartwarming memoir about saying goodbye to your childhood home, in this case a quirky, one-of-a-kind, family-run miniature golf course in the woods of Wisconsin

When June Melby was ten years old, her parents decided on a whim to buy the miniature golf course in the small Wisconsin town where they vacationed every summer. Without any business experience or outside employees, the family sets out to open Tom Thumb Miniature Golf to the public. Naturally, there are bumps along the way. In My Family and Other Hazards, Melby recreates all the squabbling, confusion, and ultimately triumph, of one family’s quest to build something together, and brings to life the joys of one of America’s favorite pastimes. In sharp, funny prose, we get the hazards that taunted players at each hole, and the dedication and hard work that went into each one’s creation. All the familiar delights of summer are here—snowcones and popcorn and long days spent with people you love.

Melby’s relationship with the course is love-hate from the beginning, given the summer’s freedom it robs her of, but when her parents decide to sell the course years later, her panicked reaction surprises even her. Now an adult living in Hollywood, having flown the Midwest long ago, she flies back to the course to help run it before the sale goes through, wondering if she should try to stop it. As the clock ticks, she reflects on what the course meant to her both as a child and an adult, the simpler era that it represents, and the particular pains of losing your childhood home, even years after you’ve left it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:38 -0400)

"When June Melby was ten years old, her parents decided on a whim to buy the miniature golf course in the small Wisconsin town where they vacationed every summer. Without any business experience or outside employees, the family sets out to open Tom Thumb Miniature Golf to the public. Naturally, there are bumps along the way. In [her memoir], Melby recreates all the squabbling, confusion, and ultimately triumph, of one family's quest to build something together, and brings to life the joys of one of America's favorite pastimes"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

June Melby's book My Family and Other Hazards was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,654,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible