Creativity: The Perfect Crime by Philippe…

Creativity: The Perfect Crime

by Philippe Petit

it's a complete surprise that the man who plans and accomplishes batshit crazy feats is also batshit crazy in his description of how he accomplishes his feats, isn't it? if you prefer rules and "steps to follow to become creative," this book isn't going to do it for you, but it will provide a close example of what it may be like to be inside Petit's wonderfully scattered-yet-determined brain. ( )
  weeta | Jul 5, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had hoped that Creativity: The Perfect Crime by Philippe Petit would be more of a workbook. Instead the copy I received was an uncorrected proof of text and handwritten scribbles on photocopied paper. Even if I had realized that it was more of an autobiography than a workbook before I requested it, I wouldn’t have been pleased with quality of the copy received. Just writing this review to get it out of my queue.
  LTalias | Sep 1, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Creativity: The Perfect Crime by Philippe Petit has the feel of having been written in fits and spurts; therefore, it may be best to read in this manner, also. It is as if Petit has frequent outbursts of thought regarding topics such as serendipity, his mental process of preparing for his stunts that include high-wire walking (which perhaps he is best known for -- especially his walk between the WTC twin towers) and juggling, what kind of writing tools he prefers, and such.

As a result of how this book is presented, it took a long time for me to read this. I'd pick it up, read for a while, put it down and pick it up again a day or two later (or longer). It's interesting to see what goes through Petit's mind and I admire his highly focused efforts on how to accomplish his feats, but this book actually seems to be unfocused in its efforts to keep the reader engaged.

I also feel that the title is misleading -- it is not about how the reader can delve into his/her own creativity, but rather it is a book about Petit's own creative process which is highly individualistic. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Aug 5, 2014 |
It is probably just me, but it took everything I had to force myself to keep reading this book to the end. Petit writes in his foreword to the book, "Make no mistake. I frown upon books about creativity."

Perhaps he should have listened to his instincts here. Some things just can't be written about, perhaps. ( )
1 vote debnance | Jun 1, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Creativity offers the reader an intriguing tour through the life and mind of Philippe Petit. While the book does offer some helpful insights into Petit’s own creative process, I do not know how quickly I would recommend it to others. The most helpful portions of the book, in my opinion, were the vignettes that showed how the practices of creativity can facilitate innovative problem-solving strategies. ( )
1 vote Daniel_Durbin | May 26, 2014 |

"In the vein of The Creative Habit and The Artist's Way, a new manifesto on the creative process from a master of the impossible. Since well before his epic 1974 walk between the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center, Philippe Petit had become an artist who answered first and foremost to the demands of his craft-not only on the high wire, but also as a magician, street juggler, visual artist, builder, and writer. A born rebel like many creative people, he was from an early age a voracious learner who taught himself, cultivating the attitudes, resources, and techniques to tackle even seemingly impossible feats. His outlaw sensibility spawned a unique approach to the creative process-an approach he shares, with characteristic enthusiasm, irreverence, and originality in Creativity: The Perfect Crime. Making the reader his accomplice, Petit reveals new and unconventional ways of going about the artistic endeavor, from generating and shaping ideas to practicing and problem-solving to pulling off the "coup" itself-executing a finished work. The strategies and insights he shares will resonate with performers of every stripe (actors, musicians, dancers) and practitioners of the non-performing arts (painters, writers, sculptors), and also with ordinary mortals in search of fresh ways of tackling the challenges and possibilities of everyday existence"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Philippe Petit's book Creativity was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible