Sundance: A Novel by David Fuller

Sundance: A Novel

by David Fuller

6220191,731 (3.58)2

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love westerns. That is why I was excited to read this book when I got a copy back when it was released. I started reading this book and got to about chapter 6 and then I had started to lose interest in the book. So I put is down which has ended up for about a year unread since that moment I put the book down. In an effort to try to dwindle my to be read pile and read some of my older books, I picked this book up again. I did not go back and re-read the first 5 chapters. I just started reading where I left off. After about reading 4 more chapters, I realized that while the background location, Etta, and Harry were fine, I had no real interest in anything that was really happening in the story. Plus, I found that the story seemed to drag on for long periods of time. I finally skipped ahead to the last chapter to see how the story ended. Which the ending was not bad. ( )
  Cherylk | Jul 22, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sundance is the story of what might have happened if The Sundance Kid did not die when history says he did. Most of the story revolves around his search for his wife after he gets out of prison. The search takes him to the city where he sees things that he has never seen before. He is out of place in a world of electricity and automobiles. There is a lot of fish out of water, man out of time stuff. The idea may not be unheard of but the original setting gives it an interesting spin. The story is more of a mystery than anything else. Sundance has turned into more of a detective than a gunfighter. There is some action in the story but there is more following of clues than shooting going on. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I went in expecting a western and that is not really what I got. I did like the way he learns about his wife during his search for her; finding out what she has done and who she has become while he was in prison. I thought that was an interesting way to develop a character that you haven't even met. Unfortunately I had lukewarm feelings about just about everyone in the book and had trouble caring much about them. I think I would have liked it better if it was not about The Sundance Kid and just about some other gunfighter. It could have been much the same story and I would not have gone into it with expectations that were not met. It was not a bad story it was just not quite as exciting or as interesting as I had hoped.
  bedda | Apr 26, 2015 |
I loved the possibility that this story raised. What a great idea! The ending was also a great surprise. Well done. ( )
  tinkermn | Mar 29, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A "what if?" exploration of the Sundance Kid--like other readers I came in with some reservations, but the story is convincing and well-researched, and the mysterious Etta Place comes to life in a vivid way. The place of the Western outlaw in a rapidly changing world really does make for a great tale. ( )
  corglacier7 | Nov 14, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sundance was not killed with Butch Cassidy in Central America. No, he was jailed in Wyoming under another name. This story is about the years after his prison release and his search in New York City for Etta Place. Before reading this fictional story, I was biased against the tale. But it is well written and an interesting read; probably contains just about as much truth as many of the nonfiction genre books written about Butch and Sundance. ( )
  eduscapes | Oct 5, 2014 |

"When Harry Longbaugh, better known as the Sundance Kid, is released from prison in 1913, he is determined to find his wife, following her to New York City, where he confronts a changed world and enemies, old and new in this complex and involving historical novel"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

David Fuller's book Sundance was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,510,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible