A Table by the Window: A Novel of Family…

A Table by the Window: A Novel of Family Secrets and Heirloom Recipes (Two…

by Hillary Manton Lodge

I got tired of waiting for this novel from the St. Louis Public Library, so I read Book 2 in the “Two Blue Doors” trilogy, Reservations for Two a while back. I had a love/hate relationship with that one. I posted reviews for it, so you can go peek at my thought, if you so desire.

Still I was interested in reading Book 1 so I could get the backstory. Basically it’s the story of Juliette and Neil’s long-distance romance. All the other plot points from Book 2 are here: The passing of Juliette’s beloved grandmother, her mother’s cancer diagnosis, the introduction of Juliette’s family members, and the restaurant world/food writing world that Juliette loves.

It becomes clear the how and why of Juliette learning that the man she called Grandfather may not be her biological ancestor. Still, I think I’m going to have to wait for Book 3 (Coming May 2016, according to the end of Book 2) to have this issue resolved.

I’m glad I read Book 2 first. Maybe because A Table by the Window didn’t pull me in as much. However, I was familiar with the characters, the plot, and the writing style so that may have had something to do with it.

I give A Table by the Window 3 out of 5 stars. ( )
  juliecracchiolo | Jun 6, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book but it was very slow. Slow can be good, and it had the first few pages for the second book in the series, Reservations For Two, which I have and will read soon! ( )
  mchwest | Aug 29, 2016 |
I never thought I would like a series like this one. It was new to me and I did enjoy it. You get something that no other book does or often. You get recipes at the end of each chapter. I want to finish out this series when the books come out. I hope it soon. If you like recipes this book may be for you. None the less I hope you can decide for yourself. I hope you enjoy reading it. I hope you have a good experience with it but if not it okay. I really had a hard time putting it down. My other this is I had a little bit of a hard time reading it. It had nothing to do with the author or her writing. It had something to do with me myself and understanding the concept. ( )
  Lindz2012 | Feb 22, 2016 |
  Lindz2012 | Jan 19, 2016 |
I loved this book and stayed up late last night to finish it. The author gives us a feel of what it's like to be in the restaurant business when most of us are on the other side. We also see a good result of internet dating, even if the guy is far away. I'm looking forward to the next book. ( )
  eliorajoy | Jul 21, 2015 |

Heirloom recipes, family secrets…and a chance for love

The youngest heir to a French-Italian restaurant dynasty, food writer Juliette D’Alisa has spent her life negotiating her skill with words and her restaurant aspirations. When her brother Nico offers her a chance to open a restaurant together, she feels torn—does she really have what it takes? Should she risk leaving her journalism career?

After the death of her grandmother, Juliette discovers an antique photograph of a man who looks strikingly like her brother. As the truth behind the picture reveals romance and dark secrets, Juliette struggles to keep the mystery away from her nosy family until she can uncover the whole story.

Inspired by her grandmother’s evolving story, Juliette resolves to explore the world of online dating. To her surprise, she finds a kindred spirit in Neil McLaren, a handsome immunologist based in Memphis, Tennessee. With a long-distance relationship simmering, Juliette faces life-shifting decisions. How can she possibly choose between a promising culinary life and Neil, a man a world away in more ways than one? And is it possible her Grandmother’s story can help show the way?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:16 -0400)

"In the vein of strong, romantic women's fiction with light-hearted elements like novelists Kristin Billerback, Becky Wade, and Adriana Trigiani, A Table by the Window promises family secrets, good food, and a chance at love"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible