The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon

The Mime Order

by Samantha Shannon

Aarghh, I can't believe I have to wait an entire year for the next book! Especially since The Mime Order ended with the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers. It's going to be a long year! ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
Pushing this off for now. But it WILL be read soon.
  JulieCovington | May 29, 2016 |
I am constantly amazed at how mature Samantha Shannon is for such a young writer. The Bone Season blew my mind last year, and The Mime Order kept up with the suspense and sheer complexity of this story.

The world is beautifully, meticulously crafted, and while the first book mostly concentrated on Sheol, this time the plot is solely focused on London and its infamous Syndicate. Paige, liberated from the penal colony by her mime-lord, Jaxon, has to get back to her duties as his mollisher while Scion officials make her the most hunted fugitive in London.

At the same time she can not understand Jaxon wilful blindness and inability to do anything to warn the Unnatural Assembly of Rephaite threat. Determined to do it on her own, Pale Dreamer or Miss Mahoney opens such a can of worms and reveals so much treachery and betrayal that all her old beliefs in "the system" provided by The Syndicate are burned away, and from it she emerges like a moth transforming into a butterfly - beautiful, fearless and formidable.

This book is intense, peeps. There is a lot happening, there are bloody battles, assassination attempts and near misses. It's gripping and keeps you on the edge of your seat. At the same time it's perfectly balanced by the intricate world-building. While Paige's world expands and expands, so as ours. While she suffers and worries about her various friends and the injustice which she tries to prevent, so do we. She has a wonderful network of friends and supporters. There is Nick of course, Danika, Eliza and many others. There are delightful interactions with Warden and very dark, bittersweet ones with Jaxon. There is even a pretty epic melee at the end!

While it took me almost a week to read The Mime Order (it is a long book), I wasn't bored even for a moment, and the ending only piqued my curiosity even more. Recommended for the fans of Susan Ee and Celis T. Rono. This was a brilliant read. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Preordered this. And started it the day it landed on my Kindle.
Great action and fight scenes. Complicated, but not as complicated as The Bone Season, if you read that one.
Very good use of language, words I had to look-up, rich and requires a high level knowledge of english, with a strong basis in British English, as opposed to the current flood of cheap, low-level-english from some self-published YA-targeting-writers, very sophisticated. But requires also more work during reading, so this no light, fast read. And therefore better, imho, although I usually read 3-4 fast-read-low-level-YA books, this took me longer.
Also as the next book is not in sight, I did not want this one to end.

This is a book about a revolution, an insurrection, but only the planning and the first steps, it is unclear, how it will play out over the next books.
Should not be read as a standalone. More hints of romance, with a twist.
And in the end a really stunning cliffhanger.
Most highly recommended, solid 5star.

In my review for the first book, I said this is supposed to be a Trilogy, I learned since that is wrong, this is planned as 7 books. If this points to another popular series, you know what I mean, but I will not mention it. It is totally different, but I hope it will be as interesting.

Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
I'm still into this story and enjoyed it more than book one.

I really like the world that Samantha Shannon has created, there are so many plot twists and turns...the ending of this one sure got my heart racing and I cannot wait to read the next installment... ( )
  ardvisoor | Apr 27, 2015 |
Mimes, in the form of God on high,

Mutter and mumble low,

And hither and thither fly-

Mere puppets they, who come and go

At bidding of vast formless things

Edgar Allan Poe
For the fighters-

and the writers
It's a rare story that begins at the beginning.

Paige Mahoney has escaped the brutal penal colony of Sheol I, but her problems have only just begun: many of the fugitives are still missing and she is the most wanted person in London. As Scion turns its all-seeing eye on Paige, the mime-lords and mime-queens of the city's gangs meet, Jaxon Hall and his Seven Seals prepare to take center stage, and bitter fault lines run through the clairvoyant community.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible