Moral Minds: How Nature Designed Our…

Moral Minds: How Nature Designed Our Universal Sense of Right and Wrong

by Marc Hauser

Recently added byprivate library, jel52, Geo_Dude, Josuewm, mitchell.whitaker, Alan-M-Whatton, MaggieClark

Sadly, this very enjoyable read will forever be tainted by the finding that Hauser is guilty of scientific misconduct:

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2010/08/harvard-dean-confirms-miscondu... ( )
1 vote getdowmab | Aug 20, 2010 |
This books' stated goal--to describe human's universal morality as Noam Chomsky described human's universal grammar--is ambitious. However, the author spends more time marveling at the potential consequences success than actually moving towards a robust/useful model of humans' moral faculty.
Section three reads like a sequel to Hauser's "Wild Minds", describing and dissecting dozens of recent behavioral psychology expermients involving non-humans.
Worthwhile for the lay person curious about evolutionary psychology. ( )
1 vote seanpmurray | Apr 9, 2007 |

Marc Hauser's eminently readable and comprehensive book Moral Minds is revolutionary. He argues that humans have evolved a universal moral instinct, unconsciously propelling us to deliver judgments of right and wrong independent of gender, education, and religion. Experience tunes up our moral actions, guiding what we do as opposed to how we deliver our moral verdicts.

For hundreds of years, scholars have argued that moral judgments arise from rational and voluntary deliberations about what ought to be. The common belief today is that we reach moral decisions by consciously reasoning from principled explanations of what society determines is right or wrong. This perspective has generated the further belief that our moral psychology is founded entirely on experience and education, developing slowly and subject to considerable variation across cultures. In his groundbreaking book, Hauser shows that this dominant view is illusory.

Combining his own cutting-edge research with findings in cognitive psychology, linguistics, neuroscience, evolutionary biology, economics, and anthropology, he examines the implications of his theory for issues of bioethics, religion, law, and our everyday lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:46 -0400)

An intellectual exploration of the psychology and biology of morals argues that the human race has evolved a universal moral instinct that unconsciously guides individual and collective beliefs about what is right and wrong.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible