Her Perfect Mate by Paige Tyler

by Paige Tyler

Series: X-Ops (1)

719168,809 (3.68)1

~ 2.5 Her Perfect Mate Stars ~

Her Perfect Mate is book one in the X-Ops series by Paige Tyler. This is my first experience with this author.

I enjoyed reading Her Perfect Mate, it was interesting, the shifters are a little different then what I'm use to reading, but I was not overly impressed. So much ended up bothering me in this book. I felt like I might not finish it, but I kept going wanting to see what everyone else saw.

To start: I had a hard time liking the Department of Covert Affairs. It came off as corrupt, prejudiced, and deceitful. Even the people working in the organization, both shifters and humans, with the exception of a slit few, where prejudiced or distrustful of each other. The characters I’m not even sure about. Our heroine, Ivy, who is supposed to be a top agent came access week, insecure, and whinny at times. I could not understand or connect to her. She also can’t control herself. (Really?) Any good shifter has control especially if they are a top agent. I wanted a kick ass agent and she was not that. As for our hero, Landon, he is described as god-like, sexy, and can do no wrong. He has too much going for him. Gorgeous, loyal, polite, good in bed, tough, etc. Where is his flaw?…Everyone has at least one flaw. I never once felt like Landon and Ivy where partners as agents or in their personal life. Our hero made all the decisions and our heroine needed him to keep her self worth and job. Also where was the world building? I felt in the dark most of the time and was trying to peace things together about the shifters, agency, characters, etc. We have no indication that shifters are super secret, yes it's mentioned, but Ivy’s sister is living a normal life and others have normal jobs, but its noted that no one knows about them. I needed more…

Her Perfect Mate was an ok read. I plan to try out book two in the X-Ops series to see if it gets better. If the blurb interests you, I urge you to give it a shot. Just because it did not work for me does not mean it won’t for you.

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
Her Perfect Mate combined elements of military romance with the paranormal. The male lead was a special forces soldier recruited to join and agency populated with "shifters" that have natural combined human and animal DNA which gives them special abilities that most normal humans don't have. The two main characters team up to find and eliminate a scientist who is trying to create his own version of "shifters." The story was very interesting with the characters trying to not only deal with their love for each other, but also accepting their differences. I'm anxious to read the next book in this series. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jun 28, 2017 |
It was good, but I still think there's something missing to make this a really good story. ( )
  msralways | Apr 20, 2017 |
Ms Tyler has a new hit series on her hands with this perfect mix of Military men and a group of shifters who work for the Department of Covert Affairs. Right from the start you are pulled into the story about Special Forces soldier Landon Donovan who is pulled off a mission and reassigned to work with the DCO. He’s not happy about it at first but his ethics make him keep an open mind and he really needs it when he not only finds out his partner is a woman but also feline shifter. Ivy Halliwell has not had much luck with her partners in the past and figures her latest is going to be as judgmental of her as the rest were but Landon surprises her by accepting who she is pretty quick but not without lots of teasing which were some of the funniest moments in the book.

We are given enough of a back story and history of both Landon and his team and Ivy and the shifters to understand what’s going on without all the issues that sometime comes with a first book that tends to bes bogged down with world building and the introduction of a large cast of characters. At no point did I feel overwhelmed from information overload.

The story arc that looks to probably run throughout the series was very intriguing and had just enough suspense that kept you turning the pages along with the smoking chemistry that was between Landon and Ivy. Another nice change was there was no ego’s involved between the main characters – he accepted that she was his equal and better in areas than he was due to her abilities. For those wondering about the paranormal aspect, the shifters dont fully shift into an animal - they just have the characterics and strenghth that come from that animal. This was a great start to what looks to be a fabulous series.
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
The hero is a special op badass who is pissed when he's taken off active duty and sent to DC on a secret new assignment. There he meets his new partner. She's a petite waif of a girl and when he's told to fight her, he has trouble bring himself to do it. But what I liked about the hero was that from the second he meets her, he never once thinks of her as less of a soldier. He also is aware enough to know that she's not entirely human but it doesn't bother him. In fact he welcomes her extrasensory gifts on the missions and trusts her judgment and expertise. The heroine is reluctant to trust another part after the first one attempted to rape her and the 2nd was an asshole who refused to give her any credit. But from the moment she meets her new partner, she knows he's something different. First off, she's never been attracted to any of her other partners and secondly she's never had someone whom she worked so well with. I liked this story but I felt it was missing that extra something. One major note that was missed was the fact that when the hero is first briefed for his assignment he's told that if a situation should arise where his partner was compromised, he was given orders to kill her. But other than that it was never mentioned again and I felt it could have been elaborated on. Also, there wasn't much of a plot line until more than halfway through the book. Most of the time is spent with the hero and heroine doing training missions and trying not to give into their desires. So there wasn't any build up for the fight with the bad guys. The chemistry between the characters was awesome, the action was decent and I loved both the male and female leads but it wasn't a spectacular book. I will read the others in the series though. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |

When Special Forces Captain Landon Donovan is pulled from an op in Afghanistan, he is surprised to discover he's been hand-picked for a special assignment with the Department of Covert Operations (DCO), a secret division he's never heard of. Terrorists are kidnapping biologists and he and his partner have to stop them. But his new partner is a beautiful, sexy woman who looks like she couldn't hurt a fly--never mind take down a terrorist. She's Not Your Average Covert Operative Ivy Halliwell is no kitten. She's a feline shifter, and more dangerous than she looks. She's worked with a string of hotheaded military guys who've underestimated her special skills in the past. But when she's partnered with special agent Donovan, a man sexy enough to make any girl purr, things begin to heat up ...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,199,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible