Broadchurch: A Novel by Erin Kelly

Broadchurch: A Novel (2014)

by Erin Kelly, Chris Chibnall

Saw the TV-Series first, so I knew the how-dunnit and it was still a good book, even without the suspense.
As with the UK-TV-Series, binge-watched from Blu-ray in 2 days, the focus is on all the victims this crime has, and not so much on the killer. Still, I did not guess who the killer was in the TV-series.
Compared to the show, the book is less subtle, you get more insight in the actions and more background, to name just one, which was for me muddled and unclear in the show: Lucy. Maybe I was not watching with the same concentration with which I read a book and I missed some details, to name it here, would be to spoil both the book and more so the show, for those who have not read the book nor seen the show.
As a standalone, without the TV-show it is a good book, maybe for some not worth 5 stars, but as an addition to the TV-show it is great.
Highly recommended for fans of UK scenery (Dorset), UK-TV-shows and to anyone who has watched or will watch Broadchurch or the US-remake Gracepoint (although they are supposed to change some of the story, I watched the first 2 episodes and they where nearly identical to Broadchurch, which makes me question the point of a remake, they even put David Tennant in the same character in the US-version). ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
Broadchurch by Erin Kelly; 4 1/2*)

This suspenseful mystery takes place on a small coastal island in England. It is the story of a little boy found murdered on the beach at the base of a cliff and the following investigation. The community is abound with suspects and no one trusts anyone. The main characters are the Detective Inspector and the Detective Sergeant on the case.
The book is a real page-turner. I think the author did a very fine job of this one. Very fine indeed.
I was unable to put the book down. It kept me guessing throughout. I highly recommend this book to those who enjoy suspense and mystery novels. ( )
  rainpebble | Apr 11, 2015 |
This book is an “adaptation of the hit television show Broadchurch” which I started watching on a friends Netflix account, got hooked (hint: it has David Tennant in it) and then couldn’t watch it for a while. I asked my nephew to find it for me and he did, but due to server issues I wasn’t able to watch it. I requested it from the library which is when I noticed there was a book Broadchurch.

The book follows the story line of the TV series almost exactly. The author fleshes out the characters, lets you know their thoughts and feelings, in a sense, expands on the story. In another review, someone stated this was not her story, I would say her handling of it made it her story. She does an admirable job of keeping the reader engaged.

Who killed Danny Latimer? Alec Hardy, an experienced investigator new to the area suspects everyone. Ellie Miller, who has lived in Broadchurch her whole life can’t believe anyone there could have harmed Danny. The fact that Hardy was given a promotion promised to Miller plus knowing his last case blew up spectacularly, puts the two at odds.

Woven around the mystery is the revealing of peoples secrets, the intrusion of the press and how grief affects people. Hardy and Miller have to keep the peace while trying to solve a crime that seems to putting everyone against their friends. Innocent people are hurt while the guilty one is apparently going free. When the guilty party is finally identified, that puts more shockwaves and rifts through the community.

A very interesting read. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 12, 2015 |
Another group I was in was mentioning the television show Gracepoint, I am not a big television watcher with the exception of a few shows and sports. Anyway we decided to watch Gracepoint, at that point I was half way done with this book, and to mu surprise the case on the show was the exact same as the story in the book. Wonder if they will exactly follow the book?

This is set in rural Dorset, and the people in the town are a varied mix. Many are hiding secrets and I loved the mix of reporters and journalists. Who will find out what first. A ten year old boy is the victim and the author does a brilliant job showing the family as they try to stay together while dealing with their pain and grief.

She also did a wonderful job showing the best and worst of a small village. Everyone knows each other, but do they really? Who is actually telling the truth and who has the most to hide.

I loved this well done classic mystery, following the uncovering of evidence and the mix of personal and professional lives. Certainly hope Kelly goes on to write another. ( )
  Beamis12 | Oct 5, 2014 |
I decided to read the novelization of the series Broadchurch because I haven’t seen the TV version and had heard good things. In some ways it was a very good book and story, and in other ways it didn’t quite take off for me.

I’m pretty picky about books about murdered children: I often give them a pass. Broadchurch involves the death of eleven year old Danny, who lives next door to Detective Ellie Miller, who expects to lead the investigation until returning from vacation to find out that the promotion she anticipated was given to an outsider, Detective Alec Hardy, who was responsible for botching a child murder trial some time before. Miller and Hardy are both interesting and troubled characters to varying degrees, and their stories are interesting because they are dealing with such a harrowing case.

But my main concern about the book was that absolutely every character had a very sad or troubled backstory, and it was a bit overwhelming an approach to the town and its residents. I think it may be a difference between the book and the filmed version: the novelization is a lot more in the characters’ heads than the show was, I presume.

Finally, because the book took place in such a small resort town, it was sort of easy to figure out who did it by process of elimination. The conclusion was a bit of a letdown, and it made me remember this interesting post about the original version of The Killing: the discussion about different investigative approaches was very illuminating.

Overall, this was an interesting read, but I’m not in a rush to watch the show now.

Other reviews appear in Cleopatra Loves Books and Crime Fiction Lover.
  rkreish | Sep 20, 2014 |

Erin Kellyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chibnall, Chrismain authorall editionsconfirmed
"There is a condition worse than blindness, and that is seeing something that isn't there." —Thomas Hardy
One road in, one road out.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,061,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible