Little Rooms by James Lewelling

Little Rooms

by James Lewelling

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It might simply be a matter of taste, but I honestly couldn't find much to like in this work. The only positive thing for me was that it was a short read that I could finish rather quickly.

The story seems to lack a clear plot line - at least, I couldn't find it. The characters move along, meeting and losing one another, without any clear direction or story line. For me, this made the story impossible to get into; I had no idea of where the story was going and never became interested in the story.
The characters remain flat and emotionless, their actions incomprehensible. The story is disjointed, making it hard to follow the characters from one scene to the next. I did not feel a connection to the characters, and it also didn't seem like the characters had any real connection to each other.
Finally, I found the language irritating. The author uses formulaic expressions that he keeps repeating, and it got to be really annoying after a while.

I'm glad I'm done - I would not advise anyone else to read this. ( )
  Britt84 | Jul 9, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There are romantic novels that tickle your fancy and erotic ones that raise feelings and emotions. There are mystery thrillers that make your heart race as you rapidly read to the next reciting twist and turn. There are fantasies that take you out of your time and place and deposit you in another you have only begun to imagine.

This novel is all of the above. It takes the reader on a trip through a fantasy, where the characters might be from some other place, or maybe not. Does the mirror reflect ourselves or another dimension? We travel with the Parson Smith, his better half, Mary Smith, Jack and Little Jack, Mona and Henry. Have we fallen down a rabbit hole, or are we seeing yourselves ten years in the future? Is what we see real, or will we turn the page and realize it was all in our minds?

The reader must be open minded and aware of the story being told. It is not so casual a story like the menu for takeout pizza. This novel is not for everyone. It will either grab you and throw you out of the story or capture your mind and cause it to read slowly as not to miss a single piece of the story.

The author has accomplished something that many others cannot, and broken the mould of the simple genre novel. Well worth reading for the experience. ( )
  Don.Young | Aug 4, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have not had that much experience with reading existential or stream of consciouness writings. The characters here entertain each other with "hooch" drinking. Their actions or non-actions seem to stem from an alcohol induced stupor. Time has slowed, painfully, making this read difficult to enjoy. I amused myself by putting on a psychologist's hat, hopping onto the couch and trying to analyse the motives behind the behaviors. As a teacher, I feel it's my job to see the good in everyone's artistic efforts. If you cannot do the same, this will be a challenging read for you. I received a complimentary copy of this short novel as part of the LibraryThing monthly giveaway program. It came with an arsenic-laced email from the publisher that if I did not give the book a positive review, I would be blacklisted. I quake with fear in anticipation. Pass me the "hooch." ( )
  musichick52 | Jun 17, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I agree with all of the other reviews. I also received the nasty email when we won the book, but I tried to read this book anyway. The writing is bad and it is just to disjointed to spend the time to read. ( )
  HeatherBennett32 | May 13, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As others have noted, I was hoping the problem with this book was mostly the publisher's nasty email and that the book itself would at least be worth a read. Not so. Maybe the author was going for surrealism or some other alternative narrative structure, but the book resembles nothing so much as computer-generated spam. I got about 10 pages in and gave up. ( )
  gbcmars | May 12, 2014 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

James Lewelling's book Little Rooms was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,398,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible