Show No Mercy by Bethany Walkers

Show No Mercy (2011)

by Bethany Walkers

621,268,033 (1)None

I love a good $.99 read, and had read some good reviews on this book. So imagine my utter disappointment when I start reading the book and it is almost exactly like a movie I watched two years ago. Which had a great cast, Joey Pants, Guy Pearce, and Carrie-anne Moss.

Momento (2002): A man, suffering from short-term memory loss, uses notes and tattoos to hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.

Yes there were subtle differences, but not enough to convince me. I felt like the characters were shotty at best, and I didn't feel connected to them at all. I had no sympathy for Adam, the man that lost the supposed, even though you barely get any interactions between the two, love of his life. He had memory loss, but the whole time you're reading you don't know why. You know who the bad guy is, but not what he does to become the villain in this story, he just is. Sure there are scenes that set him up to look like the bad guy, but I wasn't convinced.

Besides the character development, didn't even know it was set in London until halfway through the book. The flow and transitions were so choppy, that I was lost at times. There was a time when Jazz was reading letters from Sophie to Adam, and it went on, and on, and ON, without any day, or break. It literally went on for 10% of the book, just random letters in italics.

The only small bright side of the book, was at the ruse at the beginning of Adam and Sophie's relationship. It felt if she would have kept with that, the book would have been okay, because it was funny and witty.

Overall, I really didn't like this book. Maybe if I hadn't watched a movie that was exactly like the plot in this book, I would have thought it interesting... BUT with the formatting of the book, the underdeveloped characters and relationships, the insta-love, the writing, the choppy scenes, it may have gotten a 2 star review. I would say you may like it.. but you could always watch the movie instead, you'd get more out of it.

asgwilli | Mar 22, 2014 |

First published in 2011 as a Lulu e-book by Anfal Khaliq, who was only twelve at the time, the book is based on the Bollywood film 'Ghajini'.  The borrowings from Colleen Hoover's books must have been added later as they hadn't yet been published.

At least some of the letters mentioned by one of the reviewers were written (as samples!) by an elderly Mormon academic and stolen, word for word, from his website.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,736,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible