Wanderers: Ragnarök by Richard A.…

Wanderers: Ragnarök

by Richard A. Bamberg

I received this Audible audiobook as an incentive for an honest review via LibraryThing.

The narrator is definitely one that takes a bit of getting used to initially due to his gruff voice; it took a while for me to distinguish the fluctuations in his cadence, but by chapter 3 I was able to focus on the story-line more completely.

I enjoyed the mythology within the story; I have studied mythology a little and had never heard of Wanderers, so this was something new to me and it definitely incited my interest in the story. Moreover, Rafe's history has me 100% curious and leaves me wanting more!! Bamberg does a great job weaving a little bit of Rafe's backstory in with the current events throughout the book...just enough...LOL!

I honestly look forward to reading/listening to the other books in the series to hear different aspects of the mythological creatures and events Bamberg writes about! It's definitely one of my more favorite topics to read about!

#punkrocklibrarian #LibraryThing ( )
  KWadyko | Oct 17, 2017 |
This is the story of Rafael Simms, who is a type of magic user called a Wanderer and who is destined to answer to one of the Greek Fates. His job is to go where he feels fate is telling him to go and to ensure whatever is threating the human race is taken care of before it gets out of hand. In this story Rafael feels to call to go to Huntsville, Alabama where he meets gets a job at a book store with a wiccan coven leader Abigail and works with Abigail’s apprentice Cynthia while hiding his true nature and his ultimate goal. At the bookstore he discovers an object that he feels he is destined to destroy, but which Abigail has protected behind serious wards. Shortly after arriving, there begins to be a series of demon summonings and associated murders that Rafael tries to prevent with the help of Cynthia and Cynthia’s cousin Kris who has the ability to read Rafael’s soul and knows his true self. A federal agent who shows up to the scene of the first murder, believes, but cannot prove, that Rafael is connected to other similar murders that have occurred in other parts of the country.

Rafael learns that the demon summonings and murders are an attempt to build up power by unknown individuals to allow stealing the warded object from the bookstore, which has a key spell that will begin the process of opening doors to other worlds and allowing Ragnarok to occur, which is tied to the destruction of mankind. Rafael learns that once the object is used and the process is stated, it is prophesized to continue to completion. Therefore it is extremely important that Rafael stop the mysterious individuals and destroy the object.

At one point, Abigail and Cynthia learn Rafael’s true purpose and Abigail tries to imprison Rafael in circle of earth magic. Abigail has had a bad experience in the past with another Wanderer in the past and believed all Wanderers to be bad. Rafael manages to break free of the prison and ultimately all the characters come together in the final battle prevent the mysterious individuals from getting the object they need to start the process of Ragnorak.

The reader did a good job with the various voices for the characters, but it often took a sentence or two for new chapters for the reader to settle into the correct tone and rhythm used for the reading.

I found the number of woman who wanted to have sex with Rafael in the book to be a bit ridiculous even using the pretense that wiccan earth magic encourages increased sexual energies.

This audiobook was over 9 hours long and I was sorry that it ended. This was the first book in a series and closure promised interesting things and challenges for Rafael to come in future books. I would recommend this book as a good listen. ( )
  greymith | Aug 25, 2017 |
Wanderers : Ragnarök by Richard A. Bamberg and narrated by Johnny Mack is an audible book I requested and the review is voluntary. I loved this story so much! Rafe had died but Fate needed him to fight those things unseen. He was trained by another that was chosen. His Harley is really a shifter, the real shape is a mythic beast. His name is Beast. He talks too. It is too funny at times. They end up in town and in the middle of something big! Right off the bat he lands in a mess, it is too fun! Lots of action, a mystery, adventure, fantasy, fighting, creatures, and more! The narrator is perfect too! Adds a lot especially to Beast! I don't like the cover because Rafe is suppose to look 20 or 21 and the cover has a middle aged guy with a receding hairline. This is not Rafe! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Aug 4, 2017 |
Not my usual pick but since it was an Audible early review pick on LibraryThing I thought I'd give it a go.
Pleasantly surprised I quite enjoyed this! Raphael is a very likeable character and even tho the story was about a war of worlds type base it had romance/bordering on erotica, action, magic and just the right amount of darkness. The audio was great and the narrative was super easy listening.
I will definitely look to read on in this series as it states book 1 I'm hoping there is more to it!
I received this book as an Audible version for my honest review through LibraryThing giveaway. ( )
  Kimmyd76 | Jul 30, 2017 |
Are you a fan of supernatural stories? If so, this is the book for you! Plenty of battles with demons and witches/mages. Mythical creatures and even an attempt to bring about the end of mankind. Who could ask for more? The characters were engaging, and the story will draw you in. Pick up a copy, and have fun. Wonder when the next one will be out? ( )
  bearlyr | Feb 24, 2016 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Richard A. Bamberg's book Wanderers: Ragnarök (Volume 1) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Richard Bamberg is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,608,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible