Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Different Seasons by Stephen King

Different Seasons (1982)

by Stephen King

6,980101840 (3.99)2 / 183

English (98)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (100)
... ( )
  Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |
"The Breathing Method" **2 STARS**

I really saw no point to this story. The only exciting moment was the very end. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
"The Breathing Method" **2 STARS**

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
"Different Seasons" is probably my favorite collection of SK novellas.
"Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" is so beautiful. Andy Dufrense is sent to Shawshank for murdering his cheating wife and her lover, only he's innocent. He meets Red, who actually is guilty of murder. Red is the go to guy who can get you things in prison, and over the years he gets a few things for Andy: rock polishing tools, a poster of Rita Hayworth. The ending is just brilliant.
"Apt Pupil" is quite frightening, actually. A teenage boy named Todd figures out his neighbor was a Nazi during WW2 and insists he describe to him, in graphic detail, all the atrocities he committed.
"The Body" is the one the movie "Stand By Me" is based on. It's actually a very sweet story about childhood friendships. Four young boys who are all misfits in some way decide to go hunt for a dead body rumored to be in the woods by the railroad tracks. Supposedly SK saw a dead body when he was just a kid and was traumatized by it, and that gave him the basis for this story.
And finally. "Breathing Method", about a woman who is determined to give birth to her baby no matter what. All in all a solid collection of stories. ( )
1 vote bekkil1977 | Feb 10, 2018 |
A quartet of amazing stories that help to prove that Stephen King is much more than just a horror writer.

In Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption we lean about one mans determination to find freedom. In Apt Pupil we fallow along with a deadly, high-stakes mind game between a star student and a war criminal on the run. In The Body we fallow along with 4 boys on a search to find the body of a boy their age who may hold the personal meaning to life and death for each of them. In The Breathing Method it is a time before the Lamaze method and a doctor and his female patient learn just how horrible bringing new life into the world can be.

All these tales are amazing reads and at least 3 of them have made for great movies. ( )
1 vote Emery_Demers | Jan 23, 2018 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Craft, KinukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is the tale, not he who tells it.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap. -AC/DC
I heard it through the grapevine. - Norman Whitfield
Tout s'en va, tout passe, l'eau coule, et le oublie. -Flaubert
Hope Springs Eternal (Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption) Russ and Florence Dorr
Summer Of Corruption (Apt Pupil) For Elaine Koster and Herbert Schnall
Fall From Innocence (The Body) For George McLeod
A Winter's Tale (The Breathing Method) For Peter and Susan Straub
Hope Springs Eternal ∙Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption∙ ... There's a guy like me in every state and federal prison in America, I guess-I'm the guy who can get it for you.
Summer Of Corruption ∙Apt Pupil∙ ... He looked like the total all-American kid as he pedaled his twenty-six inch Schwinn with the apehanger handlebars up the residential suburban street, and that's just what he was: Todd Bowden, thirteen years old, five-feet-eight and a healthy one hundred and forty pounds, hair the color of ripe corn, blue eyes, white even teeth, lightly tanned skin marred by not even the first shadow of adolescent acne.
Fall From Innocence ∙The Body∙ ... The most important things are the hardest things to say.
A Winter's Tale ∙The Breathing Method∙ ... I dressed a bit more speedily than normal on the snowy,windy, bitter night-I admit.
Since I am innocent of this crime, sir, and since I am telling the truth about throwing my gun into the river the day before the crime took place, then it seems to me decidedly inconvenient that the gun was never found. -Andy Dufresne, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption

Contents:

Hope Springs Eternal: Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption
Summer of Corruption: Apt Pupil
Fall From Innocence: The Body
A Winter's Tale: The Breathing Method
Afterword

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451167538, Mass Market Paperback)

Different Seasons (1982) is a collection of four novellas, markedly different in tone and subject, each on the theme of a journey. The first is a rich, satisfying, nonhorrific tale about an innocent man who carefully nurtures hope and devises a wily scheme to escape from prison. The second concerns a boy who discards his innocence by enticing an old man to travel with him into a reawakening of long-buried evil. In the third story, a writer looks back on the trek he took with three friends on the brink of adolescence to find another boy's corpse. The trip becomes a character-rich rite of passage from youth to maturity.

These first three novellas have been made into well-received movies: "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" into Frank Darabont's 1994 The Shawshank Redemption (available as a screenplay, a DVD film, and an audiocassette), "Apt Pupil" into Bryan Singer's 1998 film Apt Pupil (also released in 1998 on audiocassette), and "The Body" into Rob Reiner's Stand by Me (1986).

The final novella, "Breathing Lessons," is a horror yarn told by a doctor, about a patient whose indomitable spirit keeps her baby alive under extraordinary circumstances. It's the tightest, most polished tale in the collection. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:11 -0400)

A quartet of suspense thrillers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,484,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible