Kingsman: The Secret Service by Mark Millar

Kingsman: The Secret Service

by Mark Millar, Dave Gibbons (Illustrator)

Series: The Secret Service (01)

A good read, but I, and I can't believe I'm typing this, I think I liked the movie better! Arr!!! I rarely/never say that! It's definitely a cool story, and I liked seeing where the Kingsman came from, but I believe I do prefer the movie. I don't feel good about that, but it's the truth. Sorry, I feel dizzy... ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Aug 20, 2017 |
This book was just not good. To be fair, I read this after seeing (and loving) the movie adaptation, and I was possibly judging it a little extra harshly for not being the movie, which is how my 1 1/2 stars rounded up to 2 instead of down to 1.

Aside from not being as great as the movie it inspired, this book still did not have a lot going for it. The story felt incredibly rushed, and none of the characters or plot points were well developed. I also found the art to be subpar, and rarely could I ever tell the male characters apart, especially after Eggsy suited up and suddenly aged about 20 years. ( )
  photonegative | Aug 12, 2017 |
The comic predecessor to the movie Kingsman, it's actually a much better-plotted story with a less cinematic (and less stupid) conclusion. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of violence from a Millar book. While I'm going to be wary of any movie sequels, this is a story I'd like to see more of. ( )
  thoughtbox | May 27, 2016 |
Having read this after watching the movie there are definitely things that this did better and there are definitely things the movie did better. Still a funny, smart, spy book but not as over the top as the film. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Millar, MarkAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gibbons, DaveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lanning, AndyIllustrator.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKie, AngusColorist.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Gary's life is going nowhere. He lives in public housing with his mother and spends his nights carousing with his friends. But Gary's Uncle Jack has taken a different path of glamour, danger and mystery. When Jack has to get his nephew out of trouble, their lives are going to intersect in a way neither of them could have foreseen. This book comes from Mark Millar (Kick-Ass) and Dave Gibbons (Watchmen).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:34 -0400)

"From the writer of Kick-Ass and the artist of Watchmen comes a collaboration decades in the making! The world's greatest secret agent is on the most exciting case of his career. But will the end of the world as know it take a back seat to training his street-punk nephew to be the next James Bond? meanwhile, what's the secret link between a series of kidnapped sci-fi stars, the murder of an entire town, and a dark secret from inside Mount Everest? Under Uncle Jack's supervision, Gary's spy skills and confidence blossom--but when the duo learn what's behind the celebrity kidnappings, the knowledge comes at a price. The conspiracy begins to unravel, but who can be trusted when so many prominent figures seem to be involved? It's a must-be-seen-to-be-believed action spectacle!"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible