Beautiful Oblivion: A Novel (The Maddox…

Beautiful Oblivion: A Novel (The Maddox Brothers Series)

by Jamie McGuire

Initially I had given it 4 stars because I actually enjoyed it, but when I looked at the rating I gave Beautiful Disaster I realized that I had enjoyed Beautiful Disaster far more than Beautiful Oblivion so that would be a misinterpretation of how much I actually like the book. I go through spurts where I tend to be incredibly generous in my book ratings and then realize I didn't actually "LOVE" a book and then I try to be more constructive and rate more honestly. Apparently I was feeling really generous after reading this book and quite frankly because I've been reading a lot of fast paced books that I enjoyed I've been more generous with my ratings then I should be.

Now that I'm done with my own observation of how I rate the books I read, here's a quick recap of Beautiful Oblivion:

There will be spoilers so proceed at your own risk....

Beautiful Oblivion is about Cami who is a bartender and secretly dating someone and very few people are aware of the relationship, with the exception of her co-workers. Cami is pretty happy in her relationship with TJ and even though it's pretty secretive and they rarely see each other she really loves him and is willing to make it work long distance. Although the long distance starts to take a toll on Cami when her attempts to see TJ has been cancelled twice and she hasn't seen him in three months. Then, walks in Trenton. Trenton who has been in love with Cami since they were children. Trenton, who like his brother Travis (who we meet and fall in love with in Beautiful Disaster) is gorgeous and have all the girls fawning over him, is completely smitten with Cami. Although Cami attempts to avoid Trenton at first because of her boyfriend finds that Trenton is persistent and is unable to resist his charms. Cami explains to Trenton that she has a boyfriend, and Trenton attempts to "just be friends" but you can sense that he's not interested in merely being friends and neither is Cami. After spending ample time together the two start to fall for each other and Cami knows this will end disastrously because of her secret boyfriend. Trenton finally makes a move and kiss Cami. Kiss Cami like she's neve been kissed before and she is terrified of how much that kiss meant to her.

A day later, when Tj finds out what happened between Cami and Trenton, he purchases a plane ticket for Cami to visit him in hopes of dispelling whatever had transpired between Trenton and Cami. At the airport, despite Trenton's plead to not go and to stay with him, Cami leaves anyways. However, while in California with TJ, Cami starts to realize that she's in love with Trenton and wants to be with him more than TJ. TJ finally realizes that and they both end their relationship. Cami then returns to Illinois to find Trenton giving her the cold shoulder. Trenton under the impression that Cami is still with TJ and to rid himself of his pain he starts to indulge in other women. When Cami finally confronts him and they discover that they love each other, they begin a relationship despite Cami knowing that she shouldn't because of who TJ is. The topic of TJ continues to be a sore subject and it's not until Cami and Trenton are in a car accident, does Trenton discover who TJ is. It turns out that TJ is actually Thomas, Trenton's oldest brother, and that's why Cami has been so conflicted about her relationship with Trenton. Cami chooses to be with Trenton leaving Thomas heartbroken but resigned to it.

So I definitely enjoyed Abby and Travis whirlwind love more so than Trenton and Cami's love story. I thought it was a good read but I didn't really like the whole triangle with the brothers and why Cami didn't just come clean with Trenton to begin with. She didn't have to disclose that Thomas is an FBI agent but she could explain that she was involved with him and that's why she felt like what she was doing with Trenton was wrong. It was an incredibly quick read and pretty engaging and that's why I gave it three stars.
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
I loved Beautiful Disaster, but this one just didn't work for me.

It was almost a DNF, but I pushed through to see what would happen in the end. There were parts I enjoyed... Olive for one was amazing. I liked her way more than Cami. I loved the crazy dad drama too and the last five pages of the story... I never expected that ending! When I read those final three words I felt like the story was just beginning, when in reality it was the end....

I expected to see Travis and Abby maybe once while reading this book. I never would've guessed this book took place during the same time period and that Travis would show up multiple times.... Let me say, I LOVE Travis Maddox, but this story tainted my thoughts and feelings. I don't know who in their right mind would want to see the tough, perfectly flawed Travis Maddox whining at a bar on several occasions. He was annoying in this book. Every time he came into a scene I cringed... There is a reason I didn't read Beautiful Wedding and Walking Disaster. I didn't want to ruin a good thing. This book did just that.

I was hoping to fall in love with a new Maddox, but that's hard to do when Travis is being pushed at us throughout the book. Let's be honest he is our first true love... anytime he comes into the scene he is going to be our main focus. I wanted original, but this one just felt like a generic version of Beautiful Disaster.

ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
Another awesome book from Jamie McGuire! I'm now addicted to the Maddox family and can't wait to get my hands on the rest of this series! The ending though....man I don't know how I didn't even see it coming!!! ( )
  Tabatha014 | Sep 6, 2016 |
When I downloaded the kindle app to my phone the first book I read on it was Beautiful Disaster, I fell hook line and sinker in love with Travis Maddox and my love for broken bad boys began!

Since meeting Trenton in the first book I'd been waiting to find out more about him, he'd appeared to be fiercely protective of his brothers and I liked that! Finally my waiting was over and Beautiful Oblivion appeared ready to read and was I disappointed err hell no! I still love Travis but he's sharing top spot with several other bad boys including his older brother now!

I felt for Cami and her confusion and her attempts to hurt no one but sometimes you can't fight the inevitable.

I'm not going to give anything away about the story but I'll just say that I had an inkling where I was being taken but I'm pretty sure that's because I remembered snippets from the other books!

Don't expect to be reading this long because you won't be, once you start you will just not be able to put it down and then you'll be champing at the bit for the next book :) ( )
  VictoriaJ1707 | Jul 2, 2016 |
Esta historia es aburrida, repetitiva e inconclusa. Al final no vemos ningún desarrollo en los personajes, ni ninguna respuesta acerca de la situación familiar de Camille, ni del trabajo de TJ, ni del drama automovilístico de Trenton.

Ni de NINGUNO de los problemas presentes desde el inicio.

Debo admitir que el único motivo por el que me obligué a seguir leyendo hasta el final —pasando de largo varias páginas, porque era más de lo mismo— es porque quería saber "el secreto".

Si tan sólo alguien me hubiese dicho que la respuesta estaba en la última línea de TODO el libro, me hubiera ahorrado mucho sufrimiento.

Realmente no me esperaba que ese fuera el misterio. Y me sorprendió un poco, pero igual me dejo decepcionada y pensando: ¿eso era todo, por eso desperdicie horas de mi vida leyendo esto?

Y digo todo esto como alguien a quien sí le gustó BD, así que no soy una hater de Jamie Mcguire ni nada, pero este libro es realmente MALO. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
I won't break his heart to fix you. -Emily Kinney, "Times Square"
For Liis McKinstry. Thank you for all that you do,
and for everything that you are,

And for Jessica Landers,
you are a reason to smile and a generous spirit.
His words hung there, in the darkness between our voices.
I won't break his heart to fix you.
                   -Emily Kinney, "Times Square"

A relationship develops between fiercely independent bartending college student Camille "Cami" Camlin and Big-Man-On-Campus- turned-tattoo-parlor-employee Trenton Maddox.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible