Midnight by Mari Adkins

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
So many things in this just did not make sense - almost-inappropriate relationships, cappuccino machines in a small town mid-80s grocery, an bizarre love triangle or two - but the biggest problem was the plot was just not engaging. It was hard to follow and lacked a sense of cohesiveness. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jun 18, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won a review copy and I just could not get into the book. I tried several times and finally gave up on it. Sorry it was not enough to keep me interested ( )
  Crazy_Bunny_Lady | Jul 19, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It took me a while to catch on to what the author was doing here in her work and I thought I was going to have to be negative about this review. In reality, Ms. Adkins has put a new spin on the world of vampires. This tale is told by a 22 year old woman who is in the process of deciding whether to become a fully "turned" vampire herself. We experience her doubts and confusion through an alcohol and marijuana haze. She has been severely abused by a former love and was abandoned as a child into the hands of grandparents who died when she was still too young to care for herself. With no real family or friends she falls into a family of vampires and their culture and must decide whether to become one of their kind. These are not the vampires of Hollywood or the original literature. It is a difficult read at the start until you realize what is happening to this young woman. My thanks to the author and LibraryThing for a complimentary copy. ( )
  musichick52 | Jul 2, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review as part of the Early Reviewers program. Brief plot spoilers may follow.*

Brief summary: Sami flees her abusive boyfriend Adam after a particularly brutal beating, seeking solace with her old friend Steve after a couple of years apart. The Steve she remembers and the Steve she meets now are quite different, however, and so is the town that he lives in. After arriving, Sami struggles to reconcile herself with her past and move on from her relationship and in the process she learns to rely on Steve and two new people he brings into her life. These new people, Jeremy and Michael, have a significant effect on her life and as Sami comes to a place of self-healing, she discovers a lot about herself and those around her.

I took quite the trip while I was reading Midnight. When I first started reading this book, I didn’t like it. Towards the middle of the book, I wasn’t sure what to make of it. Within the last 30 pages or so of the book I had an “ahhh, now it’s beginning to make sense” moment. Now that I’m finished with it, I’ve realized that I don’t feel one way or the other about it. There were still a lot of things that didn’t make sense to me, but seeing as how this is the beginning of a series these things will probably be cleared up in the next installments. The book in general was very abrupt in a lot of ways and I didn’t really get clear transitions from scenes, emotions or characters at all. I don’t have too much to say about any of the characters; I didn’t get to learn a lot about any of them in order to have a definitive opinion. I can say that after awhile Sami’s mood swings, irrational/contradictory emotional responses and crying started to wear on my nerves and I felt she was being extremely greedy with both Steve and Jeremy. Didn’t like that at all. I’m not sure how correct I am with this theory (probably not correct at all lol) but the first half of the book, when Sami was either sleeping, crying, drinking or smoking, the book did not flow well at all, and seemed to parallel Sami’s muddled state of mind. Towards the end, when she finally gained a bit of clarity about her situation and what her next couple of steps would be, the book finally began to make some sense to me, earlier situations began to clear themselves up and it wasn’t so hard for me to understand what was going on. I still have an issue with how the book flowed in general; it just didn’t have a fluid progression. I found myself questioning exactly what was going on and trying to make sense of things just as Sami was because for the longest time, there were no answers, the book seemed to jump from one spot to another, and I couldn’t put very much together. It was towards the end that I realized how much of this was about Sami awakening and embracing her chance at something new, on a number of levels, and many of the things I had found confusing earlier now made sense. If it was intentional on part of the author, I really liked that as Sami discovered and felt new things, so did the reader. I found myself growing infuriated with the three men as they continued to withhold information from Sami, I found myself curious about the mysterious objects they all seemed to have in common, and I was just as confused about what it meant to ‘awaken’ and what Sami needed to do.

The supernatural and magical elements had their place in the story, but strangely enough they didn’t overwhelm the rest of the plot. In fact, I think the lessons in the story and the growth that took place as the book progressed could have all occurred without the supernatural and magical. To me, Midnight was largely about growth and when I stripped away the supernatural elements, it was still about growth. Normal life situations, like loving, mending fences, learning to rely on others as well as self, were all explored in this book and something I liked was that learning these lessons was not entirely dependent upon the presence of supernatural abilities. I won’t go as far as to say the supernatural/magical parts were an afterthought, but they certainly weren’t at the forefront. I saw more of the magical parts of the book than I did the vampire parts. So if you’re looking for a vampire-based book like many of the others that are out there, this isn’t the book for you. Even though vampires are part of this story, you don’t get the typical situations that you’d expect from a vampire novel, which isn’t entirely a bad thing. They were much more ‘human’ than you’d come to expect if you’ve read a lot of supernatural novels and come into the book with an idea of what you’d be reading.

I wasn’t a terribly large fan of the book as a whole, but I’m open to reading about more of Sami’s path to self-acceptance and how things go in her life now that her awakening has begun. I’d like to see if she really does grow or if she continues to require coddling, all the while saying she doesn’t need it. I’m also not a fan of the cover art but that’s neither here nor there. Lol If I had any suggestions, it would be to get the book to flow just a little better and not be in so many places at once. It tends to get a little confusing and you struggle to figure out what the major points being made are.
  mandygirl.10 | Jun 10, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewers Book Club. I received this book free in exchange for an honest review of it.

Samantha - Sami - is a twenty-two year old college student. She lives in Richmond, Virginia with her boyfriend. One night, he starts beating her worse than ever and she knows she needs to get away or he is going to kill her. She escapes with her car full of stuff and her cat and heads just drives. Unconsciously, she ends up looking for someone she loved, Steve.

She finds him and he lets her stay at his house with her. Things start to look better for her for a while. Until she starts digging around into things that she shouldn't mess with. She ends up falling in love with a nineteen year old senior in high-school. She is in love with Steve and Jeremy at the same time.

She starts to realize things about Steve, Jeremy and others in the town where she is. Steve keeps telling her that she needs to get out of there but she doesn't listen to him. He says the town will slowly start to kill her and she soon realizes what he means.
---------------------------------------------
My Personal Opinion:

I really enjoyed this book. It doesn't seem as it the others who have reviewed this book have liked it but I did. If I don't like a book, either I don't finish reading it or I let my opinion be known about it.

This book is not like the traditional vampire books that are out there. This one was much more enjoyable than them because the vampirism is not at the forefront of the novel.

The ONLY problem I did not like was the ending of the book. It ends all of a sudden. I SERIOUSLY hope there is a second book to go along with this one and I hope that I am able to review it as well. If this is where the book ends and there is no other books, then I will say it is a bit of a disappointment. ( )
  Katy.Halsema | May 30, 2014 |
~ darkness doesn't have to mean evil
For Stephen and Jeremy
Running away without a plan sucked.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mari Adkins's book Midnight was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Mari Adkins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,436,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible