Grimmtastic Girls #2: Red Riding Hood Gets…

Grimmtastic Girls #2: Red Riding Hood Gets Lost

by Joan Holub, Suzanne Williams

Grimmtastic books for older elementary age or pre-teen age girls are a delightful new series!
In Little Red Riding Hood Gets Lost, there is humor, danger, intrigue, adventure and even a small porting of romance.
Red wants the leading female role in the school play. She diligently practices but even then the tryouts did not go as she planned.
In this sequel, Red discovers many things about herself. While she and her friends played "detective",in efforts to discover the secret of "the map",
Red gets lost!

With continued action, mystery, adventure, humor and a little romance, this story keeps the reader's interest..

The tale was very well written and successfully brought the characters and scenery to life.The book cover and title could not have fit the story more perfectly.

In my review of this book, I give it a Four and a Half Stars rating.

*This book was sent to me by the author for an honest review, of which I have given. ( )
  LAWonder10 | Sep 9, 2014 |
Grimmtastic Girls #2: Little Red Riding Hood Gets Lost is the second book in the Grimmtastic Girls series from Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams. This new middle grade series was published by Scholastic in April 2014.

Cinderella is the narrator of book one, but it's Red (Little Red Riding Hood) who narrates the sequel. The reader is given enough back story so that anyone can easily step into this series. The plot moves quickly and is full of humour, fairy tale fun, a little mystery, and a lot of relatable social issues that readers can identify with. Red Riding Hood Gets Lost explores mild anxiety, irrational fears about embarrassing yourself or about losing the respect of others, and learning to be yourself.

Along with the social issues and school drama, the book hints at a coming showdown of good vs. evil. While every book appears to be about a different character and a different problem, the series is tied together by the E.V.I.L. society's plan to purge all of Grimmlandia into darkness. Not only will young readers love relating to their favourite fairy tale character, but an epic crossover battle of villains vs. heroes is coming! And after the success of ABC's Once Upon a Time, you know that there's promise in seeing a clash of fairy tale characters.

The books read for the targeted age range of 8-12, though the "cutesy" covers make the books seem like they're aimed at a younger audience. I appreciate the fact that both books in the series feature fairy tale characters of different ethnicities. But more than a series that celebrates diversity, I appreciate the educational value. These books often refer to the original authors of fairy tales and folklore, and there is certainly educational value in comparing and contrasting the many versions of the fairy tales.

The Grimmtastic Girls series is a fantastic addition to home, school, and public libraries. The books are fun, charming, and are sure to be loved by all little girl readers who love princesses, magic, and happily-ever-afters! ( )
  loveofreading | May 1, 2014 |
I read the first two books in this series aloud to my toddler before bedtime, and during our downtime. She seemed to enjoy listening to Cinda's struggle with her mean Steps at Grimm Academy and Red's troubles with the E.V.I.L Society.

I liked a few things about this series. To start, it took me back to my own childhood. There are some similar (though not nearly as "grimmtastic") series that popped into mind for me right away when I started reading. I always liked the authors that could make you feel like you were somewhere different, and Grimmlandia certainly carried me away to an imaginative place.

I thought that the conflicts and solutions were well presented in both books for the age group it was written for. I also thought it was incredibly neat that the authors co-wrote this book from so far away.

I can see these books being fun to read with my niece, who is a little older and would probably take more away from the story. After reading through the first two books in the Grimmtastic Girls series, I am excited to see what happens next for them and which character the next book focuses on. ( )
  oddball2003 | Mar 25, 2014 |

Joan Holubprimary authorall editionscalculated
Williams, Suzannemain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0545519845, Paperback)

Red Riding Hood might have a terrible sense of direction, but her grimmtastic friends are always there to help!

Once upon a time, in faraway Grimmlandia...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:45 -0400)

"Red Riding Hood is thrilled to try out for the school play. Acting is her dream, and she's great at it--too bad she has stage fright! After a grimmiserable audition, Red decides to focus on helping her friends Cinda, Snow, and Rapunzel save Grimm Academy from the E.V.I.L. Society. But when Red gets lost in Neverwood forest and runs into Wolfgang, who might be part of E.V.I.L., she needs her magic basket and a grimmazingly dramatic performance to figure out what's going on!"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Joan Holub is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,700,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible