The Awakening of Miss Prim by Natalia…

The Awakening of Miss Prim (2013)

by Natalia Sanmartin Fenollera

English (11)  Spanish (5)  All (16)
The Awakening of Miss Prim. Natalia Sanmartin Fenollera. 2013. I loved this book! It is whimsical, romantic, intelligent, a beautifully written. I wanted to start over and read it again when I finished it. Miss Prim is highly educated young woman who is very sure of herself and set in her ways. She is working in an undemanding office job. By chance she sees and add for a librarian to arrange a private library. When she arrives she finds a house full of children studying the classics and theology. Her unnamed employer is educating the children the way he’s sees fit and expects her to fit in with this eccentric group. She is immediately attracted and offended by her employer. We join her in falling in love with the tiny little town that doesn’t want to give in to modernity. Such a love story! ( )
  judithrs | Jun 7, 2017 |
Another re-telling of Pride & Prejudice - in the form of European chicklit- in other words all the usual love of shabby chic, traditions, tea (fortunately no cupcakes) and books, but scattered throughout are references to Greek philosophy, Russian Orthodox beliefs and a substantial number of classics. Enjoyable. ( )
  Deborahrs | Apr 15, 2017 |
"Wanted: a feminine spirit quite undaunted by the world to work as a librarian for a gentleman and his books. Able to live with dogs and children. Preferably without work experience. Graduates and postgraduates need not apply."

Disillusioned with her current job and lifestyle, Prudencia Prim responds to this advert which takes her to San Ireneo. From thereon in life will never be the same. I don't want to spoil the plot so can only urge you to become acquainted with The Man in the Wingchair and his precocious charges, the delightful members of the San Ireneo Feminist League and the various other characters that inhabit San Ireneo.

Initially one has a feeling of having entered a parallel universe, but it is hard not to feel drawn to the guiding principles and ideologies of the village. The book certainly makes you think about the meaning of life and the nature of society with it's philosophical debates and sprinkling of literary references.

While Prudencia is very aptly named Prim, part of the charm of the novel is following her development as the villagers begin to chip away at her reserve.

The publishers state that The Awakening of Miss Prim is a delightfully unusual and entertaining tale of literature, love and the search for happiness, I can only concur and heartily recommend it.

I received an e copy of this book via NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  Jilldoyle | Mar 27, 2016 |
It is hard for me to decide what I think of this book. The characters didn't fit the pattern I expected. No one felt quite real to me. There was a lot to think about with all the philosophical debate that went on. I had to take long pauses to ruminate. ( )
  njcur | Feb 9, 2016 |
Tired of the clamor of the city and her mind, Prudencia Prim heads to a remote village to apply for a position as a librarian for a gentleman's private collection. This she does despite meeting none of the expectations an qualifications in the advert. When she is given the job she is surprised over and over again by the residents of both the house and the village. Neither is what she expected to find and she is unsure of how to behave when she does get to know both, despite having very strong opinions on the way things ought to be.

This was an unexpected gem of a novel! Utterly enchanting, it definitely rates up there with some of the best novels of the year. Originally published in Spanish in 2011, it was just released in English in 2014. I am disappointed to only just now be discovering it and that as yet I have seen no other reviews. Prudential and all the other residents of this novel charmed me, but what I loved most is that they are realistic. No one . Is without their flaws, there is no one is perfect or perfectly hateful. While thereis a romance, this novel is so much more than that. It is overflowing with ancient knowledge, philosophy , critiques on modern education and society, references to great literature and poetry, theological debates, and perhaps best of all study of the human psyche. I picked this book up off my library's new books shelf on a whim, but it is definitely one I will be buying both for my permanent collection and friends and family. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
They think that they regret the past, when they are but longing after the future.
—John Henry Newman
To my parents, Miguel and Cuca,
with love, gratitude, and admiration
Everyone in San Ireneo de Arnois remarked on Miss Prim's arrival.

Prudencia Prim is a young woman of intelligence and achievement, with a deep knowledge of literature and several letters after her name. But when she accepts the post of private librarian in the village of San Ireneo de Arnois, she is unprepared for what she encounters there. Her employer, a book-loving intellectual, is dashing yet contrarian, always ready with a critique of her cherished Jane Austen and Louisa May Alcott. The neighbors, too, are capable of charm and eccentricity in equal measure, determined as they are to preserve their singular little community from the modern world outside. Prudencia had hoped for friendship in San Ireneo but didn't suspect that she might find love-- nor that the course of her new life would offer challenge and heartache as well as joy, discovery and fireside debate. Set against a backdrop of steaming cups of tea, freshly baked cakes , and lovely company The Awakening of Miss Prim is a distinctive and delightfully entertaining tale of literature, philosophy, and the search for happiness -- Unedited summary from the book.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,145,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible