One More Last Chance: A Novel (A Place to…

One More Last Chance: A Novel (A Place to Call Home)

by Cathleen Armstrong

$6.40
  caroljels | Aug 27, 2016 |
I really liked Cathleen Armstrong’s novel, Welcome to Last Chance. But I think I liked this book even more. She introduces three new characters to the already strong cast found in book 1. And while this book may be contemporary romance, the small town feel and the themes of change and fitting in make this more than a simple love story.

Chris Reed is the new owner of the Dip n Dine in Last Chance, New Mexico. He has great hopes for adding creative new dishes to the diner’s menu, but there’s strong opposition from the cook, Carlos, and some of his clientele who think any change is bad. Sarah Cooley has come back to Last Chance to teach second grade and she likes things just the way they have always been. But nothing ever stays the same as the two find out. With the arrival of Olivia, Chris’s seven year old niece, Chris and Sarah are thrown more and more together. Can they stay just friends.

Characters are a strong element of One More Last Chance. I loved the ensemble cast that make their way from the first book, including wise Elizabeth, opinionated Juanita, and stubborn Carlos. Chris and Sarah are highly likable characters that the reader knows from the start are meant for each other. Then there is Olivia, a kid who hides her vulnerability behind a tough veneer. The main characters are believers and take their faith seriously, but are just like the rest of us as they struggle with trust, insecurity and fitting in. The faith message is natural, never preachy. Armstrong also creates a small town feel that makes the reader want to settle in.

One More Last Chance can be read as a standalone novel, but I recommend you start with book 1. You won’t want to miss anything about the people or the place Armstrong has created.

Recommended.

Audience: adults. ( )
  vintagebeckie | Sep 7, 2015 |
This was a book that once I got started, I couldn't wait to see how things were going to work out. It is a story of changes and accepting responsibility for what is right. Sarah has moved back home after completing her teaching degree and takes a special interest in one of her students. Olivia has had a hard time of it after being raised by young mother who tries, but winds up needing extra help. Olivia's uncle Chris does his best to make sure she is taken care of.
Sarah has to sort out some changes in her life and I liked seeing how she made several choices before deciding on the one that was best. I also liked seeing how the town was able to accept some changes, while still remaining a good small town.
I received this book free to review. ( )
  polarmath | May 23, 2014 |
ONE MORE LAST CHANCE by Cathleen Armstrong is an interesting Christian Contemporary Romance set in Last Chance, New Mexico. #2 in "A Place to Call Home" series, but can be read as a stand alone. See, "Welcome to Last Chance".

This is Chris Reed and Sarah Cooley's story. Small town life in a big time way. Filled with energy, forgiveness, healing, grace and the power of love. Put on a pair of worn-out jeans, and set back and enjoy your time with the engaging characters of Last Chance. A heartwarming, romantic tale of two people in small town, USA.

Enigmatic and charming characters await you at Last Chance. While, some things never change others change forever. Well written. From the first page to the last you will enjoy "One More Last Chance". A wonderful tale of love and second chances. Received for an honest review from the publisher.r

*Coming in May from Revell Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group*

RATING: 4

HEAT RATING: SWEET

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | May 20, 2014 |
Oh how wonderful to be reunited with loved ones, that is exactly how I felt when I picked up Cathleen Armstrong’s new book One More Last Chance. This is a story of a returning college graduate, and Granddaughter of Elizabeth, Sarah Cooley. She wants to return to Last Chance, the place she grew up in and begin her teaching career.
A new comer, Chris Reed, now owns the Dip ‘n’ Dine, and we enjoy again the antics of Juanita and the famous cook Carlos. You will enjoy the banter between these folks; they are always threatening to quit. While Chris is trying to put his stamp on his new place, Carlos gives him a lot of opposition. With the need to bring in more customers to keep the place out of the red, you will love what happens and how things pull together.
Chris also is very concerned about his niece Olivia, his sister Kaitlyn is struggling as a parent, and I was aghast that she left a seven-year-old alone, wait until you find out how she solves the problem, after Chris finds out. Olivia does come for a visit, or stay, and she will worm her way into your heart really fast. She is a tough little cookie for a little girl, and has won her share of fights.
This is a place where almost everyone is there for each other. Loved how they all rally around when there is a need. We also find a bit of romance in the air for Sarah with her long time boyfriend Brandon. He has settled in Chicago, and although Sarah has found him very controlling in the past, has given him another chance to resume their relationship. She does not want to leave her town, and they begin a long distance romance, mostly by phone.
This is a real page-turner, and a very fast read; you just have to know what is going to happen. I really enjoyed this sweet read, and recommend you read it too. Now this is the second book in this series, you don’t need to read the first, but don’t deprive yourself, it is also great!

I received this book from the Publisher Revell, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | May 15, 2014 |

Sarah Cooley has come home to Last Chance, New Mexico, for one reason--because it doesn't change. After an engagement gone bad with a man who wanted to change everything about her, Sarah is more than ready for the town whose motto may as well be, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Chris Reed, on the other hand, wants nothing more than to spark some change in the little town. As the new owner of the Dip 'n' Dine, he's shaking things up to draw folks from all over the Southwest into his restaurant.

As it turns out, the winds of change are blowing into Last Chance--just not in the ways that Sarah or Chris might expect.

With the same evocative writing and fascinating characters that won fans for her debut novel, Cathleen Armstrong invites readers back to Last Chance for a soul-searching, romantic story of two people navigating the twists and turns of small-town life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:47 -0400)

After ending a tumultuous engagement, Sarah Cooley returns to the one place where nothing changes--or so she thinks.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,141,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible