Seventh Grave and No Body by Darynda Jones

Seventh Grave and No Body

by Darynda Jones

I loved this newest installment in this series! I think the addition of Beep is super cute. There was as many twists and turns as I would come to expect in a Charley Davidson novel and I found Reyes to be a completely charming character this time around. In the end my heart was ripped out for Charlie and I hope that their time on sacred ground is therapeutic for her and that they are able to bring justice for her family member in the next book. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Oct 4, 2017 |
If you are not already reading this series, you should get in gear and get going. This book is one wild ride for Charley, a grim reaper, who is engaged to Reyes, the son of Satan. She has just found out she is pregnant and the prophesies say that their child will raise an army and defeat Satan and that there will be peace for a thousand years. So, much to Charley's irritation, Reyes is not letting her out of his sight, especially since someone has let loose the twelve hounds of hell in order to kill her and Reyes, and their possible ally, The Dealer, a demon who escaped hell, where he was known as the warrior for the many fights he won, can not make a dent in these creatures, it's up to Charley to figure something out.

On top of this, a ghost who actually hangs out in the cemetery in order to watch her body slowly decay finds not only her body but that of others missing and asks Charley to help. She's also helping an FBI agent she's helped in the past that knows there's something different about Charlie and that she knows things somehow, asks her to look at a cold case where some camp councilors and a few kids are killed at a camp that is just opening up for the summer. When Charlie goes there, she finds more kids there than should be. This is a dumping ground for a serial killer who likely killed the others because they stumbled across what he was doing. Also, she is haunted by a dead enemy from her high school years and her uncle, a cop, is dealing with a rash of people leaving nearly identical suicide notes and then disappearing. There seems to be no connection between these people.

Charley worries about being a mother since she cannot even manage to keep a goldfish alive. She is beginning to realize how vast her powers can be. She's been told many times by Angel, her gangster ghost who works for her, and Reyes that she can literally do anything she wants. In previous books, she has discovered the ability to stop time and exist outside of it and keep a bullet from hitting someone and the ability to rip someone's heart out of their chest, which scares her. Her bright light can destroy demons, but she is capable of so much more, including getting the drop on Reyes with a few words of Latin. The bounty hunter, Garrett, has discovered from ancient texts that she came from another plane where she was to ascend to the throne as a god but chose instead to be born on earth as a grim reaper where she could do the most good. Names have power and if you know the true name of a being, you can have control over them. Charley does not know her true name, though Reyes does. He is afraid that if she knows it, she will cease to be human and become a permanent grim reaper, losing her forever.

It's a busy time for Charley and her father has disappeared, off on his own investigation of her, but she still has her partner and best friend, Cookie, who gives up coffee with her to show her support. The world has become a dangerous place for Charley with lots of beings out to kill her and an unknown future. This is one of the best books in the series. Charley is more than her usual sarcastic self without her daily gallons of coffee. She is also worried that she will not be able to keep her baby alive or raise her if she does. This is a unique series that is both humorous and action packed, as well as being filled with a very sexy Reyes who you would never turn away from your door.

Quotes
I often question my sanity. Occasionally, it replies.
--Darynda Jones (Seventh Grave and No Body p1)
We are all searching for someone whose demons play well with ours.
--Darynda Jones (Seventh Grave and No Body p 23)

I’m diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
--Darynda Jones (Seventh Grave and No Body p 33)

I don’t think I get enough credit for the fact that I do all of this unmedicated.
--Darynda Jones (Seventh Grave and No Body p 51)

Of course I’m an organ donor. Who wouldn’t want a piece of this?
--Darynda Jones (Seventh Grave and No Body p 73)

My life is just like a soap opera filmed in a psychiatric ward.
--Darynda Jones (Seventh Grave and No Body p 92)

I don’t want you to forget this moment. In about a week, I’ll come up with a scathing retort.
--Darynda Jones (Seventh Grave and No Body)

If I’m upset, hold me and tell me how beautiful I am. If I growl, retreat to a safe distance and throw chocolate.
--Darynda Jones (Seventh Grave and No Body p 213) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Jul 19, 2017 |
Another awesome Charlie and her friends' adventure. lol. Incredible story line, character development and everything that makes a book as awesome as this one. Can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  msralways | Apr 20, 2017 |
This is the 7th book in the Charley Davidson series; the 11th book in the series was released in Jan 2017. This was a great continuation of this series! I love how we are learning more and more about the Twelve, the story just keeps getting more interesting.

I listened to this on audiobook and these audiobooks are incredibly well done. I would highly recommend this whole series on audiobook if you enjoy audiobooks.

There is a ton action and things are getting more and more intriguing. Each book has a number of different story elements that come together to form a cohesive whole. This book was focused more on Charley and the Twelve than on individual investigation of ghosts...and to be honest I liked this format even more than previous books.

Charley's powers continue to expand in new and interesting ways; she does a lot of new things with her power and learns a lot about herself in this book. She is just as goofy and silly as ever but in general this book had a more serious tone to it than previous books in the series.

Of course Reyes, Cookie, and all our other favorites are in the story as well. There are some interesting developments with Cookie’s daughter, Amber. I am also enjoyed that the deva Osh is in the story a lot more as well.

Things tie up at a good spot for the book. However, I am incredibly eager to see what happens next in the series.

Overall this was an amazing continuation of this urban fantasy series. I love the new characters being introduced and am really enjoying seeing Charley discover her new and interesting powers. I would definitely recommend this series to those who enjoy lighter urban fantasy novels. ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 16, 2017 |
Great book! Constant chaos, constant life ending danger, and a love story to boot! ( )
  BookJunkie777 | Oct 16, 2016 |

"Twelve. Twelve of the deadliest beasts ever forged in the fires of hell have escaped onto our plane, and they want nothing more than to rip out the jugular of Charley Davidson and serve her lifeless, mangled body to Satan for dinner. So there's that. But Charley has more on her plate than a mob of testy hellhounds. For one thing, her father has disappeared, and the more she retraces his last steps, the more she learns he was conducting an investigation of his own, one that has Charley questioning everything she's ever known about him"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,447,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible