A Promise of More: The Disgraced Lords…

A Promise of More: The Disgraced Lords Series: A Loveswept Historical…

by Bronwen Evans

A Libertine's descent...

So, Lord Sebastian Hawkstone, Marquis of Coldhurst, is a member of the Libertine Scholars' clique/ club. Libertine is right! The Oxford dictionary assigns further synonyms. A libertine in the sense used here (yes, there are other meanings!) is 'a person who is morally or sexually unrestrained, especially a dissolute man; a profligate; a rake.'Likewise descriptions were lecherous, licentious, lewd, really the list goes on...
Seconds into reading, and in keeping with said libertine behaviour, I'm already into a highly descriptive encounter between Sebastian and a courtesan Clarice that is more mechanics than intimacy. Really, I'm feeling quite jaded by the time I've read the second page. Just how many more bouncing body parts are going to be trotted out I wonder?
The crux of the matter is that this sexual encounter serves as the basis for the ongoing storyline. A duel ensues between Sebastian and a young man, one Douglas Hennessey, the Baron of Larkwell, after Doogie bursts in upon the scene. The courtesan is Doogie's mistress. Unfortunately, Sebastian kills him and has to flee the country.
The plot thickens and things are turned on their head. Three plus months later we have Sebastian pardoned and coming back to England only to be confronted at the docks by the sister of the young Baron he'd killed. Sebastian agrees to marry Beatrice Hennnessey more or less as penance for his deed and because it was about time he turned respectable (for his sister's sakes), married and went for an heir and spare. He saw it as a marriage of convenience. I really liked Beatrice. She's much maligned by the mean pettiness of the 'ton'. She has character and resolve. As the story went on, I came to like Sebastian who is not quite the utter cad I first thought. Though he certainly has a problem with emotional intimacy and 'love.'
Anyway misunderstandings, murders, attacks, and potential deaths litter the path of Sebastian as we view this particular Scholar's descent into the folly, or madness, of true love.
Meanwhile it seems the other Libertine Scholars are also under attack. But these are other stories.
Those jouncing body parts continue to be examined albeit in the marital bed.
I thought the storyline had real merit but I don't know that it needed such frequent and intimate forays into the bedroom bliss of our couple. I have however come to appreciate that the 'Loveswept' part of the title is really code for the frequent mad passionate moments described in detail. These seem to have a similar purpose to that of the use of the word 'and' in a sentence. The sexual encounters link the various plots and counterplots in the story with sweeping abandonment.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Apr 15, 2014 |
A PROMISE OF MORE by Bronwen Evans is another exciting Historical Romance set in 1815-1816 London, England. #2 in the "Disgraced Lords" series, but can be read as a stand alone. See, "A Kiss of Lies".

Meet, Beatrice Hennessey, whose brother, Lord Coldhurst is accused of killing in a duel and Sebastian Hawkestone, Lord Coldhurst, the man who dueled with her brother earlier and one of the famous Disgraced Lords.

Fast paced with passion, secrets, and finding love. I adore this series and this author. A PROMISE OF MORE was more romantic than intrigue to me. It was more about the love and romance, than the danger the Disgraced Lords are facing.

But with this said....there is much to enjoy about A PROMISE OF MORE, such as the passion, secrets and the romance. Toward the end, we learn more of the person out to destroy the Disgraced Lords, but not their reason for doing so. The sins of the father is to be re-visited upon the sons. For this is what, this person is intent on doing....destroying the sons of the fathers who abused or whatever this person years earlier.

If you enjoy mystery, suspense, a bit of intrigue, and lots of romance and passion, than do pick up A PROMISE OF MORE, you will not regret your choice of reading material. Ms. Evans, pulls the reader into the story and holds them there long after the last page. I can hardly wait to see what's next in this fast paced drama filled, with a tale of intrigue and passion. A must read!! Well done! Received for an honest review.

RATING: 4.5

HEAT RATING: HOT

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Mar 31, 2014 |
I loved this romance from start to finish, I couldn't put it down.
Sebastian Hawkeston, Lord Coldhurst is a rake, he doesn't take mistresses' or have relationships, he likes a free life and doesn't believe in love it just complicates things. But his life has just changed he has just shot and killed someone by accident in a duel and has to flee England.
Beatrice Hennessey has lost her brother, he was shot and killed in a duel by Sebastian.
Her family have no money and are facing financial ruin, so she has to get married.
Sebastian seems the best choice to ask to marry her, he's rich and it is his fault they are on their own and she knew what she wanted and had to do, so went out there and faced it, even if it had to be her brothers murderer.
Sebastian turned out to be a wonderful introduction to the marriage bed, but very jealous.
There was lots of tender romance, mystery and drama to keep you turning the pages in this great story, I love how the story includes small parts off the previous Disgraced Lords book and this one is a cliffhanger so I'm eagerly awaiting the next
The Disgraced Lords exciting story.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JulieD2 | Mar 10, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,064,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible