Sheikh's Scandal by Lucy Monroe

Sheikh's Scandal

by Lucy Monroe

I have read this so many times I still get goosebumps from each chapters events. I absolutely love it. There hasn't been a book that kept me this excited in a long time. I can relate to the characters and that makes it even better. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
At the death of her mother, Liyah is finally given a clue to her absent father's identity: he is Gene Chatsfield, a rich hotelier. Liyah goes to work for him in hopes of meeting him, but after he dismisses her attempt to tell him they're related with immediate claims that she's a lying golddigger, she runs into the arms of a visiting sheikh. After a torrid night of passion, the couple fears that she's gotten pregnant, so he brings her with him to his home country. While there they fall in love, have lots of (completely not described) sex, and eventually get married.

Liyah and Sayed are cute together, with banter and intimacies that are, if not completely naturalistic, at least provide some basis to believe they know each other. But aside from that, this felt very empty, and the ending is rushed. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I really must stop reading books that are a part of a series; be it the first one or the 9th one. And you guessed it; this is the first in a series of books with each novella being written by different authors. I MUST also refrain from romance books that have instant love element which, let’s face it, is totally ridiculous.

The book is written to the usual tried and tested formula. The characters are interesting but the emir is rather annoying to say the least. He is not your usual alpha male but rather an honourable which is something refreshing, in this day and age, but annoying. And we are constantly reminded that he is honourable throughout the book. She is sweet, vulnerable, loyal, and taken advantage of although she did not put up too much of a fight.

There is very little for these characters to overcome and no angst to add to the tension. The small inconsistencies in the story are off putting to say the least; not least the huge inconsistency which would NOT be tolerated in any form. Finally, the HEA ending felt rushed and there was no epilogue which was rather depressing. Overall this is a non-deep, quick easy read with some hot bits but for this reader there was still something lacking.

If you are looking for a short, cute romantic read then this is for you but if you want something more from your romance stories I would suggest you look somewhere else.

Full Disclosure: ARC received from Netgalley for an honest review. ( )
  anuttyquilter | Mar 21, 2015 |
Originally published on Tales to Tide You Over

I have come to expect Lucy Monroe to push the edge in her romances, so imagine my surprise when this book seemed to start out so amazingly typical beyond elevating Liyah Amari to a position of some authority on the hotel housekeeping staff. I should have had more faith.

Monroe riffs off the traditional line like a talented guitar player, adding complexity to Sheikh Sayed of Zeena Sarha by making him ill-suited for the role life has thrust on him, or so he thinks. Gone is the brash, arrogant, cocky desert warrior of tradition, replaced with a man determined to fill the shoes tragedy left him when his brother died though he finds the fit constricting and sees little true happiness in a path of duty and responsibility. He finds himself wanting in comparison to the brother he’s lost.

For her part, Liyah is the child of a lapse in judgment who has just lost her mother, the only family she’s had because her father abandoned them after the affair and her mother’s traditional family turned their back on them because of the scandal. Only in her mother’s death, she learns who her father is and has the opportunity to go meet him, a rewriting of everything she knew about herself.

These situations help set up the story and provide obstacles throughout the novel, especially when, in a moment of weakness, Liyah follows the same path her mother had in having sex with Sayed. Neither begins the book looking for a romantic connection, Liyah because of a strict upbringing and Sayed because he’s about to embark on a political marriage. Despite an instant connection, both exercise supreme control to prevent acting on it. But circumstances thrust them together and keep them close until they recognize the truth of their bond. The novel is very sensual and explicit, but even in those moments, it’s all about who they are, how life shaped them, and what they intend to do with that life.

This opens the book to another tradition: the secret baby. Even here though, in Monroe’s hands cliche takes on a new feel because the baby is critical as just a possibility, and has political as well as personal ramifications.

What begins as an homage to the desert sheikh romances of the 80s takes on a very modern feel through complex characters and a complicated story that allows them the space to learn and grow. It incorporates cultural elements often missing from the earlier stories, whether in how to address Sayed or who should have a special tea set. Even better, instead of the blonde Caucasian who amazes the dark Middle Easterners with her contrast, Liyah is a mixed-race second-generation American with family ties to his own country and who has been raised aware of her cultural heritage.

Monroe offers a traditional romance story with all the right pieces to satisfy a romance reader, but adds her own twists to make it just a bit more complicated and compelling.

P.S. I received this title from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  MarFisk | Jun 6, 2014 |
For my editor, Suzanne Clarke. It's always a little bit terrifying changing editors, but you've made it a really lovely experience and I'm thrilled how well our creative visions mesh. I'm also delighted to find we are kindred spirits in other areas. I feel as if we're a destined team. Thank you!
Not easily impressed, Liyah Amari very nearly stopped to gawp upon entering the Chatsfield London for the first time.

When the Sheikh comes to town…

Liyah Amari only took the position as chambermaid to find the truth about her birth father. But her search ends in heartache, leaving Liyah vulnerable to this powerful Sheikh's desires. Now their one night of passion could result in a scandalous consequence for the proud Sheikh!

Welcome to The Chatsfield, London!

Sheikh Sayed of Zeena Sarha and his harem of beautiful women are staying at the exclusive, opulent Chatsfield Hotel, London, for the last stop on his worldwide tour before his wedding. But when his engagement is unceremoniously broken, Sayed sets his sights on his sexy chambermaid! Liyah Amari only took the position as chambermaid to find the truth about her birth father. But her search ends in heartache, leaving Liyah vulnerable to this powerful Sheikh's desires. Now their one night of passion could resuld in a scandalous consequence for the proud Sheikh.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible