What Follows After: A Novel by Dan Walsh

What Follows After: A Novel

by Dan Walsh

Dan Walsh hits it out of the ballpark again! Once I started I didn't want to put the book down. The story compels you from one moment to the next. The family dynamics drive on to the end. He includes a time in history that effected Americans to the core and blends his tale within it. The characters are well developed and I grew to care about them to the end. The tenderness that envelopes this family will grab at your heart. If you like any of his other books, you will want to read this one! ( )
  sh2rose | Sep 6, 2016 |
This is a book that really got me thinking about family dynamics and how the children view what is going on in families. I work with children and see things very similar in their ways of thinking and that if they this thing then this will happen in their family. Colt and his brother Timmy decide that they are going to get their family back together by running away to their aunt's house in Savannah and refusing to come back until their parents get back together. They way they do this leaves you turning pages to see what all happens next.
I received this book free for review. ( )
  polarmath | Apr 12, 2014 |
Dan Walsh has been called the Christian Nicholas Sparks. Although I am not a fan of Sparks, I can see why that comparison has been made. But in my opinion, Walsh is head and shoulders above Sparks, mostly because he writes things that are true according to God’s word. In his latest novel, What Follows After, he has created a story that combines history, suspense and family drama and kept me reading and hoping until the last page. The novel is filled with believable characters, real-life situations and a quiet faith message that is also powerful. If you are a fan of Nicholas Sparks, put his novel down and go get What Follows After.

October 1962 was remarkable for the event in American history known as the Cuban Missile Crisis. But for the Harrisons of Daytona Beach, Florida it represented an important turning point for their family. Determined to stop lying about his family’s situation and bring about the reconciliation of his parents, Colt convinces his little brother, Timmy, to run away to their aunt and uncle’s home. Colt reasons that his parents will have to face up to their problems and make a change to restore their life. But what seemed like a good plan for an eleven year old, turns out to be a parent’s worse nightmare when 5 year old Timmy is kidnapped. The country is distracted by the face off between America and the Soviets and the FBI is short-handed, so what would normally be a huge news story and police action, becomes a story on page 3 or 4.

Walsh does a good job of characterization in What Follows After. The story begins with now grown and retired, Colt, traveling back to the place Timmy was found. His childhood trauma is still very much with him and he has to deal with emotions long buried. Both grown-up Colt and eleven year old Colt are well-drawn and developed, as are the other characters, especially Colt’s father, Scott. Real emotions, attitudes and reactions are presented. And just because the story is set in 1962, don’t think what the Harrison family goes through isn’t relevant today. There is a lot of emotional and spiritual growth going on. The only negative I had with the story was the conversation Scott has with brother-in-law, Mike. Although I agree with everything Mike says, the presentation seems a bit stilted. However the story, the faith message and the great job of capturing America in the early 60s more than make up for that.

Another good book from an author that has become a favorite.

Recommended.

(Thanks to Revell for my review copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Apr 9, 2014 |
Deceit serves no one. When marriage is compromised by a misunderstood observation the fallout impacts an entire family. An unforgiving wife refuses to consider her husband's explanation of an innocent event, alienating him, and the family unit is broken. Scott Harrison is forced to leave his home and family, and Gina takes on a full-time job while raising the children. In an attempt to protect themselves and their family's reputation, Scott and Gina have been living a lie over a 10-month time frame, even convincing their sons to lie about the broken family. Eleven and six, Colt and Timmy embark on a bus trip to seek solace with their favorite aunt and uncle. While stopped at a diner Timmy is kidnapped, setting the stage for an FBI search for the little boy.

Set in 1962 at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis, all of America is on high alert, keeping local law enforcement agencies and the FBI occupied with the potential crisis the world is facing. Two FBI agents are assigned to the kidnapping case, and their leads are few and far between. As leads turn into dead ends and information is waning the search for Timmy becomes more dismal.

Dan Walsh has written a compelling, dramatic and poignant novel of a broken family whose lives are further fraught with anguish due to the kidnapping of their youngest child. This novel is replete with reality. I experienced the angst of the Harrisons throughout this novel, as their lives evolved into the quest for healing and the return of their child. Their faith in God is tested and the author's nuances regarding their frustration and anxiety are exceptional. Dan Walsh has surpassed my expectations through this beautifully written, heart wrenching story of broken trust, deception and fear of the future. His information regarding the Cuban Missile Crisis is well researched and accurate. Redemption and resolution are developed with clarity and compassion. I highly recommend this novel written with depth and discernment. This is Dan's best novel thus far!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Revell for the express purpose of my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.
added by NanceeM | editReviewer, Nancee Marchinowski (Apr 10, 2014)

In this emotional story, Dan Walsh takes readers on a journey to rediscover the things that matter most in life--love, truth, and family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:19 -0400)

In October 1962, Colt Harrison and his little brother, Timmy, hatched a plan. They would run away from their Florida home, head for their aunt's house in Savannah, Georgia, and refuse to come home until their parents got back together. But things go terribly, terribly wrong. Colt's mother and father must come to grips with years of neglect and mistrust in order to recover their beloved sons, their love for one another, and their broken marriage.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,056,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible