The Fall of the Governor: Part Two by Robert…

The Fall of the Governor: Part Two

by Robert Kirkman, Jay Bonansinga (Author)

So, this is the final book in the series about the Governor character from The Walking Dead. What started as a truly interesting series that added more depth to the Governor's story slowly turned into a simple retelling of the events in the comics. While occasionally comic book retellings can be rather good, this was essentially just more of the same.

I never really want to read the description of an overall wearing walker again.

The book wasn't as bad as Part One of [b: The Fall of the Governor|17286685|The Fall of the Governor Part One (The Walking Dead #3)|Robert Kirkman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388194692s/17286685.jpg|24243586] and it did a decent job of making Austin a rather lovable character and fully fleshing out the way that Woodbury functioned. I just wish that more effort had been put into fleshing out the Governor in general, as they did in the first book. I wanted to more fully understand his motivations, or at least how people rallied to him and agreed that events like storming the prison were a good idea. Lilly flip-flopped too much for my liking and I felt rather strongly the lack of foreshadowing as to her eventual fate.

This series could have been a lot more, and perhaps if the books weren't quite so rushed it will be just that. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Woodbury stands on the brink of disaster. The Governor – the cruel, ruthless, organised, skilled leader of their community has been horrendously injured by strangers to the town – strangers who have escaped and may come back. As the town fears their return, they also wait desperately for the Governor to wake up, even as the town’s functions begin to fray without his command.

It’s up to Lilly to step into the void. And, when the time comes, do whatever she must – whatever the Governor tells her – to keep them all safe from any threat.

We have had mixed experiences with this series – the problem is they are taking a story that has already been told in The Walking Dead comics and then telling them from a different angle. In the last book, that didn’t work out – we ended up with the same story regurgitated and it felt like rather a waste of time and money.

Thankfully this book is a little different. This book did bring something new to the storyline – it helped explained why. On some level we always know why people follow the brutal dictators like the Governor in dystopias – because he represents safety, because he represents stability, because it’s amazing what you can turn a blind eye to when your life depends upon it, because he’s charismatic and good at twisting the facts and selling lies, because in a dystopian world sometimes you need a monster on your side. We know all this from the many dystopians we’ve read, beyond The Walking Dead, but having a story told from Lily’s point of view, from the point of view of one of those who did follow the dictator, who believed the lies, who ignored the brutality, adds texture and a viewpoint we rarely see in the genre. Sure, we know these things – or can extrapolate them – but how often do we see them step in as protagonist? How often do we see the decisions they have to make, the thought processes – how often do we expect to be in their shoes?

And that’s what we get with Lilly; we get the fight of a pregnant woman in a dystopian world who knows she needs a safe, secure place if she’s going to have any chance to keep her baby safe. We have a woman who doesn’t just like the secure town of Woodbury and the cruel, sadistic Governor who leads it, but beyond a doubt needs both of them. She can’t afford not to trust the Governor. She cannot afford a moral high ground until she has no choice but to face the extremes of the man and his whole edifice of lies.

We also see that in Woodbury itself, the number of people who the Governor – in his twisted way – truly does care for and protect. A protection that actually starts to fall apart when the Governor and his overwhelming personality are not focused on the town – which shows they’re not wrong. They do need him.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Apr 24, 2014 |
My full Fall of the Governor Part 2 - The Walking Dead audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

OK, so the has been a bunch of controversy surrounding the last two books of this four book trilogy, I understand that many are angry, hurt, feeling betrayed and the like. But that does not take away from the brilliance of Kirkman and Bonansinga, being able to keep everything far more gruesome than the TV show and yet somehow more satisfying. Fall of the Governor Part 2 picks up immediately where Part One leaves off, almost as if there wasn't a call for the separation of books. A majority of the first half is about the Governor picking himself up and putting himself back together and recovering from the brutally horrific assault that Michonne gave him. While he fights his own internal battle we are gifted with more character coming to light and becoming a large part of the overall story. Bob the drunk actually becomes, against all odds, the Governer's savior. Lilly has struggles of her own to overcome. What I was most surprised about was how different the siege of the prison was compared to the TV show, I only wish the show followed this storyline more. I like how this set of books leaves Rick and the gang out of the picture for the most part. However, if we follow that we know how the battle ends, for the most part, as there are many survivors left to continue on and hopefully Kirkman and Bonansinga will see the need to continue building on and within this superbly planned out universe.

Audiobook purchased by me. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Mar 18, 2014 |

Robert Kirkmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bonansinga, JayAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

"The fourth book and epic finale to Robert Kirkman's New York Times bestselling series: The Walking Dead: The Fall of the Governor - Part Two! The Walking Dead original novel series, set in the universe of Robert Kirkman's iconic comic book, comes to a shattering conclusion with The Fall of the Governor - Part Two. From co-authors Kirkman, creator of the Eisner Award-winning comic as well as executive producer of AMC's blockbuster TV series, and Jay Bonansinga, Stoker Award-finalist and internationally acclaimed author, comes this stunning finale to their ambitious chronicle of human survival amid the plague of undead, which began with The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor. In Rise of the Governor, uber-villain Philip Blake journeyed from his humble beginnings directly into the dark heart of the zombie apocalypse, and became the self-proclaimed leader of a small town called Woodbury. In The Road to Woodbury, an innocent traveler named Lilly Caul wound up in the terrifying thrall of Phillip Blake's twisted, violent dictatorship within Woodbury's ever tightening barricades. In The Fall of the Governor - Part One, Philip Blake finally revealed himself to be the true monster that he is, and the battle lines were drawn between the Governor and the desperate, beleaguered inhabitants of a nearby prison. Now, in The Fall of the Governor Part Two, the Governor's dark journey reaches its shocking, heartrending conclusion. In a roller coaster finale, war breaks out, all of the plot lines from the previous three novels converge, tensions boil over into unthinkable mayhem, and the dark destinies of those few left standing are sealed in a series of stunning twists"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,368,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible