I See You Made an Effort: Compliments,…

I See You Made an Effort: Compliments, Indignities, and Survival Stories…

by Annabelle Gurwitch

2014 (2) 2015 (3) actors (1) actress (1) aging (5) audio (3) bio (1) California (1) city (1) death and dying (1) ebook (1) essays (4) health issues (1) humor (13) ibooks-iphone-5 (2) Kindle (2) March (1) mature (1) memoir (5) menopause (1) motherhood (1) New York Times (1) non-fiction (9) occult (1) personal (1) read (3) read in 2014 (3) sample (1) to-read (12) women (3)

Light, easy and entertaining. In the genre of Sandra Tsing Loh and Nora Ephron, et al. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
Often funny, sometimes poignant, look at aging, midlife and everything you imagine associated with the magic number 50
  katsmiao | Oct 23, 2015 |
Near the beginning of the book the author says, after whining interminably, "they may be first world problems, but they're my first world problems." That pretty much sums it up. I've created a new tag for my books, NIA for Not Intended Audience, which I certainly am not for this book. In Gurwitch's defense, she's turning 50 in Southern California. Trying to stay Southern California beautiful as you age is a near impossible task, so I kind of understand her angst, I just don't care. Barbara Ehrenreich loved it, so what do I know. ( )
1 vote Citizenjoyce | Sep 14, 2015 |

Actress and humorist Annabelle Gurwitch returns with I See You Made an Effort, a book of essays so wickedly funny it may make you forget your last birthday. Not one to shy away from the grisly realities of middle age, the “slyly subversive” (O, The Oprah Magazine) Gurwitch confronts the various indignities faced by femmes d’un certain age with candor, wit, and a healthy dose of hilarious self-deprecation.

Whether falling in lust at the Genius bar, navigating the extensive—and treacherously expensive—anti aging offerings at a department-store beauty counter, coping with the assisted suicide of her best friend, negotiating the ins and outs of acceptable behavior with her teenage kid, or the thudding financial reality of the “never-tirement” generation that leads her to petty theft, Gurwitch’s essays prove her a remarkably astute writer in her prime (in so many ways). Is this the beginning of the Eileen Fisher years? Where does one conduct an affair with a younger man? Is 50 the new 40? Or is 50 still just…50?

Scorchingly honest, surreally and riotously funny, I See You Made an Effort is the ultimate coming-of-middle-age story and a must-read for women of all ages. Reading glasses not included.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:05 -0400)

"A collection of humorous essays about aging by actress and comedian Annabelle Gurwitch"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,094,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible