The Madness of July by James Naughtie

The Madness of July (2014)

by James Naughtie

I ploughed through this - very slow, thick like treacle and pretty unbelievable. The wonderful brothers on their fabulous estate somewhere in Scotland was really stretching it. I'm still not sure how I managed to get to the end of this turgid tale !!! ( )
  JW1949 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I had such high expectations for this book that I suppose I was just asking to be disappointed. Every morning I wake up to Radio 4's 'Today' programme on which James Naughtie is one of the regular presenters and I particularly enjoy his monthly Book Club show. In fact I really wanted to like this book, and I did try, but it just couldn't be done.

The book is a cold war spy story, and I it is clear that Naughtie knows his turf, but it was written in a deliberately disjointed manner, which merely served to irritate the reader and came as a great surprise from someone whose career has revolved around journalism and explication. At no point do any of the characters participate in anything even vaguely resembling a real conversation, and the writer seems to revel in unnecessary obliquity. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Mar 14, 2014 |

It's a sweltering July in the mid-1970s. A mysterious death has exposed secret passions in government, bringing on a political crisis that will draw William Flemyng, foreign office minister, back into a familiar world of danger and deceit. For Flemyng has a past. He was trained as a spy for a life behind enemy lines and now he's compelled to go back. In the course of one long weekend he must question all his loyalties: to his friends, enemies, and to his own two brothers. Only then can he expose the truth in London and Washington.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,758,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible