Highway to Hell by Matt Roper

Highway to Hell

by Matt Roper

222,551,640 (5)None
Recently added bynlaclaire, Tea58

In Highway to Hell: The Road Where Childhoods Are Stolen, freelance journalist Matt Roper tells of the horrific child prostitution problem in Brazil, specifically along the 1,500-mile BR-116 corridor. The stories of numerous young girls – some as young as nine years old – who tragically sell their bodies to provide for their families are truly grotesque, but what is worse is that the stories told by Roper represent only a small fraction of the thousands of girls who are being exploited sexually in Brazil.

Highway to Hell tells of parents and grandparents who encourage or even force their daughters to stand by the roadside to sell themselves to long-haul truckers in order to provide for their families, of entire communities that depend on the income from child prostitution, of a government that tries to sweep the problem under the carpet, of girls who are so steeped in this culture that they don’t even recognize it as wrong, of pimps and brothels who exploit these girls (in some cases holding them hostage), and of the men who purchase these girls’ services. Praise the Lord, it also tells of the few but very important men and women who are working diligently to save these girls.

This book was eye-opening. I had never imagined that the child prostitution problem was so bad in Brazil, and while I know people whose parents did terrible things to them as children, I never could have imagined a parent or grandparent doing some of the things in this book.

I cried numerous times while reading Highway to Hell and I challenge you not to. There is a strand of hope running throughout the book, though: people such as Matt, Dean, Rita, Abigail, Fabio, and others who God is using to make a difference. You’ll cry about that as well. :-)

I promise you that you will not enjoy this book. You will, however, be changed and that is a very good thing.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Kregel Publications as part of a blog tour. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." ( )
  nlaclaire | Mar 13, 2014 |
When I think of Brazil, I think of beautiful beaches. Of course, there are beautiful beaches in Brazil. However, along a highway tourists don't travel, there is only ugliness. The hwy is Br-116. Along this highway are young girls from the ages of nine to about eighteen. There are also older women who act as pimps leading these girls into a life of sex, brutality and drugs. In Highway to Hell by Matt Roper, there are the personal stories of young girls who listened to their mothers and grandmothers or to friends. People who made the girls think the only way out of poverty is prostitution with truckers and other older men. Before their time these girls end up looking old, sick and depraved.

The book is not easy to read. Their stories are very painful. It's hard to accept that girls have lost their childhood to sex and drugs. There were times I had to stop reading the book. Other times I read the book faster and faster hoping to end the story of such lives quickly. It was a great relief to learn there are people like Matt Roper and Dean who are out to save little girls and not to destroy their lives. These two guys with the help of others built the Pink House. It is the beginning of a new life for these young girls. They are taught that dreams in life are made for them too. One girl's dream was to do "drawing and coloring in." In the Pink House, the room are pink with long mirrors and girls are taught Dance.

I am happy to say this kind of work continues to grow. More people are helping and collecting more girls from that ugly cycle of life they should have never experienced in the first place. store.kregel.com ( )
  Tea58 | Mar 7, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,932,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible