The Whole Cat And Caboodle by Sofie Ryan

The Whole Cat And Caboodle (2014)

by Sofie Ryan

My mom got this book for free from a lady who'd brought a bunch of them to the library's exchange area. She also got the second book in this series and I can't wait to read it.

I liked the idea of a second chance shop where items are repurposed. I wish more of the story had been set there or involved items in the shop. Elvis (the cat) is a hoot. I enjoyed the feeling of family that developed between the characters. I'm glad Sarah and Michelle resolved their friendship difficulties. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jun 14, 2017 |
This is a cute cozy mystery. The main character returns home after losing her job, to find a new start. One of her grandmother's friends ends up in the middle of a murder. She spends her time trying to keep the rest in her grandmother's clique out of trouble while they try to find the real murderer. I listened to the audiobook and really enjoyed it. ( )
  Diana_Long_Thomas | Jan 31, 2017 |
In Ryan’s mystery novel, Sarah Grayson owns the Second Chance shop in North Harbor, Maine. There she sells used items that she has refurbished. To top it off, she has an adopted cat named Elvis. Elvis adopted Sarah as well and is her constant furry companion.

But when one day Sarah’s elderly friend Maddie is found with the body of a dead man in her garden, her friend becomes the prime suspect in the murder. Everybody in town seems to think Maddie is guilty so it’s up to Sarah and Elvis to clear her good name before the real murder comes knocking again.

The A Second Chance Cat Mystery series is a sure winner! ( )
  debbieaheaton | May 4, 2016 |
3.5 *** ( )
  EmilyD1037 | Jan 19, 2016 |
I enjoyed this opening story of a new mystery series, A Second Chance Cat Mystery, by Sofie Ryan, one of the pseudonym names of author Darlene Ryan. Some fans may recognize her name as Sofie Kelly, author of The Magical Cats Mystery series. This was my first read of any of this author's books and it was a fun, cozy mystery from cover-to-cover. I definitely am in love with Elvis, the big black cat with a scar across his nose from the description of how he rides in Sarah's truck to his purrs. Charlotte, Liz, Rose and Maddie are friends of Sarah's grandmother and thus of Sarah and remind me of the three wonderful fairy godmothers to Cinderella but in this case there are four. Each brings a special quality to Sarah's life interactions and hopefully will continue to play active roles in each mystery in the series.

The only thing that surprised me was why the reader was seemingly introduced to Mac in two (2) different locations in the novel. Mac, "the store's resident jack-of-all-trades" is first introduced in Chapter 1 and the reader is advised that Mac had "been a high-powered life to financial planner but had ditched his high-powered life to come to Maine and sail. In his free time he crewed for pretty much anyone who asked. There were right windjammer schooners based in North Harbor, along with dozens of other sailing vessels. Mac was looking for space where he could build his own boat. He worked for me (Sarah Grayson, owner of the Second Chance shop) because he said he liked fixing things."

Then in Chapter 8, Sarah thanks Mac for joining Sarah and some others at supper and the author again shares "When Mac wasn't working he was generally crewing for someone or hanging around the boatyard, learning everything he could about wooden boats so he could eventually build his own."

I can understand reminding the reader in another title in the series, but I didn't forget Mac's intro between Chapter 1 and Chapter 8. It almost made me feel like the author forgot about the earlier intro or edited the chapters on different days and other 'first readers' did not share or inquire as to the dynamics of the repeat.

I definitely think there seems to be some chemistry between characters Sarah and Mac and hopefully that will be further explored in a future novel in the series. ;)

There are a few minor copy edits in the book that will hopefully be addressed in any upcoming printed editions.
An Obsidian Mystery - Published by the Penguin Group. First Printing, April 2014.
Chapter 15, p.217 - "He kissed me on the cheek and wish me well."
Perhaps it was meant to say, "He kissed me on the cheek and wished me well."
Chapter 15, p. 218 - "I hope things work out for you friend," she said.
Perhaps it was meant to say, "I hope things work out for your friend," she said.

Corduroy7 | Nov 18, 2014 |
For Patrick
Elvis was sitting in the middle of my desk when I opened the door to my office.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451419944, Mass Market Paperback)

FIRST IN A NEW SERIES

Elvis has seen nine lives—and then some. The big black cat with a scar across his nose turned up at a local bar when the band was playing the King of Rock and Roll’s music and hopped in Sarah’s truck. Since then, he’s been her constant companion and the furry favorite of everyone who comes into the store.

But when Sarah’s elderly friend Maddie is found with the body of a dead man in her garden, the kindly old lady becomes the prime suspect in the murder. Even Sarah’s old high school flame, investigator Nick Elliot, seems convinced that Maddie was up to no good. So it’s up to Sarah and Elvis to clear her friend’s name and make sure the real murderer doesn’t get a second chance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:21 -0400)

Sarah Grayson is the happy proprietor of Second Chance, a charming shop in the oceanfront town of North Harbor, Maine. At the shop, she sells used items that she has lovingly refurbished and repurposed. But her favorite pet project so far has been adopting a stray cat she names Elvis. The big black cat with a scar across his nose turned up at a local bar when the band was playing the King of Rock and Roll's music and hopped in Sarah's truck. When Sarah's elderly friend Maddie is found with the body of a dead man in her garden, the kindly old lady becomes the prime suspect in the murder. Even Sarah's old high school flame, investigator Nick Elliot, seems convinced that Maddie was up to no good. It's up to Sarah and Elvis to clear her friend's name and make sure the real murderer doesn't get a second chance.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible