Infinity Key (Senyaza Series Book 2) by…

Infinity Key (Senyaza Series Book 2)

by Chrysoula Tzavelas

Really enjoyable sequel to Matchbox Girls. Branwyn is an interesting, sometimes stubborn beyond her own good character, but she wouldn't achieve what she does if she wasn't. Liked the development of Tarn. An Artificer sounds like something I'd like to be when I grow up! ( )
  waclements7 | Oct 27, 2015 |
I am starting to like the concept of Heavenly Machines! ( )
  glindaharrison | Oct 19, 2015 |
I am starting to like the concept of Heavenly Machines! ( )
  glindaharrison | Oct 19, 2015 |
Branwyn is human. A nice, normal human – which isn’t a great thing to be when magical shenanigans, monsters, fae and wizards are running around. There can be no greater evidence of this than her best friend, Penny, slowly dying in a hospital bed. A fate that could have been Branwyn’s if Marley hadn’t worked so hard to keep her out of the supernatural drama that had consumed her life.

Branwyn doesn’t want to be protected, she doesn’t want to be a tool, a victim or something to be sheltered and she certainly doesn’t want to sit and watch her best friend die. Against all advice and all established knowledge, she reaches out to Tarn, a fae noble, in his imprisonment in the fae world. He’s definitely using her for his own devices but he is the only one who offers even flimsy hope of saving Penny’s life – and, perhaps, of Branwyn learning some human skills that will allow her to protect herself in the magical world she has been plunged into.

When I started reading this book I was very worried I would hate Branwyn because in many ways she does exactly what I hate human characters in Urban Fantasy to do. She seeks out danger, she gets in way over her head, she doesn’t listen to warnings, she takes massive risks and she doesn’t know nearly enough to be safe. That is usually a recipe for me to be cursing a character and the magical luck that allows her to somehow exist and breathe through.

But Branwyn works. She works because she is extremely, painfully, aware of how vulnerable she is in fact the core of everything she does is because she is so vulnerable – she’s trying to reduce that vulnerability. She’s an aware human in the supernatural world – she’s inherently vulnerable. She’s tired of having to rely on the (sometimes dubious) protection of others and she can’t bring herself to pretend she isn’t aware of the supernatural around her. She needs to take these risks or spend the rest of her life being at risk or dependent on other people which is most definitely not her nor something she could endure.

It works, it fits her personality – she’s irrepressible, irreverent, fun loving, passionate and defiant – not in a constantly angry kind of way, but in her insistence that she will walk her own path and do her own thing and isn’t going to accept what others lay down as “the way things are.” This also makes her very determined and completely unwilling to accept the inevitable fatalism about Penny’s slow death, nor accept that her vulnerability or lesser status is just something she has to put up with. She’s also, unlike Marley, not willing to take the word of Senyaza for anything –neither assuming they know everything or assuming that they have her best interests in mind (especially since they’re more than a little condescending when it comes to humans anyway)

This makes her an excellent, caring, challenging character – if I had any criticism at al, it’s that her “irreverence” often comes across as brash or even outright rude with little justification for it – and seems more like showing off bravado than appropriateness of the situation. But then, when the only power you have in a situation is confidence and bluff – and making it abundantly clear to all concerned that you will NOT be playing by their rules then you have to spin it well.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 27, 2014 |
Plot: 5 stars
Characters: 4 1/2 stars
Style: 4 1/2 stars
Pace: 4 1/2 stars

Rounding up, slightly, because it managed to have it's own plot arc amongst all the building of subplots, which is a particular pet issue for me with second books. It's refreshing to see characters who aren't special snowflakes, but take power for themselves to help friends and loved ones with full understanding of what they're getting themselves into. The only downside, of course, is in creating a very fleshed out world, there's such an assortment of characters, and sometimes I had trouble remembering who was who from the previous book. Luckily for my overtaxed synapses, there were always clues to indicate who they were, which was nice.

Will I have my eyes peeled for the third of these in kickstarter print? Heck yes! ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193646053X, Paperback)

After her best friend is pulled into the supernatural underworld, Branwyn isn't about to sit on the sidelines. Unfortunately, Branwyn is decidedly mortal, and in the supernatural underworld, humans are weak and helpless, no better than toys, tools and prey. But she isn't having any of that. Branwyn wants to face the world on her own terms, mortal or not. When she strikes a bargain with an imprisoned faerie, Branwyn thinks she's found the solution. He'll teach her magic and she'll use that magic on his behalf. It's a great deal, until she discovers what the faeries really want from her: there's a door that only she can open...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:56 -0400)

Chrysoula Tzavelas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,980,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible