Walking Contradiction by Nancy Jane Moore

Walking Contradiction

by Nancy Jane Moore

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's time for another embarrassingly late book review, this time for LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Nancy Jane Moore's _Walking Contradiction_ is an entertaining collection of science fiction stories -- well outside the normal purview of my LibraryThing collection, but well worth reading. The common thread between these eight stories is the question of what it means to be human; in most cases here, that question centers on what role gender plays in identity. That question is front and center in the title story and "Nohow Permanent," as both stories' narrators are "ambi" (or, as the latter narrator puts it, "mostly" female). "Walking Contradiction" itself is skillfully told, full of intrigue and estranged regret; if it's over-exposited at times, that's made forgivable by the narrator's film-noir profession and tone. Here and elsewhere, there are moments when Moore starts to sound like Robert Heinlein, whether in references to the "troubled" years or in sentences like "All the people -- and not people, and not quite people -- made Vlad nervous" (113), reminiscent of gender-bending stories like Heinlein's "All You Zombies." The stories "Borders," "Gambit," and "In Demeter's Gardens" are a little less memorable, all featuring female protagonists in (relatively) near-future military scenarios, but told capably. "Blindsided by Venus in the House of Mars" is a tragic love story that weaves a nice twist into interstellar travel; if it challenges gender assumptions, it's only because of assumptions the reader may bring to the text. "Or We Will All Hang Separately" completes the collection, with a post-apocalyptic tone that still manages to remain more hopeful than some of the other stories included here. Altogether, Moore's talent shines frequently in this book. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for more of her work. ( )
  The_Scaffold | Jun 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
2015-01-27/0%: Something about this one has me really interested. Love the dedication.

2015-02-09/100%: Some good stuff, some weird stuff, some meh stuff. Overall pretty good. I think this is the best Early Reviewers I've read so far. ( )
1 vote Awfki | Apr 25, 2015 |
10 Words: Future worlds, Future worries. All based off current problems extended.

Walking Contradiction is a collection of seven short stories. Each story is set in some time along the Earth's future. All the stories are self contained, but I do think a few of them are directly related. It also feels like its possible that they all are related.
The stories talk about the consequences of the actions of present day people living on earth, the way we have treated natural resources, the way we are often at war. They expand and explore the direction our actions could take us, and show a not too hopeful future, yet for the most part it is one that is trying to redeem itself. ( )
  kittyNoel | Aug 2, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A collection of previously published stories imagining life in the near or more distant future. Most of the stories feature female or mostly female protagonists. All of them grab your attention from the start and keep you wondering what will happen next and how it will all turn out. Some have a dystopian aspect or demonstrate the wide-ranging effects of war. A creative anthology. ( )
  TracyLord | Jul 5, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Like many of the other reviewers, I began reading with an expectation of some serious sci-fi schtick. I was pleased to discover that, like the very best sci-fi out there, these stories are about the characters. Sure it takes place in imagined futures, but the character is in the driver's seat. I found myself actually reluctant to start reading the second story, having become somewhat attached to the protagonist of the first. Definitely worth your time. ( )
  mizami | Jun 27, 2014 |

Nancy Jane Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, JulieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For every woman who ever read an adventure story and wanted to be the hero, not the hero’s girlfriend.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nancy Jane Moore's book Walking Contradiction was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,426,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible