Meatless All Day: Recipes for Inspired…

Meatless All Day: Recipes for Inspired Vegetarian Meals

by Dina Cheney

“Vegetarian, Delicious & Substantial...” I quote from the beginning of this beautifully illustrated inspirational cookbook. I have already marked more than one recipe to try! Which ones? The Baklava Sticky Buns with Pistachios and Dates, Tabbouleh with Dates and Pomegranate Vinaigrette, PB&J French Toast and ALT Sandwiches with Frico and that is just to name a few.

Looking through the recipes I found that most of the ingredients are readily available here even in my small village in the north of Lebanon and was not surprised to read that the author has roots in the Middle East since many of the recipes use ingredients from this area of the world. I loved the fact that each recipe has suggestions at the end stating what the author believes would create a balanced tasty menu.

45 ingredients are listed at the beginning of the book that the author states will impart meaty flavor and/or texture to recipes and 85 total recipes for entrees in this book.

I have been looking for recipes that are different, fun and worthy of offering to a group of my friends that meets weekly for lunch and I believe that next time it is my turn to serve lunch I will choose the menu from this book.

Thank you to NetGalley and Taunton Press for the copy of this book to read and review. ( )
  CathyGeha | Jul 16, 2015 |
I tried a couple of recipes in this book: Mexican Pinto Bean Burgers with Fresh Guacomole and Corn Picoult de Galo and Roasted Beet Salad with Toasted Walnuts and Chickpea Avocado Vinaigrette. They were both excellent. The other recipes sound very good as well. I like the style of the cook book. The recipes are easy to follow. I could get most of the ingredients. I don't think you have to be a rock star to make them, but you will probably need some cooking skills. I recommend this book to vegetarians. ( )
  bwhitner | Feb 22, 2015 |
MEATLESS ALL DAY: Recipes for Inspired Vegetarian Meals, a beautifully packaged cookbook full of delicious recipes (some I have tried - yummy), with helpful cooking tips for the vegan- minded. I have been a faithful vegan for years and enjoyed the benefits of shopping and cooking vegetarian, and feeling healthy from this lifestyle.

I am always in search for new recipes and inventive ways to cook vegetarian, as love being meatless. The photos were very well done, as well as the great tips and substitutions, as needed.
The chapters were organized with tips on cooking vegetables (this was very helpful as you lose a lot of nutrients based on the way you cook), as well as a list of ingredients giving you the meaty flavor for substitution (for those trying to break away from meats).

Loved the delectable recipes for breakfast and brunch, as well as lunch, light entrees, and dinner, offering many alternatives to expand my dishes in the veggie circle. Looking forward to trying more of them this week.

Highly recommend for current vegans and vegetarians, and those wanting to cross over and try going meatless! http://judithdcollins.booklikes.com/post/862974/-meatlessallday

A special thanks to Taunton Press and NetGalley for a complimentary copy in exchange for an unbiased and honest review.
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Will those of you who will soon be observing Lent please raise your hand? I knew some of you were out there! While I don't observe Lent, I do cook for someone who does and often struggle with coming up with meals to serve that don't contain meat and aren't fried fish. I have a handful of dishes that I serve, mainly vegetarian meals, but I really need to expand my repertoire when it comes to these sorts of things. You probably didn't know this, but I spent nearly 10 years of my life being a vegetarian, not a strict one mind you, I always gave in to temptation during the holidays, when I was traveling, or when it was taco bar Friday at school. Don't worry, I know that I'm a miserable example of a vegetarian, but I became a vegetarian out of necessity, this may shock you, but I don't really like meat.

Ok, now that I've dropped that bomb...

It isn't often that I come across a cookbook that causes me to drool, but this one sure did. Not only are the photos incredibly enticing, but I also wanted to make 95% of the recipes out of it and that almost never happens. I will say that not all of the recipes in this cookbook will appeal to non-vegetarians, the Beet Wellington with Pinot Noir Sauce managed to raise even my eyebrows, but the creativity in this book will ensure that you don't miss having meat in your meals.

If you are unfamiliar with vegetarian cooking then you may be turned off my the sheer number of ingredients in some of these recipes. Don't be, if you take a closer look, many of those ingredients are common herbs and spices which contribute a good portion of the flavors found in vegetarian cooking. Generally the extra ingredients don't increase prep time by much and many of them can be found in any well stocked pantry. Speaking of prep time, one thing that was noticeably absent from the galley copy I received was a clear listing of prep time and cooking time. I prefer to see them listed in an easy to find location along with the number of servings a recipe yields. I contacted the publisher Taunton Press to see if this made it into the final print copy, but did not hear back from them by the time this posted. If they do respond, or if I can find a print copy of this in town I'll update this post and let you know.

Other than the recipes there were a number of small details in this book that really stood out to me. Many of the recipes have substitution ideas which are incredibly helpful in adding a little variety to the recipes keeping them new and exciting. Also notable were the serving suggestions to help round out the meal as well as preparation tips. Did you know that fresh ginger can be peeled easily using a serving spoon? I didn't until I read this book, see even food bloggers can learn something new.

Another thing I really enjoyed was the fact that this book doesn't assume you're going to make everything from scratch every time. Some of the recipes contain suggestions of where you may want to use a store bought item such as flat bread or pie crust as a time saver. I don't feel there is anything wrong with those suggestions, but I know a number of people who would disagree with me. I can say from experience that I hate rolling out pie crust for a quiche at 5am and often use store bought crusts for this. I'm most definitely not a morning person, but I think I've pretty well established that.

So far I've managed to try out three of the recipes from this book all of which have received two thumbs up from my family. ( )
  NotStarvingYet | Mar 28, 2014 |

"Meatless All Day is a cookbook for anyone who loves good food that's good for them and wants to cook in accordance with vegetarian values. Vegetarians and carnivores alike will find new ways to prepare ingredients that they already know are necessary in a balanced diet. But more important, this cookbook will serve as inspiration for preparing different ingredients that approximate the savory, smoky, hearty qualities of meat and seafood. For vegetarians, vegans, and carnivores who are reducing their meat intake, the recipes in Meatless All Day will leave home cooks (and their family and friends) feeling satisfied. The book opens with 45 "power ingredients" that make vegetarian food satisfying, delicious, and healthful. Following are 80 recipes with headnotes that explain how the "power ingredients" lend dishes a meaty or fishy flavor, demarcate vegan recipes, offer tips for making many of the nonvegan recipes vegan, or provide ideas for rounding out entrees with side dishes and desserts"-- "This cookbook is for anyone who loves good food that's good for them and wants to cook in accordance with vegetarian values. Vegetarians and carnivores alike will find new ways to prepare ingredients that they already know are necessary in a balanced diet"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,748,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible