Beautiful Oblivion: A Novel (The Maddox…

Beautiful Oblivion: A Novel (The Maddox Brothers Series) (edition 2014)

by Jamie McGuire (Author)

Series: Maddox Brothers (1)

"Fiercely independent Camille "Cami" Camlin gladly moved on from her childhood before it was over. She has held down a job since before she could drive, and moved into her own apartment after her freshman year of college. Now tending bar at The Red Door, Cami doesn't have time for much else besides work and classes, until a trip to see her boyfriend is cancelled, leaving her with a first weekend off in almost a year. Trenton Maddox was the king of Eastern State University, dating co-eds before he even graduated high school. His friends wanted to be him, and women wanted to tame him, but after a tragic accident turned his world upside down, Trenton leaves campus to come to grips with the crushing guilt. Eighteen months later, Trenton is living at home with his widower father, and works full-time at a local tattoo parlor to help with the bills. Just when he thinks his life is returning to normal, he notices Cami sitting alone at a table at The Red. As the baby sister of four rowdy brothers, Cami believes she'll have no problem keeping her new friendship with Trenton Maddox strictly platonic. But when a Maddox boy falls in love, he loves forever--even if she is the only reason their already broken family could fall apart. In the first installment of the Maddox Brothers books, readers can experience the rush of reading Beautiful Disaster for the first time, all over again"--… (more)
Member:Marilyn95
Title:Beautiful Oblivion: A Novel (The Maddox Brothers Series)
Authors:Jamie McGuire (Author)
Info:Atria Books (2014), 336 pages
Rating:*****

Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuire

Recently added bySlh234, wastedminds, private library, Arina40, jessie_mae, MarianaRodriguez, discobiscuit, Tip44

The best description for this book/series in 10 words or less:
"Woman struggles to love man because family can really suck."

First off, I absolutely love that the stories of all the Maddox brothers' lives all intermixed with each of their stories. I think it's a unique idea that authors have been more recently been doing with their stand-alone novels by making them into companion novels. You won't necessarily miss too much if you read these books out of order or just read one.

I also love how the story is told through the woman's (Cami) view rather than the man's (Trent) view. It truly shows how hard and what Trent goes through in order to win Cami's heart. It shows his loyalty and love in a very personal way while she tries to wrestle with all the

I love that Cami gets tattoos and how she becomes more of who she is rather than feeling forced to do what her family wanted. I think she's super relatable to a certain demographic than that the other women in this companion series do not come from and deal with.

Trent is awesome when it comes to kids. He is very protective of his little neighbor, Olive, who he acts like a big brother to her. His protectiveness carries to Cami. You don't see tough men like that spend time with kids that aren't their own in books so this was a breath of fresh air.

Cami's family agitated me, but I think this is to show you how strong and independent of a woman she is. She's the only one that is smart enough to remove herself from the detrimental situation. Her father is abusive and an alcoholic who beats Cami's mother, which her mother refuses to do anything. One of her brothers makes her feel obligated to fix his mistakes to save her family from her father's anger.

Trent is often sometimes a little controlling, which is partly because he is extremely protective from an incident in the past. I think this humanizes Trent more as a character because trauma can instill fear and insecurity like in his case.

Refer to my blog for a different view of this review:

Check out other books in my personal library for reviews and recommendations:
https://literarymary.libib.com/ ( )
  Marilyn95 | May 30, 2020 |
I enjoyed it, but yeah TJs identity was kind of obvious. ( )
  Crystal423 | Mar 23, 2020 |
Awkward, far-fetched and cliched at the same time. The follow-up is the same way. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
Jamie McGuire has a new book coming out in August. I started to read it, and it does involved some characters from her previous books. I have not read the Maddox brother series in several years, and found myself trying to remember more around the past reads than the current one. So, I decided to binge read the previous series!

It has been four years since I had read Beautiful Oblivion. I gave this five stars when I first read it, and I am giving this five stars now! I am not normally one to re-read anything as normally the whole story, details and all, will come back to me. Since this was so long ago, it was refreshing reading this again. I did not remember much. I ended up loving it and am ready for more Maddox brothers! ( )
  SimplyKelina | Jun 19, 2018 |
Once I put all of the pieces together in my head, I will post a review. :) ( )
  AmberGoleb | Mar 13, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

I won't break his heart to fix you. -Emily Kinney, "Times Square"
For Liis McKinstry. Thank you for all that you do,
and for everything that you are,

And for Jessica Landers,
you are a reason to smile and a generous spirit.
His words hung there, in the darkness between our voices.
I won't break his heart to fix you.
                   -Emily Kinney, "Times Square"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,747,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible