Before They Find Us by Michelle A. Hansen

Before They Find Us

by Michelle A. Hansen

READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you!

When she was eleven, Rebecca witnessed a horrible crime, that lead to a lot of commotion in her small community. Now, six years later, her best friend Ryan is wanted by the police as a terrorist. The two couldn't possibly be related, can they?

The book was OK. I enjoyed reading it and it was a faster read than I expected, but it was nothing special. The story didn't seem too realistic, but as it was enjoyable, I didn't mind too much. A lot of the story was more about the romance than the actual story, slowing the story down. I've never read/watched Twilight (and this book does not contain any vampires) but one of the MCs seems to take of his shirt for no particular reason, all book long... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
You read the prologue and set that part aside. It will come back, but you have to wait for it. Unlike some prologues, this one makes the reader intensely interested to know more. The story begins with Rebecca (Beck) as our protagonist. She’s seventeen and has already learned not to take any guff from anybody. Her story suggests that she lived through a type of hell when she was only eleven. Like the prologue, the author keeps you waiting for this one too. Beck, living in Wyoming, begins receiving threatening text messages. At first, she’s in denial. Someone must have dialed a wrong number. But the texts continue. In parallel, her best friend, Ryan, going to school in Las Vegas, was being questioned by the police. Someone had told them that Ryan was threatening to kill people at his school.

The next day, a bomb goes off at Ryan’s school leaving a few fatalities. Beck is beside herself with worry. Where is Ryan and is he safe? He surprises her by arriving in Wyoming, but he needs to keep a low profile. The police are looking for him. In light of what they were asking him the day before, he’s their prime suspect. She hides him up in their loft. But, with police now poking around Beck’s house, they travel back to Las Vegas to do their own investigating. They have to get to the bottom of this.

This is such an intriguing story geared toward YA readers. The reader gets a feeling rather early in the book that the friendship between Ryan and Beck may just turn into something more. Both characters are developed well and the reader really begins to care what happens to them. I loved her loyalty to Ryan and I loved the dialogue between the two. I did have an issue with believability, but even still, the story line and the mystery were enjoyable. Rating: 4 out of 5. ( )
  FictionZeal | Jan 18, 2016 |
Before They Find Us by Michelle Hansen jumped full force into a story line where I felt like I’d missed the first half. The characters were well developed but there were a lot of them so it took me time to sort them out.

In meeting Wade in the prologue Mary thought “The truck could have driven right out of her best & worst memories. She wondered if it smelled like chewing tobacco & pine tree air freshener the way Kyle’s used to.”

They were in the parking lot of an IHOP “‘Mary,’ he said when he saw her. She nodded, & he held out his arms.

“Never seen the guy before, & she walked right into his arms. He hugged her tight--in a real bear hug--like he missed her his whole life.”

In the locker room of the high school Becca was working with a member of the football team: “Drake Yancey hopped onto the table next to Brandon. He kicked off his shoes. Drake had the hairiest feet I’d ever seen. The guys called him Sasquatch."

Becca’s phone buzzed with a text. “‘It’s a death threat’, Drake said. ‘And, you know, it’s Rebecca.’

Bam! There it was--the crime out of nowhere, & totally not forgotten. Drake might as well have said, ‘half the town still hates her because she killed Kyle Rasmussen’.”

“Even if he [Brandon] agreed, it’s the unwritten rule that you never said it aloud. It was the kind of thing people said behind my back, never to my face.”

Becca is interacting on the phone with Ryan who had been questioned by the Las Vegas Police & the FBI after a bombing at his school. “They wanted to know if I was depressed. Did I think about harming myself? Do I feel bullied at school?’

“I burst out laughing. Ryan was a homecoming prince last fall. Girls were always leaving flirty little notes on his facebook wall, which I teased him about. Plus, he was like the Old Faithful of optimism, which kind of made you wonder why he was friends with me.” Becca thought.

Could Becca & Jordan help clear Ryan’s name before whoever was hunting them down to kill them found them? Could they avoid the police & the FBI? It was an interesting young adult suspense filled thriller & I gave it four stars because it kept me guessing.

I would like to thank Priest Rapids Press & NetGalley for the free kindle copy. That did not influence my opinion of this review. ( )
  carolyninjoy | Jan 15, 2016 |

The lone witness to a horrific crime when she was a child, Rebecca Hales struggles with the aftermath. It was her testimony that put a murderer behind bars and left her with nightmares that still keep her up at odd hours. Her best friend Ryan has always been her rock, but now he's gone, leaving her in Wyoming while he finishes high school in Nevada. But all the distance in the world can't sever their bond. Even when the whole world goes haywire.

One threatening text is easy to write off. A wrong number. A bad joke. A fit of drama on a digital screen. But then there's the second text. And the third. And the creepy guy at the convenience store in the middle of the night. And when halfway across the country, a bomb in Ryan's locker kills several students and puts the the FBI on his trail, two friends find themselves on the run, trying to keep ahead of the cops as they scramble to figure out what's really happening and clear Ryan's name.

Every now and then I find a book that plucks me right out of reality and places me in another place, another character's shoes, another life so thoroughly that I forget dinner, forget about what I have to get done at work this week, and just about forget where I am. And to think I almost passed this one up.

When I first saw the cover of Before They Find Us on the tour announcement, I scrolled right past it. Shadows in an alley? Looks like a mystery or a crime or some other dark mess I'm not interested in. But then I noticed it a few more times, read the summary, and thought about it some more. It was probably going to be far-fetched and borderline ridiculous. Maybe I'd figure out who the killer was (assuming there was one) within the first couple of chapters and then have to force myself to finish reading it. The characters wouldn't be believable, every plot twist would be predictable, or every stroke of luck would just be a little too convenient. Or maybe I'm just an idiot who doesn't immediately jump at the chance to read something fantastic. Yep, that last one sounds pretty accurate just about now.

It's rare that I enjoy a book so much that I'm still half in that other world hours after reading it, but that's exactly what happened with this one. I fell in love with Beck and Ryan, with their friendship and their easy banter, with their loyalty and love and determination to see each other through hell, no matter what came at them. The detailed scenes, the secondary characters, the fumbling to find answers... It was perfectly plotted and paced, and there was no way I was putting the book down until I'd read through to the last page. Not once was I tempted to skim or skip or just cruise past details. I wanted every single word of it.

Before They Find Us perfectly folds young love, teen drama, and true friendship into an incredibly gripping tale of suspense and danger that simply blew me away. For once, I couldn't connect the dots to unveil the mystery before the story did it for me, and while there are some intense scenes, it's not too gritty for teen readers. I'm tempted to say I want more, but that would imply that something's lacking, which is definitely not the case. Perhaps when I finally get my mind out of the story and back to my incredibly boring reality, I'll be able to better explain what makes it such a great book, but for now I think it's safe to say I'm on board for pretty much anything else Michelle Hansen writes.

***FicCentral received this book from Xpresso Book Tours for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |
Thanks to Michelle Hansen for sending me the ARC to read and review via NetGalley.

[b:Before They Find Us|18810467|Before They Find Us|Michelle A. Hansen|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1384672676s/18810467.jpg|26745039] is, by far, my favourite book of 2014. Fast paced, brilliantly written and thrilling, it is perfect in every sense.

Meet Rebecca Hales. She's your straight-A student with only one slight problem.

She witnessed a terrible crime when she was eleven and now they're after them.

Who are 'they'? Good question. Michelle Hansen keeps you on your toes throughout this remarkable story, until the very end.

And who are 'them', you may ask? Them are Rebecca and her best friend/love interest Ryan. Two states away, a bomb goes off in his locker and he's suddenly targeted as a possible terrorist.

They're on the run -- and looking for answers.

It's fast paced, brilliantly written and thrilling -- perfect in every sense. I would, personally, recommend this book to anyone. It might not be your 'type' but I'm sure you would enjoy it nevertheless.

Big thumbs up to Michelle Hansen and her fantastic writing! ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |

I’m going to make you wish you were dead. Just a text. Seventeen-year-old Rebecca Hales tries not to worry. Probably a wrong number. Not really meant for her, and definitely not related to the crime she witnessed six years ago. Right? Then two states away, a bomb goes off in her best friend's locker. Soon Ryan is labeled a terrorist and runs to the safest place he knows—Rebecca’s house in small-town Wyoming. It doesn’t take long for the FBI to show up asking questions. Rebecca lies, of course, and says she hasn’t seen him. Now she's neck-deep in it with him, whatever "it" is. The only way out is to return to Vegas, where Ryan is a wanted man. The city of lies and illusion tests Rebecca’s wits as she struggles to find the person who framed Ryan and why. Is Rebecca’s text linked to the bombing? And what does it have to do with a six year old murder? Rebecca needs to find out before she loses Ryan—and her own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:09 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,760,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible