Daughters of the Dragon: A Comfort…

Daughters of the Dragon: A Comfort Woman's Story (edition 2014)

by William Andrews (Author)

Member:onenita
Title:Daughters of the Dragon: A Comfort Woman's Story
Authors:William Andrews (Author)
Info:MADhouse Press LLC (2014), 354 pages

Daughters of the Dragon by William Andrews

This is a wonderful book. I recommend it to anyone who isn't going to be triggered or upset by a story containing violence against women. ( )
  LittleMummyMe | Apr 3, 2018 |
I loved this historical fiction tale about the Korean comfort women of WWII. It was heartbreaking, but I learned a lot. The characters were ones I cared about, and so I would recommend this for anyone interested in a tale about a strong woman. That said, be warned - it is not easy to read about rape and abuse, which did take place, and continues to take place in conflict zones. So if they are triggers, you might not want to read this book. ( )
  ptkpepe98 | Mar 19, 2018 |
When American Anna Carlson travels to a Korean orphanage to find out about her birth mother, she is devestated to find out that she has died. When the search seems to have ended, an older woman hands her a parcel. In it is a two-headed dragon with five toes. Thus, begins the story of Anna's heritage and her grandmother's past as a comfort woman in occupied Korea. ( )
  creighley | Jul 18, 2017 |
From the opening pages, this book kept me turning pages at a furious rate. I had been aware of the fact that Japan had invaded Korea in the 2nd world war, but I had no idea of the horrible things that happened to it's citizens. The story of a young girl and her sister, throughout their lives, was pretty amazing. The writer brings these characters to life.

This book made me want to do further research in the plight that these "Comfort Women" have taken on.

A lovingly told story of a not so lovely time in history. ( )
  hey-mom | Apr 4, 2017 |
A special thank you to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't know anything about 'comfort women'; the women and girls that were forced into sexual slavery by the Imperial Japanese Army before and during WWII. The name is a euphemism for prostitute(s). Women were either abducted from their homes in countries that were under Japanese rule, or lured with promises of work in factories — our character, Ja-hee and her sister were told they were going to work at a boot factory. I was completely immersed in the flashbacks, but not vested in Anna. As a main character, I felt that she was underdeveloped and flat.

This was an ambitious topic, not only is Andrews writing historical fiction, about another culture, but also as a female. For the most part, I would say he pulls it off. The difference in the rating for me between a four and a five star review is that the narration was made up of short choppy sentences and this abrupt writing style between the passages of dialogue was distracting for me as a reader and the story then became a bit forced. ( )
  GirlWellRead | Feb 25, 2017 |

DURING WORLD WAR II, the Japanese forced 200,000 young Korean women to be sex slaves or “comfort women” for their soldiers. This is one woman’s riveting story of strength, courage and promises kept. In 1943, the Japanese tear young Ja-hee and her sister from their peaceful family farm to be comfort women for the Imperial Army. Before they leave home, their mother gives them a magnificent antique comb with an ivory inlay of a two-headed dragon, saying it will protect them. The sisters suffer terribly at the hands of the Japanese, and by the end of the war, Ja-hee must flee while her sister lies dying. Ja-hee keeps her time as a comfort woman a secret while she struggles to rebuild her life. She meets a man in North Korea who shows her what true love is. But the communists take him away in the middle of the night, and she escapes to the South. There, she finally finds success as the country rebuilds after the Korean War. However when her terrible secret is revealed, she’s thrown into poverty. In the depths of despair, she’s tempted to sell the comb with the two-headed dragon that she believes has no magic for her. Then one day she discovers its true meaning and her surprising heredity. And now she must find the only person who can carry on the legacy of the two-headed dragon… someone she abandoned years ago. Set within the tumultuous backdrop of 20th century Korea, Daughters of the Dragon by award-winning author William Andrews will make you cry and cheer for Ja-hee. And in the end, you’ll have a better understanding of the Land of the Morning Calm. Daughters of the Dragon is inspired by The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini, Memiors of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, the books of Amy Tan and Lisa See.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:45 -0400)

During World War II the Japanese forced 200,000 young Korean women to be sex slaves or "comfort women" for their soldiers. This is one woman's riveting story of strength, courage and promises kept.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,631,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible