Blue Labyrinth by Douglas Preston

Blue Labyrinth

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Series: Pendergast (14)

English (51)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All (54)
Bizarre and completely unbelievable but I can't stop listening to this series! ( )
  SevenAcreBooks | Jul 11, 2018 |
The farther along in the series, the more I question whether I'm truly a Pendergast fan. I think the problem is I've learned too much about him and his family. I didn't mind Diogenes so much, but I fell behind on reading the trilogy involving his late wife and stalled on White Fire. Honestly, I never actually finished White Fire. With my husband's encouragement, I discarded the book and moved on to Blue Labyrinth. Still, I was afraid I'd not be able to finish this one and that would be the end of my enjoyment of Pendergast novels.

This isn't Relic. I knew that going in, but I'm still hoping for something like it, or perhaps like Still Life With Crows. Even Cabinet of Curiosities was an exciting read. I enjoy mysteries, so I did enjoy Blue Labyrinth. But it's just that, a murder mystery with a sprinkling of vengeance here and there. This felt more like a Holmes story. Right now, I'm at the point with Constance where I was at when first introduced to Smithback. I don't like the character. I know others do and I can't fathom why. Is it her history with Enoch? Or perhaps her time on Earth? Great, she's good at reading and Googling.

So here's your challenge, Douglas and Linc, write until I do like her... like you did with Smithback.
*pouts*
I still haven't forgiven you for that stunt.
Ok, enough of my complaining. Did I like the book? Yes. It isn't my favorite Pendergast novel; however, I did finish it, so that's saying something. I'm a slow reader and, I find myself even slower with the Preston/Child novels. Why? Because I like to enjoy them and not skim past their descriptions. Like a fine wine...or rather, an ice cold sweet tea on a hot day. That's what I enjoy most from their writing. They manage to transport me to that moment in time, that place, where it almost feels as if I'm an actual spectator as the scene plays out.

Favorite part? I'm curious as to which author is more gruesome or if it's a combined effort, but I truly enjoyed that final fight scenes with Constance. I know, I know...I said I don't care for her. It really has to do with their descriptions, again.

"Windmilling his arms, he staggered first one way, then another—the flesh literally melting from his bones as the stream cut into him—before blindly throwing himself into the pond. As he hit the water, a cloud of vapor rose up and spread slowly over the waters as the man convulsed."

That's just part of several chapters where Constance goes berserk on the men in the greenhouse. There's actually an even better description, but I'd rather leave that as unspoiled.

Overall, this was a fun read. Not my favorite, but still great writing and entertaining. I still question my fondness for Pendergast. I swear I'm not a Watson fan. I'm partial to Holmes, which is why I started reading the Pendergast novels in the first place. However, if fans can believe it, I found myself enjoying the D'Agosta scenes more and more. I've missed him! ( )
  santaflash | Jan 2, 2018 |
The book starts off with a bang! The murdered corpse of an enemy shows up on the doorstep to Agent Aloysius Pendergast's home and later on during the autopsy a turquoise is found in the stomach of the deceased. This stone will lead Pendergast on a hunt to find the killer of his enemy and this killer is out for revenge that will put Pendergast life in danger!

It's action from the start, just the way I like it. It's great to read another excellent book by Preston & Child about Agent Pendergast. I did miss Corrie Swanson in this story, but she had a prominent role in the last book so I shouldn't pout. It was good to have Vincent D'Agosta and Margo Green helping Pendergast in this book. Constance Greene is also lending a hand, which is a good thing because of her knowledge of the Pendergast family history and Pendergast will need all help he can get!

Someone in the Pendergast family caused something years ago that affects present time and now Pendergast has to fight for his life and his friends must do their utmost to save his life.

It's a great book. Very enjoyable and forward driven all the time. I didn't like it as much as the last book White Fire, but as I stated above, I just adore Corrie Swanson, I have since the first time I read Still Life with Crows one of the best books in the series. But anyway, it's still a really, really good book!

Btw: I still wait for Hollywood make movies about Agent Pendergast with Paul Bettany in the title role! I need a remake of The Relic with Agent Pendergast in it!

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Good read ( )
  ibkennedy | Dec 13, 2017 |
Bored. So bored. Slow moving, uninspired writing. ( )
  kallai7 | Mar 23, 2017 |

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Auberjonois, ReneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The stately Beaux Arts mansion on Riverside Drive between 137th and 138th Streets, while carefully tended and impeccably preserved, appeared to be untenanted.

A long-buried family secret resurfaces when one of Aloysius Pendergast's most implacable enemies shows up on his doorstep as a murdered corpse. The mystery has all the hallmarks of the perfect murder, save for an enigmatic clue: a piece of turquoise lodged in the stomach of the deceased. The gem leads Pendergast to an abandoned mine on the shore of California's desolate Salton Sea, which in turn propels him on a journey of discovery deep into his family's sinister past. But Pendergast learns there is more at work than a ghastly episode of family history: he is soon stalked by a subtle killer bent on vengeance over an ancient transgression. In short order, Pendergast is caught in a wickedly clever plot, which will leave him stricken in mind and body...and may well end with his death.

"A long-buried family secret resurfaces when one of Aloysius Pendergast's most implacable enemies shows up on his doorstep as a murdered corpse. The mystery has all the hallmarks of the perfect murder, save for an enigmatic clue: a piece of turquoise lodged in the stomach of the deceased. The gem leads Pendergast to an abandoned mine on the shore of California's desolate Salton Sea, which in turn propels him on a journey of discovery deep into his family's sinister past. But Pendergast learns there is more at work than a ghastly episode of family history: he is soon stalked by a subtle killer bent on vengeance over an ancient transgression. In short order, Pendergast is caught in a wickedly clever plot, which will leave him stricken in mind and body...and may well end with his death"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,314,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible