A Walk in Paris by Salvatore Rubbino

A Walk in Paris

by Salvatore Rubbino

In my opinion, this is a good book but there are some things that make it a little difficult to read, especially if young children are reading it. I like this book because the illustrations are very detailed and interesting to observe. The illustrations match with what the text is describing. It clearly helps the reader to understand the text and be able to picture the text. For example, on page 13 the text says the boulevard leads to a square where lots of people are greeting one another. In the illustrations, it shows people saying Bonjour, which means Hello. It also shows people standing together and talking and hugging. I also liked that the text has the story but then also has little bits of information on the pages. This helps the reader know more about Paris and information about Paris. This book is informational while also being a good picture book. For example, on page 18 toward the bottom of the page, the text says the French flag is known as the Tricolore, which means “three colors”-blue, white, and red. The index of the back of the book was helpful because it told me what page to look on if I wanted to learn about a certain place in Paris. That makes it easier to find the page instead of searching through the book. For example, on the index, the Eiffel Tower can be found on pages 16 and 37. The text in the book was clear to understand. For example, on pages 22-23, the text is written in bold black and the information is written in thin black. This helped with knowing the main text from the information of Paris. The main message of this was that not all places around the world are the same. Paris doesn’t look like Maryland, it does with the building and streets and all but not everything is the same. We always think of other places look like ours in some ways and they do but each place is different in its own way. ( )
  kmassa3 | Mar 5, 2017 |
This was a really cool book to read. It gives you a lot of imformation on Paris and some of the places you can go if you ever visit Paris. The book was difficult to read so I would use it with upper elementary students. ( )
  apd105 | Nov 10, 2016 |
Probably most people don't think about architecture or urban planning on a daily basis. Most kids certainly don't. And yet, never are we more aware of the impact these things have on us than when we're traveling around a strange city. Is it easy to find where you're going? Can you get there by public transportation? Are the streets not only safe for strolling, but pleasing? Is the streetscape an interesting mix of old and new, or does it stick to a familiar style that makes it hard to case the age of buildings? What will you see, walking down the street, especially if you're looking from a position closer to the ground, much of your view blocked by adults?

I have no idea which of these questions Rubbino might have asked himself before starting such a book. But this is way cool: an older adult and a child walk around Paris, looking around, seeing some tourist sites, but also just taking in the daily activity. There's a map on the endpapers, and a fold-out Eiffel Tower, and the art is evocative, informative, and engaging. It'll make you want to go outside and walk around your hometown, whether or not it attracts a lot of tourism.

I can't wait to read the rest of these. I hope he does every major city in the world. And also, this weekend, I'm looking forward to walking around my old town, maybe even visit some thing I never have before. Or maybe just the farmer's market, the bookstore, and the chocolate shop. Nummy.

Library copy. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
This fictional informational book, is a tour around Paris, guided by a little girl and her grandfather, who delights her with history about buildings, and explain aspects of the culture, and the French language. Very detailed illustrations showing the architecture and map of the city in pale beautiful colors. The cartoon art represent in a stereotyped fashion the elegance of the city with slender well dressed people with pointy shoes, walking on the streets, and painted in watercolor and ink.
  eearly15 | Apr 3, 2016 |
“A Walk in Paris” is a great book for several reasons. First, a little girl and her grandfather go on an adventure to the city of Paris, France. The author, Salvatore Rubbino takes these two on an adventure through the city while visiting the most common places to visit when in Paris. The story is about the famous landmarks these two encounter throughout the whole book. Through Paris, they explore museums, restaurants, the metro, and cathedrals that they enjoy together, along with trying to enjoy the city itself. Second, Rubbino’s detailed and beautiful illustrations capture the life and color of trip that the girl and her grandfather take together through Paris. The bright colors and simple drawings combine perfectly to show the easy, happy time they have visiting Paris together. Another reason I like the book is that it has so many aspects to attract younger readers. These aspects include captions, blurbs, and the French language to go through their journey, which helps explain the lifestyle in Paris. This is a cute and informative book for the young readers. It is also informational book because it talks about the main places to visit when going to Paris. Some children may be able to relate to this book, since they could have taken a trip to Paris with their families. Overall, this book is about a girl and her grandfather taking an adventure with plenty of places to see, and in the end it is quite memorable! ( )
  kflach1 | Nov 21, 2014 |

Salvatore Rubbino takes young readers on another delightful sightseeing walk, this time through the glittering streets of the City of Light.

Vive la France! Join a girl and her grandfather on a walking tour through Paris. Follow them as they climb to the top of Notre Dame formidable! sample tasty treats at bistros and pâtisseries délicieux! -- and take in a stunning view of the Eiffel Tower magnifique! Young Francophiles and armchair travelers will be charmed by Salvatore Rubbino’s lively, sophisticated illustrations and fascinating trivia about this beloved city.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

A child's-eye walking tour of Paris.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,919,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible