The Travelling Tea Shop by Belinda Jones

The Travelling Tea Shop

by Belinda Jones

Really weak chick-lit book. I loved the idea of a traveling tea shop. The quirky US cover (with tea, pies/cupcakes, etc.) all seemed like a neat story. I have never read anything by this particular author, but of course I wanted to try a new book by an author I've never read before.

Honestly, I thought this was terrible. I was shocked to find the author was actually from the UK. Something about the writing was off and made me think that maybe this author had perhaps visited the UK, maybe studied abroad there or something, but wasn't actually wasn't. I had a hard time believing Laurie as a character. She's initially judgmental, has issues about commitment (or something) but is leaping to take this opportunity.

Then it went steadily downhill from here. There's her boss, a TV host, the host's surly daughter and the host's mom. Normally I'd be all for a multi-generational story, but this bored me. Of course daughter Ravenna was going to be obnoxious and spoiled. Of course grandma Gracie's a cool old lady, etc.

I needed a much lighter book after reading a book about homegrown terrorists in the US, but this was definitely not something that I found remotely entertaining or engaging. It's a pity because I loved the concept, but this was really poorly executed.

I picked this up on a whim after seeing it was in paperback on the display table at Barnes & Noble. Wish I had done a bit more research before buying it. Recommend library if you're really interested. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
I was looking forward to reading this book as I've never read anything by Belinda Jones before. Having read several thrillers on the trot, I wanted something lighter and fun and this hit the spot. I was also pleasantly surprised as the content was less chick litty and frothy than the cover might suggest.

The story revolves round the trip that Laurie has devised for well known UK based baker Pamela Lambert-Leigh. The idea is that she will be publishing a book based on traditional cakes and ingredients found in the New York and New England states. So far so good until Laurie discovers that Pamela will be accompanied by her feisty mother and stroppy teenage daughter. Furthermore the trip will be made on a London bus, with Pamela's mother doing the driving.

Needless to say, it was not looking like a recipe for success and things were never going to be plain sailing. Throw in several males to introduce a little romance and what followed was an enjoyable read. I particularly liked the historical and cake related facts that for me, made the book more interesting and gave it a little bit more substance than I'd expected. It was a little bit like the Great British Bake Off meets Wish You Were Here and there is nothing wrong with that.

In short if you like cakes and travel, mixed with the a little romance then this book is ideal for you. It is a good holiday, feel good read that is suitable for all ages.

I received copy of this book via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Jilldoyle | Mar 27, 2016 |
Charming

This book is such a feel-good book. It still makes me smile every time I think of it. It's so charming, the characters are great, the setting is amazing, and don't get me started on all the cakes and cupcakes....

There's a great romance story in there, just so sweet and right. There's a story line about family dynamics and how screwed up and hurtful they can be. There's lots of travel and discriptions of scenery and locations that make you want to pack your bag and go.

And all these elements are masterfully interwoven into one charming, beautiful package. Fabulous book! ( )

katsmiao | Oct 23, 2015 |

"Laurie Davis has always followed her passion. After escaping family drama to start a new life in New York City, she's up for whatever challenges life brings. So when an opportunity arises for her to use her travel-industry expertise and serve as an assistant and tour guide for her idol, Pamela Lambert-Leigh, star of television's Teatime with Pamela, she jumps at the chance. But Laurie's exciting adventure ends up entailing a lot more than scouting locations for researching the cake queen's new cookbook when Pamela's sassy mother and sulky, rebellious daughter tag along for the trip"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,308,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible