Little Mercies by Heather Gudenkauf

Little Mercies

by Heather Gudenkauf

2203552,892 (4.01)10

First book I've read by this author and it won't be the last. I absolutely loved this book. There are two stories in one. It's about a social worker who leaves her baby daughter in the hot car accidently and pays the price. It's also about a runaway girl trying to find her extended family. Great storytelling and I loved all the characters. Good ending. At first I didn't like Jenny but after finding out about her past, I understood about why she acted like she did. ( )
  booklover3258 | Aug 12, 2017 |
This book grabbed your attention from the beginning. When getting to the part where the life altering mistake was about to happen, I wasn't sure I wanted to go on, as I was pretty sure what was going to happen. Something that could happen to any of us with our hectic lifestyles. Definitely something to think about. The life altering consequences might have been somewhat simplified - might be worse in real life. But, hey, this is a book. Books should give us a break fro real life! ( )
  sarahjvigen | Mar 23, 2017 |
Review to follow ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
The premise of this story is really every parent's worst nightmare. To inadvertently hurt your child through your own actions is such a scary thought. I enjoyed the character development however thought that some of the story could have had a little more teeth to it. The way things wrapped up for the main character didn't seem completely believable even though that is what I was routing for. Interesting topic that needs to be re-emphasized in today's non stop society. ( )
  tinkerbellkk | Jan 24, 2017 |
2.5 maybe 2.75- I am torn about how to rate this book- it was good, very good, right up until the last 40 pages and then it was utterly ridiculous. The ending was so trite and unbelievable after all of the turmoil in the rest of the book that it spoiled the entire book for me. Gudenkauf lost the thread on both plot lines and then rushed to tie the entire story up in a nice, neat bow which was super disappointing and extremely irritating. I will read her next book- hopefully it will be good throughout. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |

In her latest ripped-from-the-headlines tour de force, New York Times bestselling author Heather Gudenkauf shows how one small mistake can have life-altering consequences…

Veteran social worker Ellen Moore has seen the worst side of humanity—the vilest acts one person can commit against another. She is a fiercely dedicated children's advocate and a devoted mother and wife. But one blistering summer day, a simple moment of distraction will have repercussions that Ellen could never have imagined, threatening to shatter everything she holds dear, and trapping her between the gears of the system she works for.

Meanwhile, ten-year-old Jenny Briard has been living with her well-meaning but irresponsible father since her mother left them, sleeping on friends' couches and moving in and out of cheap motels. When Jenny suddenly finds herself on her own, she is forced to survive with nothing but a few dollars and her street smarts. The last thing she wants is a social worker, but when Ellen's and Jenny's lives collide, little do they know just how much they can help one another.

A powerful and emotionally charged tale about motherhood and justice, Little Mercies is a searing portrait of the tenuous grasp we have on the things we love the most, and of the ties that unexpectedly bring us together.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:53 -0400)

Veteran social worker Ellen Moore is a fiercely dedicated children's advocate and a devoted mother and wife. But one blistering summer day, a simple moment of distraction will have repercussions that Ellen could never have imagined, threatening to shatter everything she holds dear, and trapping her between the gears of the system she works for. Meanwhile, ten-year-old Jenny Briard suddenly finds herself on her own, forced to survive with nothing but a few dollars and her street smarts. The last thing she wants is a social worker, but when Ellen's and Jenny's lives collide, little do they know just how much they can help one another.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,933,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible