1177 B.C. : The Year Civilization Collapsed…

1177 B.C. : The Year Civilization Collapsed (2014)

by Eric H. Cline

Series: Turning Points In Ancient History

5032020,248 (3.54)18

English (17)  Spanish (3)  All (20)
Overproduction, vast inequalities, endemic war, exhaustion of resources, climate shifts - what I learned was that the first "global civilization" sounds much like the last. No single cause brings down complex human systems, but when these factors conjoin, at some point, they fall. The process unfolds over decades, and frenzied activity - construction, diplomacy, trade, commerce - continues right up to the last, so that it is only clear in retrospect that some order which may have lasted for centuries is gone for good.

I would have liked to hear more speculation about what happens to common people in these situations - their lives are not recorded, so it's difficult. But when city after city was burned to the ground, what became of the people in them? I suppose we could look at contemporary examples like Syria to get some sense.

Humans make pretty things, but our history isn't pretty. It's beyond disturbing - it seems a complete concession to entropy and waste, for our species and for our planetary ecosystem. Now more than ever, works like this make me wonder if what we call civilization is the best we'll ever do. ( )
  CSRodgers | Dec 9, 2017 |
A fascinating glimpse at one of the most important periods of ancient civilizations! Not only have I found this book to be very engaging, but I also liked its refreshing and different approach to complex topics in history and archeology. Being a layperson in Late Bronze Age, I have particularly liked authors exposition of famous, as well as not so famous characters from more than 3000 years ago. I felt the pharaohs, Hittite kings, ancient rulers of Cypriot, merchants, and ambassadors come alive and talk to me through those pages.

Thanks to the this masterfully written book, I now have a much better understanding of this critical period in history, but this is only one of the reasons I liked and can easily recommend this book to others. It also introduced me to a framework that will help me to discover this period in more detail, and also analyze the current affairs taking place in the "same" geographical regions, making comparisons and drawing conclusions.

As a side note, my perception of the city of Troy changed and enhanced drastically, together with the historical context, especially in Anatolia. And that is only one of the points among many that will direct my curiosity.

The final parts of the book established the links among history, geography, archeology and complexity theory, and this is another plus for me because it goes beyond stating interesting bits and pieces; it tries to synthesize a better approach, a better understanding of what might have happened, and how such an interconnected, "globalized" set of civilizations might have collapsed 3000 years ago. ( )
  EmreSevinc | Dec 30, 2016 |
Quite repetitive and a bit dry. I was hoping for a stronger narrative. I did find the underlying mystery of the Sea People intriguing, though.

Awarding one bonus star because I thought the author's obvious enthusiasm for his subject was rather endearing. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Outstanding ( )
  clarkland | Aug 24, 2016 |
The Late Bronze Age in the Mediterranean was an interesting period of history. According to the author, the Egyptians, Hittites, Mitanni and Kassite Babylonians had developed a flourishing trade network which suddenly collapsed at the beginning of the 12th Century B.C spawning a dark age lasting several hundred years. Professor Cline attempts to pick up the archaeological and historical pieces in the attempt to figure out why these empires suddenly collapsed around the same time. The problem is the evidence is sparse amid the numerous theories to make sense of the cause or causes of these calamities: Sea People invasions, trade collapse, climate change, earthquakes, and drought. Only during the last chapter does he makes case that these interdependent empires experienced a perfect storm of calamities that brought about a total system collapse, ( )
  zenitsky | Feb 14, 2016 |
This book by Eric Cline is the first in the series Turning Points in Ancient History edited by Barry Strauss. In the words of Strauss, this series “looks at a crucial event or key moment in the ancient world”, and the series seems targeted—judging from this first book—at a broad audience of both students and experts in the field. Cline’s book takes as its crucial event the battle between Ramses III of Egypt and the so-called Sea Peoples in 1177 B.C., a point in history that marked the end of the Late Bronze Age in the Eastern Mediterranean. Cline is careful not to suggest that this battle alone was responsible for the wave of destructions dated to the beginning of the twelfth-century; rather, he treats this battle as a point of departure for addressing a variety of calamities—both natural and anthropogenic—that affected much of the Eastern Mediterranean and brought an end to the Late Bronze Age.

Eric H. Clineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Belza, CeciliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strauss, BarryForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A compelling combination of narrative and the latest scholarship, 1177 B.C. sheds new light on the complex ties that gave rise to, and ultimately destroyed, the flourishing civilizations of the Late Bronze Age--and that set the stage for the emergence of classical Greece.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:08 -0400)

"In 1177 B.C., marauding groups known only as the "Sea Peoples" invaded Egypt. The pharaoh's army and navy managed to defeat them, but the victory so weakened Egypt that it soon slid into decline, as did most of the surrounding civilizations. After centuries of brilliance, the civilized world of the Bronze Age came to an abrupt and cataclysmic end. Kingdoms fell like dominoes over the course of just a few decades. No more Minoans or Mycenaeans. No more Trojans, Hittites, or Babylonians. The thriving economy and cultures of the late second millennium B.C., which had stretched from Greece to Egypt and Mesopotamia, suddenly ceased to exist, along with writing systems, technology, and monumental architecture. But the Sea Peoples alone could not have caused such widespread breakdown. How did it happen? In this major new account of the causes of this "First Dark Ages," Eric Cline tells the gripping story of how the end was brought about by multiple interconnected failures, ranging from invasion and revolt to earthquakes, drought, and the cutting of international trade routes. Bringing to life the vibrant multicultural world of these great civilizations, he draws a sweeping panorama of the empires and globalized peoples of the Late Bronze Age and shows that it was their very interdependence that hastened their dramatic collapse and ushered in a dark age that lasted centuries. A compelling combination of narrative and the latest scholarship, 1177 B.C. sheds new light on the complex ties that gave rise to, and ultimately destroyed, the flourishing civilizations of the Late Bronze Age--and that set the stage for the emergence of classical Greece"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,548,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible