I Lived on Butterfly Hill by Marjorie…

I Lived on Butterfly Hill

by Marjorie Agosín

Set in 1970, Immigration from Chile, democracy
  NEYM_RE_Library | Jul 15, 2017 |
Celeste shares a richly sensorial world in Valpariso where she has rich multi-generational relationships with family, neighbors, friends and teachers. She is already a write at 11 and sits on her roof recording the events of her world. There is an abrupt change to her circumstances when a dictator assumes control, repressing all arts and culture and forcing her parents into hiding and Celeste into a few year exile in Maine. This is a wonderful realistic fiction of a talented young girl coming of age with influences from her experiences in two cultures. This work has detailed descriptions and credible dialogue that makes it a very engaging read. Particularly suitable for ages 11 and up. ( )
  GayWard | Mar 6, 2017 |
I found out about this book from my daughter who is in Bolivia on foreign exchange and heading to Chile to soon. I'm doubtful she got in school there but I think she was looking for books about Chile and she recommended it to me. I thought this was a well-written historical fiction that was seemingly very close to actual experiences that Lee White had. In many ways that is the kind of historical fiction I like best, not too fictiony yet poignant. The book is a little long (although it never seems to drag) and the fact that the author lived through it makes the details very realistic. I also enjoy the originality of the story, this is the first book I've read about Pinochet and Chile for children and I think it's great to have a unique topic ata time when a lot of the books seem the same and it's also an important world history event that kids should know about.

Curricular connection - I think you could use this in the classroom if you were teaching about exile, politics of other countries, coups, immigration ( )
  ECrowwwley | Apr 12, 2016 |
This is a beautifully written book that artfully describes the struggles a young girl faces when her family immigrates to the US to flee Chile's political unrest. I love how, although the story is written from a young girl's perspective, it still includes the mature themes of immigration, political unrest, and change.

HISTORICAL FICTION: Everything that happens in the book is completely plausible, but it is not about a real person. The novel stays true to the historical time period the story is set in.
MULTICULTURAL: The main character is a young girl who has grown up in Chile, but moves with her family to the US to flee Chile's social turmoil.
  cmcmahon14 | Mar 29, 2016 |
This was a beautiful "fish-out-of-water" story. It lost a star for the ending though. The switch to magical realism at the end felt very abrupt and didn't fit the rest of the straight-forward narrative. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |

Eleven-year-old Celeste Marconi is a dreamer, a writer, a collector of words. But then a new whispered word trickles into her life: "Subversives." Her beloved country of Chile has been taken over by a military dictatorship, and subversives--people considered a threat to the new government--are in increasing danger. Celeste's doctor-parents must go into hiding to remain safe, and Celeste, heartsick, must say good-bye to them. But the situation continues to worsen. More and more people are "disappearing," and soon Celeste herself is sent thousands of miles away, all the way to the coast of Maine--where she doesn't have a single friend or know a word of English. How can she possibly call another country--a country where people eat breakfast out of a box, where people eat breakfast out of a box, where the cold grays of winter mirror the fears that envelope her--home? WIll she ever see Chile again? And is she does--what, and who, will she find there?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,457,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible