Division of the Marked by March McCarron

Division of the Marked

by March McCarron

What I liked:

The meaning of a difference: You first meet the main characters as children, just after they’ve been marked as Chisanta. Each of them has different feelings about their transformation, what it means, and how it separated them from normal society. After training, the little group of friends is divided by their inherent affinity for one of the two Chisanta factions. When we meet them all again, years later, the friendship formed when they were children is tested by the distrust that both the Chiona and Cosantu factions bear for each other.

When the pieces fall together: nearly every piece of information in this story relates to the main plot. You don’t quite see the big picture at first, but it all makes sense by the time you reach the end.

The true meaning of sacrifice: while every Chisanta gets their first gift for free, the others require a sacrifice. It isn’t as easy as choosing to give up something you don’t want anyway, or something you decide in a moment. The sacrifices are quite specific, and you can only give them up once you’ve fully conceptualised them. It’s only when you reach a point where you can’t imagine living without them that you’re able to make the sacrifice.

What I didn’t like:

Adrenalin and desperation will only take you so far: Without spoiling anything, there’s a prison escape that didn’t ring true to me. All except one should’ve been too weak to do more than stumble down the hall.

I found this book to be thoughtful and compelling. While it doesn’t have many of the dark and gritty aspects I slaver over, I thoroughly enjoyed Division of the Marked. I see it's categorised as NA, but I think YA readers will love it. ( )
  ChaosCaitlin | May 23, 2017 |
This is an extremely well-crafted novel that's tame enough for younger readers, but mature enough for adults. While many parts of the background aren't fully explained, the explanations aren't necessary for the story, and their lack doesn't interfere with immersion in the world that the author has created. If there were any errors in editing or proofing, I didn't notice a single one; it's polished, and as good in that respect as any traditionally published novel. Viewpoint characters had tremendous depth, clues to the mysteries were handled well, giving us just enough time to figure them out (if we can), and cheer when the characters did as well. All of this was accomplished without a dragon or unicorn in sight - a very realistic, gritty world where magic may not always be subtle, but is also not common. Definitely recommended! ( )
  WingedWolf | Aug 13, 2016 |
I loved this book. I didn't know what to expect from this author and I was utterly captivated from the beginning. The plot is so well-structured and each one of the characters is developed and believable. The whole premise is so unique and imaginative. It stands out from other fantasy books coming out. Love it love it love it! Can't wait for the next one! ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |

For all of written history, on the day of Da Un Marcu, fifty boys and girls across the three kingdoms are marked. They become a class apart from society. Taken to join their brothers and sisters, the Chisanta, they enter a culture of knowledge-keepers, martial artists, and possessors of strange and wonderful abilities.

When Yarrow discovers himself marked, he feels lost and lonely; until he meets Bray, a spirited and curious girl with whom he feels uncommonly connected. As the two of them become familiar with their new lives, unaccountable events unsettle the peace. A mysterious murder leaves the Chisanta in confusion. Odder still, one of the fifty children never arrives. In the years that follow, more and more children of the Chisanta go missing.

Ten years later, the devastating truth comes to light. The death of a young marked girl is uncovered. Yarrow and Bray—separated for a decade and grown apart—are thrust back together to investigate the crime. Can they overcome their differences to save the fate of their kind and the peace of the nation?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,400,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible