The Baron's Honourable Daughter: A Novel by…

The Baron's Honourable Daughter: A Novel

by Lynn Morris

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Once you get past the excruciatingly described clothing and furnishings, a decent romance. ( )
  yonitdm | Dec 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Baron's Honourable Daughter written by Lynn Morris was a very good read. I really liked that the story so closely followed the times and customs of the era in which Valeria (the Baron's daughter) lived. The story shared the attitudes and behaviors that were so real for women in the 1800's. Although Valeria was a women she was the only person who was capable of caring for her brother's estate after her step father died. Her mother was grieving and ill and her brother was not old enough to make such difficult decisions. Valeria was stubborn and independant yet young and unready to take on the tasks thrust upon her which forced her to grow up and learn some life lessons the hard way. As with most young people Valeria learned that all chioces have consequences some which can also affect our loved ones. Valeria learned to lean on the one true friend that would never leave her nor forsake her, Jesus. She learned that when she put her life in His hands healing and joy can happen. The author used many new words that were from the era of the story which I feel enriched my vocabulary and allowed me to learn more indepth about their culture. excellant book. ( )
  mookiekat | Nov 11, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've not read anything from this author, before, although I've ready many Regency romance-type books. Some were good, some were awful, but this book is in the first category.

Valeria is the step-daughter of an inattentive man. When he dies suddenly, her mother is unable to cope, and Valeria has to take charge of the affairs of the household, despite being only eighteen. A distant cousin of her step-father arrives to assist in any way he can, and sparks of dislike and attraction fly.

I wasn't sure if I would like this story, as I'm rather choosy when it comes to Regency, preferring Marion Chesney's works to those of most other authors. However, after I "got into" this book, I found myself enjoying it. The author gives enough information about the times, the settings, the furniture, etc. but without overdoing it: she appears to understand the period very well but doesn't overwhelm the reader with her knowledge. The characters were fairly well developed, and I found myself appreciating them for their individual characteristics.

Definitely worth a read, and possibly a reread. ( )
  fuzzi | Sep 30, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There were portions of this historical fiction novel that I truly enjoyed. I found both the descriptions of the roles of servants and the nobility interesting, and, oddly enough, the descriptions of the clothing. I found the first half of the book very good, but once the action shifted to London, I lost a lot of interest and frankly at points in the novel quit caring about Valeria at all. Once off to London, I felt that she developed into a shallow, society-conscious young woman. I also regretted the story lines about some of the servants that were just dropped. The ending was so rapid, it almost left me feeling quite disturbed. The beginning was so promising that I think this could have been developed into a longer, more detailed book that would have been more interesting. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Aug 22, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won’t say “The Baron’s Honourable Daughter” is great fiction, but it was a nice little getaway book. It’s one of the few novels I’ve read lately that take place in the regency-era that actually stuck to the rules and history fairly well. The heroine’s mindset is a bit advanced for her time, but you could hardly do otherwise in this day and age and still find an audience. It was very predictable, but fun and interesting nonetheless. It’s a nice little Austen-esque story for a long summer day. ( )
  Nextian | Aug 12, 2014 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lynn Morris's book The Baron's Honourable Daughter was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,019,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible