Hyperbole by Ryan Parmenter

Hyperbole

by Ryan Parmenter

121768,668 (5)None
comedy (1) dystopian (1) fiction (1) humor (1) Kindle (1) mystery (1) Prime (1) sample (1) satire (1) to-read (5) transgressive (1)

Wow. I’ve just finished reading Ryan Parmenter’s ‘Hyperbole’ and even now I’m still reeling from it—in the most positive terms, of course. I’m a huge fan of dark humor, and nothing pushes my buttons better than a well-written, masterfully crafted darkly humorous book like this. But don’t take my word for it: just check out even the first few chapters and see.

If Kurt Vonnegut, Joseph Heller and, on a lesser sense, David Sedaris would somehow have a threesome, then Ryan Parmenter would be the literary offspring: his brand of humor would remind you of the other greats, but you staggeringly recognize Parmenter’s distinction. This is most powerful in ‘Hyperbole’—who knew some huge catastrophe could provide a setting for a terrible, yet powerful “looking glass” for humanity—one in which we can see our follies and, if we’re smart and self-aware, laugh at them, too. If we are honest, we’d admit to being able to deeply relate with, for example, Harland—but then again, the book is populated with a motley crew of characters who, in many ways, served as compelling “vehicles” for Parmenter’s satire.

Overall, my only regret with ‘Hyperbole’ is I would have loved it to continue endlessly, so that I’d have something to look forward to reading as I start my day. Parmenter’s comic genius lies not in the obvious, but in the interstices of the pedestrian and absurd, which makes his own brand of literature much more effective in leaving our jaws on the floor. If there’s any book you’re thinking of reading today, make it this book—and prepare to be bowled over. A solid five-star rating for this one. ( )
  jblazarte | Mar 3, 2014 |
Nothing happens all the time.
Dying for a cause is overrated ... I'd rather die for nothing.

DC gets destroyed
Harland gets rather wasted
It gets funnier

Ryan Parmenter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,060,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible