The Frost of Springtime by Rachel L. Demeter

The Frost of Springtime

by Rachel L. Demeter

Originally posted at Bunny's Review

This was an interesting story. I honestly have not read any story dealing with the Paris Commune.

I admit this was a little hard for me to get into, nothing wrong with the story, plot, editing or anything. It was very well written it was just me not the book.

Starting out a mother is trying to sell her daughter in a brothel. Looking back I wonder how many times something similar happened. A time when no law or government agency was around to protect a child and a parent was allowed to discipline a child however they pleased. Something like this really makes a person question how ruthless our ancestors were.

I could say I had high hopes for this book and it let me down but that would be wrong. I feel I let the book down by not fully enjoying everything.

I do recommend this book to romance readers.

The bunnies and I give this book carrots.

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review. All views are my own and do not reflect those of the author, my clients or tour companies I work with. This is not a paid review. To form your own opinion please support the author and acquire your own legal copy of the book. ( )
  kybunnies | Oct 19, 2014 |
Romantic, historical novel about a forbidden love! What a wonderfully written book, I couldn't put it down. The beautiful connection between Alek and Sofia and the dramas that unfolded throughout the story, kept me absolutely captivated. I loved reading this book and would happily read another by Rachel L. Demeter.
*I received a copy from the author for an honest review. ( )
1 vote krudeseal | Jun 5, 2014 |
Wow!!!! I was blown away by this beautifully written story of Alek and Sofia's forbidden love!!!! Besides having two riveting main characters, the story was full of interesting secondary characters and rich in history. I enjoyed every minute of this intricately detailed and epic love story unlike anything I've ever read before. This is by far the best historical novel I have read this year.....I can't believe this is a debut novel!! Rachel L. Demeter has set the bar high....I can't wait to read more from this new very talented author. ( )
1 vote Melvinaann | Jun 2, 2014 |
From Chapter Twenty-One:

“I sleep but my heart is awake. Listen! My beloved is knocking:
‘Open to me, my sister, my darling, my dove, my flawless one. My
head is drenched with dew, my hair with the dampness of the night.’
My beloved thrust his hand through the latch-opening; my heart began
to pound for him. I arose to open for my beloved, and my hands
dripped with myrrh, my fingers with flowing myrrh, on the handles
of the bolt. I opened for my beloved, but my beloved had left; he was
gone. And my heart sank at his departure.”

— Song of Songs 5
For my grandparents, who shared the most inspiring love story of all.
Paris could have been mistaken for a ghost town. The night was black, oily and slick as ink. Swollen clouds spread out to the horizon, sealing the heavens off from earth. The only noise for miles around was the wind’s mournful cry. It echoed, penetrating the emptiness with an eerie howl.

To rescue her was to rescue his own soul.

On a cold Parisian night, Vicomte Aleksender de Lefèvre forges an everlasting bond with a broken girl during her darkest hour, rescuing her from a life of abuse and misery. Tormented by his own demons, he finds his first bit of solace in sheltering little Sofia Rose.

But when Aleksender is drawn away by the Franco-Prussian war, the seasons pass. And in that long year, Sofia matures into a stunning young woman—a dancer with an understanding of devotion and redemption far surpassing her age.

Alongside his closest friend, Aleksender returns home to find that “home” is gone, replaced by revolution, bloodshed, betrayal—and a love always out of reach. Scarred inside and out, he’s thrust into a world of sensuality and violence—a world in which all his hours have now grown dark, and where only Sofia might bring an end to the winter in his heart.

Inspired by the 1871 Paris Commune, The Frost of Springtime is a poignant tale of revolution, redemption, and the healing power of love.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Rachel L. Demeter's book The Frost of Springtime was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Rachel L. Demeter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,681,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible