Casting the Net (The Dunbridge Chronicles)…

Casting the Net (The Dunbridge Chronicles)

by Pam Rhodes

This second installment in the Dunbridge Chronicles is just as good as the first. I enjoyed reading of life in the English town of Dunbridge and its central church, St. Stephens. Neil, the curate, has more experience now but still has a lot to learn. His romantic life continues to confound him. There is also much sadness in the life of his church also. As hard as some of it is to read, I like it because it is real. Life in any church will include triumphs and tragedies; not all is rosy and sunny all the time. I like the mixture of humor and sadness that Rhodes portrays in her books. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Feb 13, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Casting the Net is book 2 of the Dunbridge Chronicles. In this book we find that the pastor Neil Fisher settles in some with his congregation and tries ministering to them. In a small town setting, this can prove to be interesting and has its challenges as well as its rewards. Neil also has his own personal challenges in the romance department.

The easy to read style of the author's prose is quite enchanting and very mesmerizing. I found myself captivated and finishing the book in record time. The ending sets us up for book #3 - one I'll certainly be watching for! ( )
  tweezle | Jul 24, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked this light easy-to-read book that deals with serious issues from the Christian perspective. Life in Dunbridge is far from peaceful and the Neil, the curate has many crises to face, not the least being his vicar's loss of faith. It's full of interesting characters, painting a picture of life in a small town. ( )
  BooksPlease | Jul 6, 2014 |
In this second book in the delightful Dunbridge Chronicles, Neil Fisher has become a newly ordained Anglican priest. The book focuses on his relationships with his parishioners as well as on his personal relationships. There is an unexpected twist at the end of the book which sets the stage for book three, If You Follow Me, due out in October. I hope this charming series has a long life. ( )
  JoStARs | Jun 14, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Casting the Net provides a good picture of modern life and religion. Neil Fisher has personal problems as well as problems ministering to his congregation, who are a mixed bag such as we are likely to find today. In his personal life, he must choose which woman is better, the one who would make an ideal, typical clergyman’s wife or the won who is different and pretty far from that ideal. The big problem he faces is that he feels sparks with one and not with the other. He also encounters a congregation who are accepting and not so accepting of the way things are changing in today’s world and religion. How Neil deals with all this makes for a pretty good and interesting story. The book is not all that long and reads pretty fast because the author has developed a folksy, easy writing style. The characters are true and easy to relate to. The situation is very believable. This is a good book for someone who might want to explore the life and decisions of an Anglican priest as he makes his way through his early years. The writing reminded me of the Mitford series books, but that may be due to the similar subject matter. I think anyone who enjoyed those books would find this series equally as refreshing and enjoyable. Though I normally do not read books of this genre, I found this one easy to read and get into, as I think many other readers would. I received this from Library Thing to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Jun 13, 2014 |

Neil returns from his ordination inspired by his vocation, and determined not to let his love life get in the way. Some might think a man lucky to have two women declaring their love for him, but it's not that straightforward when you're a priest! Neil's second year as curate of St Stephen's, in the small town of Dunbridge, promises to be no quieter than the first. There are joys to be celebrated, worries to be shared, and bereavements that shake the community to its core. And of course, there are the women who mean to take care of him - from his domineering mother, Iris, who appears to have moved in, and Wendy, who knows she'd make him the perfect wife, to Claire, who doesn't believe in God, but does believe in Neil...… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Pam Rhodes's book Casting the Net was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,335,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible