The Secret of Lost Things by Sheridan Hay

The Secret of Lost Things (2007)

by Sheridan Hay

Recently added byheatherf, private library, allthingswords, diana.n, scottsdalebookgirl, Hughie2

The Secret of Lost Things. Sheridan Hay. 2007. Pat gave me this book when we were at the beach, and I started reading it there. When a Tasmanian woman’s mother dies, her mother’s friend gives her a ticket to NY City. She is hired to work in an enormous bookstore full of old and new books and an odd assortment of people. Her supervisor, a mysterious albino involves her in a mysterious search for a lost manuscript of Herman Melville. Bookstore, weird characters, secret manuscript—all the things I like to read about, but somehow it did not come together. Maybe it is because it took me so long to read it. ( )
  judithrs | Oct 14, 2013 |
Rosemary Savage is only 18 when she leaves Tasmania to find a new life for herself in New York City. Still grieving for her mother who passed shortly before she left, Rosemary has a difficult time adjusting to life in the big city, where nobody knows her and she is completely on her own. After a couple of weeks living in a temporary women's apartment house, Rosemary finds a job in an extremely popular though unusual used bookstore, where she is the only female employee, apart from a transgendered cashier named Pearl. As Rosemary is a floater, she helps out in all of the sections and works with a number of odd characters. Though Rosemary develops a secret crush on a celebate employee, Oscar, the floor manager develops a crush on Rosemary, and entwines her into a situation where she must work for him. As Rosemary becomes more settled and starts to make friends outside of the bookstore, she finds herself in a complicated set of alliances between different people involving the possibility of a lost Melville manuscript. Rosemary is young and confused about whom she should trust when she uses her resourcefulness to research Melville's history and fully understands what might be at stake.

I thought this was a very charming novel with an interesting immigrant storyline taking place in a mysterious dusty bookstore. It was infused with the love of books, learning, and the history of literature. Really, a fantastic setting for a great novel. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I hope the author decides to write more! ( )
  voracious | Sep 23, 2013 |
The setting for this novel is about as interesting as the characters who are a pretty odd mixture of people. The characters are so odd they are more caricatures than real people. However, the mixture is a good one so it makes for a fun and interesting read for those of us that love a bit of mystery, a bit of literary history, and a bit of the bizarre.

This is just a fun read and nothing more - not great literature and not particularly a book that will linger in your mind, but there's nothing wrong with that. ( )
  maryreinert | Aug 23, 2013 |
“The Secret of Lost Things” by Sheridan Hay

Rosemary Savage, is raised in Tasmania by her mother, a hat-shop owner. On her 18th birthday her mother dies. Rosemary is taken in by her mother’s only friend, Chaps, who owns a
bookstore. A month after her mother’s death Chaps, buys
Rosemary a plane ticket to New York City. At first Rosemary, is insulted and thinks that Chaps is just trying to get rid of her. Chaps explains that she is buying her a way out of a life of isolation and loneliness. Upon arriving in NYC Rosemary moves into a women’s boarding house and acquires a job at the largest used bookstore in NYC.

What is “The Secret of Lost Things?” you will have to read this fantastic story to find out. But rest assured once you pick this up you won’t put it down until you’ve finished. Sheridan Hay creates a modern-day Dickens-eque tale in her debut novel.
  TamaraJCollins | Aug 13, 2013 |
Thriller, or something, set in the world of rare books. The author mistakes 'grotesque' for 'characterisation'; a rookie error, and an easy one to make. But dull to try to wade through. ( )
  phoebesmum | Nov 20, 2012 |
Hay's debut has all the elements of a literary thriller, but they don't quite come together.

When Hay leaves the 19th century and bounds back to the weird world of the bookstore, she’s a lyrical, exciting writer. Rosemary is an unspoiled innocent, a quality that attracts the others, and it’s partly because of her that the novel, while so literary in its aspirations, isn’t pretentious.

". . . for experience, the only true knowledge . . ."
-- Herman Melville
The Confidence Man
For Michael, my own tempest
I was born before this story starts, before I dreamed of such a place as the Arcade, before I imagined men like Walter Geist existed outside of fables, outside of fairy tales.
I was a small sultana, my treasure counted in the currency of trifles.
For her part, Chaps was too well read to be considered entirely proper. Books had made her unreasonably independent.
I knew books to be objects that loved to cluster and form disordered piles, but here books seemed robbed of their zany capacity to fall about, to conspire. In the library, books behaved themselves.

Author was a clerk at the Strand Bookstore (NYC) on which "The Arcade" bookstore is based.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 030727733X, Paperback)

Eighteen years old and completely alone, Rosemary arrives in New York from Tasmania with little other than her love of books and an eagerness to explore the city. Taking a job at a vast, chaotic emporium of used and rare books called the Arcade, she knows she has found a home. But when Rosemary reads a letter from someone seeking to “place” a lost manuscript by Herman Melville, the bookstore erupts with simmering ambitions and rivalries. Including actual correspondence by Melville, The Secret of Lost Things is at once a literary adventure and evocative portrait of a young woman making a life for herself in the city.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:40 -0400)

Rosemary, a young woman recently arrived in New York from Tasmania, is pulled into a tangled mystery involving a lost manuscript by Herman Melville known as "The Isle of the Cross."

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,781,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible