Clown Girl: A Novel by Monica Drake

Clown Girl: A Novel (edition 2007)

by Monica Drake, Chuck Palahniuk (Introduction)

Member:mclobes
Title:Clown Girl: A Novel
Authors:Monica Drake
Other authors:Chuck Palahniuk (Introduction)
Info:Hawthorne Books (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***

Clown Girl by Monica Drake

The introducton was written by Chuck Palahniuk and I love him. So I went into this thinking, that if he loves the book then I will too. I did not love this book. It is about Sniffles aka Nita a girl clown who is in love with Rex Galore also a clown. Rex is away waiting for his audition into clown college. We follow Sniffles through a lot of missing Rex, fainting in the heat and "corporate" clown jobs. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
[CEDUTO]. Non è una "commedia vertiginosa" (salvo alcune scene dove ci si potrebbe vedere bene Peter Sellers dei primi tempi) e non è una "rutilante sequenza di battute" (non me ne viene in mente neppure una). E' un piu' che dignitoso testo, scritto da una lontana parente letteraria di Palahniuk, che si presta alla introduzione [spero] per amicizia e non perchè crede fino in fondo a quello che afferma.
Senz'altro, la scrittura è attenta e creativa; la signora D. conosce il mestiere, ma scrive forse piu' da "mestierante" che non da narratrice.
Per il resto, con tutti i libri che si pubblicano ogni anno, ci sta che entrando in libreria si tira su a caso anche questo. Andarselo a cercare è già più grave... ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
Tried reading this twice and couldn't finish it, rubbish and I'm confused why Pahalniuk gave such a great introduction for her. He talked her up and she fell way short. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
A brilliant and hilarious book. I know that not everyone shares my sense of humor, but I disagree strongly with most of these negative reviews. Especially those that say Clown Girl just limps around town feeling sorry for herself. This is a girl with talent and ambition. She's constantly trying to improve her situation; she just doesn't always make the right choices.

I've never read anything like Clown Girl. I loved the character and I loved the book. ( )
  keneumey | Jun 4, 2014 |
Balloon Tying for Christ was the cheapest balloon manual I could find.

Clown Girl lives in Baloneytown, a seedy neighborhood where drugs, balloon animals, and even rubber chickens contribute to the local currency. Against a backdrop of petty crime, she struggles to live her dreams, calling on cultural masters Charlie Chaplin, Kafka, and da Vinci for inspiration. In an effort to support herself and her layabout performance-artist boyfriend, Clown Girl finds herself unwittingly transformed into a "corporate clown," trapping herself in a cycle of meaningless, high-paid gigs that veer dangerously close to prostitution. Monica Drake has created a novel that riffs on the high comedy of early film stars — most notably Chaplin and W. C. Fields — to raise questions of class, gender, economics, and prejudice. Resisting easy classification, this debut novel blends the bizarre, the humorous, and the gritty with stunning skill.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:09 -0400)

Clown Girl lives in Baloneytown, a seedy neighborhood where drugs, balloon animals, and even rubber chickens contribute to the local currency. Against a backdrop of petty crime, she struggles to live her dreams, calling on cultural masters Charlie Chaplin, Kafka, and da Vinci for inspiration. In an effort to support herself and her layabout performance-artist boyfriend, Clown Girl finds herself unwittingly transformed into a "corporate clown," trapping herself in a cycle of meaningless, high-paid gigs that veer dangerously close to prostitution. Monica Drake has created a novel that riffs on the high comedy of early film stars most notably Chaplin and W. C. Fields to raise questions of class, gender, economics, and prejudice. Resisting easy classification, this debut novel blends the bizarre, the humorous, and the gritty with stunning skill.… (more)

Monica Drake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,944,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible