Why I Killed My Best Friend by Amánda…

Why I Killed My Best Friend

by Amánda Michalopoulou

Thoroughly enjoyable and readable book of two girls' friendship from age 9 through to adulthood against the backdrop of political upheaval in Greece. The overt territory is similar to Ferrante's My Brilliant Friend, but the tensions of the best friends (or "frienemies") Anna and Maria is cleverly mirrored against the national and international upheavals in the same timeframe. An honest and brutal exploration of friendship and growing up with all its attendant rivalries, jealousies, insecurities and misunderstandings. For me, along with the interwoven sly humour, make this a important and lasting book with more to offer on rereading. Thanks publisher Open Letter and translator Karen Emmerich! ( )
1 vote rrmmff2000 | Aug 26, 2016 |
3.5 stars
"with the sinister pull of puberty, their friendship morphs and twists into a dysfunctional and abusive relationship."
read more: http://likeiamfeasting.blogspot.gr/2015/11/how-i-killed-my-best-friend-amanda.ht... ( )
  mongoosenamedt | Nov 27, 2015 |
A multidimensional coming-of-age story set in Greece as its base, Africa for its beginning and Paris as its part-time playground. This dramatic tale is filled with love, loss, jealousy and intense rivalry. ( )
  BALE | Apr 7, 2015 |
Several of the reviews of this novel suggest that Amanda Michalopoulou uses Greek political history as a backdrop for her story about an intimate relationship between childhood friends until death but I have to disagree with them. Greek politics is one of the major characters in this wonderful novel. One has to understand, in the way that Karen Emmerich, the translator clearly does, that the tie between Greek people and their politics is every bit as intimate and troubled as the relationship the writer develops and chronicles between Maria and Anna. In this beautifully written text Micahlopoulou has the politics and the personal mirroring each other perfectly. She handles two massive tapestries, both the personal and the political with the sort of assurance and confidence that evokes Tolstoy's skill.

Michalopoulou brings two childhood exiles, one from Africa and one from France back to primary school in Greece where their very otherness binds them in a not entirely comfortable friendship for the rest of their lives. The subsequent tensions of this relationships and their fallings out provide the grist of the human story while the political activism that the two girls adopt and pursue allows us to view at one remove the unfolding of the repeating and ongoing disaster that is Greek political history.

The sweep and ambition of this novel is unusual these days and to say simply that the author pulls it off without the narrative ever creaking under the weight is the highest praise I can summon. This is a wonderful tour de force by a writer I intend to follow closely.
1 vote papalaz | Apr 26, 2014 |

Amánda Michalopoulouprimary authorall editionscalculated
Emmerich, KarenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A young girl named Maria is lifted from her beloved Africa and relocated to her native Greece. She struggles with the transition, hating everything about Athens: the food, the air, the school, her classmates, the language. Just as she resigns herself to misery, Anna arrives. Though Anna's refined, Parisian upbringing is the exact opposite of Maria's, the two girls instantly bond over their common foreignness, becoming inseparable in their relationship as each other's best friend, but also as each other's fiercest competition--be it in relation to boys, talents, future aspirations, or political beliefs.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,045,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible