Vertigo 42: A Richard Jury Mystery by Martha…

Vertigo 42: A Richard Jury Mystery (edition 2014)

by Martha Grimes (Author)

Member:rlsalvati
Title:Vertigo 42: A Richard Jury Mystery
Authors:Martha Grimes (Author)
Info:Scribner (2014), Edition: First Edition, 336 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Tags:unowned

Vertigo 42 by Martha Grimes

I have been a Richard Jury fan for years and had just about given up on Martha Grimes ever writing another Jury novel. I was thrilled to learn about Vertigo 42 and snapped it up quickly. All the elements I've enjoyed in Grimes' series are here, from Jury's laid back but ever-so-serious policing style, to the antics of Melrose Plant and his Jack-in-the-Hammer friends. The story was well-plotted and kept me in suspense, and I was very happy to see some old friends like Ash and White Ellie make cameo appearances. My only issue was that the ending that came far too fast - I wanted the story to continue! ( )
  patriciau | Dec 27, 2018 |
One suspicious death 22 years ago, another 17 years ago, and two murders five days apart. And then there's the dog. But Wiggins and Jury would never have solved the mess if it weren't for Alfred Hitchcock. The publisher's blurb gives clues but can't help untangle the mess. Be prepared for awful puns. ( )
  jetangen4571 | May 17, 2018 |
My first sojourn into Martha Grimes and detective Richard Jury. A completely satisfying experience with well-written prose. Richard takes on a closed case - Tom Williamson is not convinced that the love of his life died by accident 17 years ago. 5 years before Tess Williamson's death, a little girl, Hilda died on their property. Was Tess's death revenge? Was it accidental? At the same time, Richard's friends that gather at the Jack and Hammer pub are attempting to solve 2 local murders - why is their sleepy neighborhood suddenly experiencing an uptake in crime?

Definitely on my list to read other Richard Jury tales. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Jun 12, 2017 |
A sad and boring chapter in an otherwise very enjoyable series of novels. In this latest installment of the series, the reader is given a boring murder mystery along with a re-hash of the recurring characters of the series. Grimes simply reuses material from prior installments to describe the characters, without mentioning anything new about any of the regular characters. The book would probably be less than two dozen pages if one removed everything she re-uses from her prior novels in the series. While it isn't plagiarism to recycle material from ones own work, it is a ripoff of ones fans to sell such a story without a warning that its a badly done recap of the series. If you have read the prior stories in the series, this book reads more like bad fan-fiction than a book written by the Grimes herself.

The result of the recycling in this case is a bit like a bog roll made from recycled plastic and glass bottles.

I gave the book 2 stars instead of 1, because a new reader to the series might not find the story as boring as her regular fans will. If you are a fan and don't want to skip this installment, no matter how bad it is, then at least wait to buy a used copy cheaply rather than wasting good money on a bad book. If you have not read the prior works in the Richard Jury series, read the others instead of this one. ( )
  gtippitt | Feb 18, 2017 |
I love the Jury books. I have read them all over the years. The first on my first trip to England. I enjoy the characters and the comfort of meeting them once again in each book. I thought this book was well done and I enjoyed it very much. ( )
1 vote librarian1204 | Sep 15, 2014 |
Longtime fans will find this tale fully worthy of Jury and his regulars.
added by petermccarthy2 | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 17, 2014)

The plot lines eventually connect to a complex conundrum involving friendship, love, and betrayal. Readers who persevere past Jury’s confusing initial stay at the madcap Plant manse will be rewarded with an involving puzzle—right up to the frustratingly farfetched finale.
added by petermccarthy2 | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 14, 2014)

Martha Grimesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Serrano, ErvinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To that incomparable couple of attorneys,
Alice and Andrew Vachss
"women and children first!"
It was far too high to see Old Broad Street down below, but the windows that traveled all the way around the lozenge-shaped room gave as great a view of London as he’d ever seen.

"At Vertigo 42, a bar high above London's financial district, Richard Jury meets Tom Williamson - a friend of a friend who is convinced his wife, Tess, was murdered 17 years ago. Tess's death was ruled accidental - a fall caused by vertigo - but Jury agrees to re-examine the case. A young girl's fatal fall at a children's party 22 years ago at Tom and Tess's home may be connected. After an elegantly dressed woman falls from a tower near a pub that Jury and his cronies frequent, and her estranged husband is later found dead, Jury begins to suspect that the now grown "children" from Tess's ill-fated party are the key to solving these interwoven mysteries"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,426,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible